Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 09:32 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,414,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ahh, but it does do something to protect you. Say someone is out to do you harm and you know you have a loaded gun in your car. If you can just run and get to it before he gets to you.

Of course, with property rights, people do have the right to tell you to leave your car off their property, so you can't carry everywhere.

As far as saying that one is reasonable, well they may be, but one must realize that the aggressor, crook or crook to be, will use "reasonable" to their advantage. For example, due to their commitment, they know when the battle will start, the innocent does not. They must react in that instance, already slightly behind the power curve.

I have this situation "on my desk" of a woman where her boyfriend told her, "I wonder what it would be like to murder you?". To him, it was a joke, but to her, to many where it is a very real situation, it is no joke and further, it may result in a strike. One of the Hazelwood (that FBI profiler) case histories had a serial rapist who commented, "I wonder how (woman's name) will react when I tell her I am going to rape her.". Hence, in my world, no jokes for making such statements means I have to strike instantly and take the person out, perhaps long enough to get away, perhaps for other measures.

Hence, we come back to "reasonable". The crook is attacking......just how long do you think you have to get your gun and be ready to defend yourself?
I don’t know…you clearly think you need immediate access to a fire arm all the time. If that’s the case, anything less than this will be unreasonable. No space for compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I don’t know…you clearly think you need immediate access to a fire arm all the time. If that’s the case, anything less than this will be unreasonable. No space for compromise.
No, I clearly think I need immediate access to weapons all the time......a gun is just one of them. Further, I think like a genie in that for what someone says, I do not immediately assume one conclusion for its meaning.

But this does get back to what I am saying that in the armchair QB world, so many people want to take that situation where they know all the facts in the aftermath and they want to make laws that will apply to all people, all the time.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:18 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
No, I clearly think I need immediate access to weapons all the time......a gun is just one of them. Further, I think like a genie in that for what someone says, I do not immediately assume one conclusion for its meaning.

But this does get back to what I am saying that in the armchair QB world, so many people want to take that situation where they know all the facts in the aftermath and they want to make laws that will apply to all people, all the time.
Well, yeah. That’s kind of how we do things, right? Events transpire, we assess, we adjust. You apparently seem to believe that any reaction is always an over reaction. And clearly, if you believe you need immediate access to a weapon of some kind all the time, then you are going to see any restriction on that as an over reaction. Frankly, I think it’s a mistaken perspective and doesn’t reflect a particularly balanced viewpoint, but hey, people disagree about all sorts of stuff.

Last edited by WVNomad; 11-03-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Do you have a study to back that up? I think a 1-4 year old is more likely to die with access to a swimming pool than a firearm. With the gun if it goes off it has to be pointed at someone. With the pool when someone that young falls in it's more likely to be fatal. Should parents be charged when unattended kids drown in swimming pools?
That's not how you do statistics.

You take the ratio of experiences, to the number of adverse outcomes.

So.

Virtually every kid in the United States has been in a swimming pool, and a very few of them drown. (But too many, we still need to work on pool safety).

Very few small kids have had the opportunity to play with a loaded gun, but those who have, many of them have had a bad outcome.

The joy of swimming, and quality of life from recreational activities, are a huge positive with swimming, and as such, swimming should be encouraged.

No one ever, ever benefits from a small child playing with a loaded gun. There's no upside.

That's how you compare gun access to swimming pool access.

But yes, I do think occasionally when a child drowns it's due to habitual, purposeful parental neglect, and I think sometimes criminal charges are warranted in that case.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:55 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not how you do statistics.

Very few small kids have had the opportunity to play with a loaded gun, but those who have, many of them have had a bad outcome.
To reiterate your point, that's not how you do statistics. To compare every child who had ever been in a swimming pool to every child who "had the opportunity to play with a loaded gun" is obviously comparing two very disparate populations. If you wanted to compare households with swimming pools and households with guns, that would be a far better comparative measure if one were assessing household risk. The other stats looking purely at the population of kids vs the deaths by a certain cause is just as "correct", it's results simply has a different meaning. It's not "how you run the numbers", it's understanding how the numbers were run and what it means.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:14 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Quote:
Well keep in mind that whenever you are handling a gun in the car away from the home, you are doing so "in public" and you are breaking camouflage security so that anyone who sees can be someone who might break in and steal to those who panic off the deep end with they see someone with a gun.

So going through the manual of arms from unloading to chambering and back again is not only something to be done in private being done in public but is also a rather difficult thing to do when sitting in one's car. I am always tense when I am decocking the hammer on a 1911 and even doing chambering with something with a decock lever is a tense moment. At home, I do it in the bed room, aiming at the mattress......but there are no mattresses in the car.
See what I said before about a gun needing to be ready to use one handed.
Gotcha, so being too lazy to clear the chamber of your unattended gun in your pickup is acceptable. It is too much to ask for that people actually now how to properly handle their guns and make practice proper gun safety. It’s idiots like these that give gun owners a bad name. Someone could’ve broken into his truck and used his own gun on himself.

Do you think you’re going to be in a situation driving down the road that would involve either having your safety off or your gun chambered to deal with someone who may randomly attack you, or do you think it is more likely that you accidentally fire your pistol in your vehicle because you had it loose in your truck safety off and chambered?

I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’m a defensive driver and try to avoid road rage that I don’t anticipate myself shooting out of my vehicle on a whim. If you do that’s fine, just remember to 1) not leave your gun in your vehicle unattended and 2) if you’re in a place where your gun is going to be left unattended try to not be so lazy and unchamber the round and engage the safety. It helps prevent accidents like this one.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
From the CDC:

So for kids 1-4, water is far more dangerous than guns.
Careful ... you'll have posters demanding that every child younger that 5 must wear a life jacket at all times.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
To reiterate your point, that's not how you do statistics. To compare every child who had ever been in a swimming pool to every child who "had the opportunity to play with a loaded gun" is obviously comparing two very disparate populations. If you wanted to compare households with swimming pools and households with guns, that would be a far better comparative measure if one were assessing household risk. The other stats looking purely at the population of kids vs the deaths by a certain cause is just as "correct", it's results simply has a different meaning. It's not "how you run the numbers", it's understanding how the numbers were run and what it means.
Aside from the fact that the majority of children killed by firearms are shot by adults.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:20 AM

59,041 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It also said the toddler climbed into the truck by himself.

How did he get the door to the truck open? How did he climb up by himself?
I asked this earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies