Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 03:19 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I also wish you well and hope you get out of jury duty.
We get our share of NY and NJ transplants here. I can see these folks wish to leave NY. Good luck to you.
Thanks! If I get another summons in May 2023, I can call and say I tested positive for covid the night before with a home testing kit, so it would be too late to submit a doctor's note, and I would be the last person they will want to see show up in court room, and a doctor wouldn't want me in his office either, problem solved!

Be nice to those transplants, they have probably been through the ringer in NY since they left to move south.
the folks that remain here are either paying high bills or living here for free. I used to live in Florida twenty years ago, but I don't like the heat anymore since I got older to move back. This weekend the forecast for NY is 72 degrees, that heat in the first week of Nov. will break all the records. People used to say someday a banana tree will grow in NY, maybe the time has come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not get you people. Why not serve on a jury after retirement? You have nothing better to do.
Because we want to stay retired instead of being dead from covid!

Old 11-03-2022, 03:34 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh so I see, we are still making the argument from last year and we can't get off that now? I wasn't aware that the OP of this thread was demanding people wear masks.
No, I just followed the post trail back for context, and it appears post #64 addressed mandates. If you didn’t mean to continue that line, then that is a separate matter.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:38 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
My brother was just diagnosed with a bone lesion in the pelvic area, he thinks he might have had covid (all his family did), but he always tested negative. He's had the first two shots and one booster. Doing research, I found studies that indicate even mild covid can cause muscolo/skeletal disorders and vaccination can make them worse! So I wouldn't pay too much attention to the people who say covid is just a cold and everyone who wears a mask is paranoid or has irrational covid fears:

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/rg.220036
They admitted that there were a lot of false positive and false negative tests.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:41 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Thanks! If I get another summons in May 2023, I can call and say I tested positive for covid the night before with a home testing kit, so it would be too late to submit a doctor's note, and I would be the last person they will want to see show up in court room, and a doctor wouldn't want me in his office either, problem solved!

Be nice to those transplants, they have probably been through the ringer in NY since they left to move south.
the folks that remain here are either paying high bills or living here for free. I used to live in Florida twenty years ago, but I don't like the heat anymore since I got older to move back. This weekend the forecast for NY is 72 degrees, that heat in the first week of Nov. will break all the records. People used to say someday a banana tree will grow in NY, maybe the time has come.
Thats a whole other thread right there.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats a whole other thread right there.
I was trying to inject a little humor in my last post. I was a transplant when I lived in Florida, and the one thing my Floridian co-workers didn't want to hear was, "that's how we did it in NY." Sometimes i would get comments on my NY accent, as time went by I started to lose some of it, but I was always treated well by the locals.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:02 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
I’ve yet at age 40 to have to serve. Never once received a summons when I lived in Texas for 6 years somehow. When I grew up in NJ I got called once but my dad informed them I was at school and never was called again. The one time I got a summons in Atlanta the useless mail l service here delivered it to me on 4/9, my court date was 4/4. I kept waiting and waiting for another and never got it. When I mentioned the story to a friend he pieced together that most likely I didn’t need to report that day as there is a number to call the night before. So despite not receiving the summons they didn’t need me to show and my service was completed anyhow. I was told by a law friend one of the best ways to get out during questioning is to mention how you don’t buy into convictions today based on circumstantial evidence and you’ll only seriously consider guilt with forensics

Old 11-04-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I’ve yet at age 40 to have to serve. Never once received a summons when I lived in Texas for 6 years somehow. When I grew up in NJ I got called once but my dad informed them I was at school and never was called again. The one time I got a summons in Atlanta the useless mail l service here delivered it to me on 4/9, my court date was 4/4. I kept waiting and waiting for another and never got it. When I mentioned the story to a friend he pieced together that most likely I didn’t need to report that day as there is a number to call the night before. So despite not receiving the summons they didn’t need me to show and my service was completed anyhow. I was told by a law friend one of the best ways to get out during questioning is to mention how you don’t buy into convictions today based on circumstantial evidence and you’ll only seriously consider guilt with forensics
Good tips!

Old 11-04-2022, 07:19 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I have been excluded from every jury pool. A few times I made it to the questioning round, where they try to gauge what kind of juror you'd be.

One time it was for a murder trial, and I kind of wanted to participate just to see how the whole thing would pan out. So I did my best to answer the questions how I thought the lawyer wanted them to be answered. The problem is, both the defense and the prosecutor get to eliminate you, and what they look for can be opposites.

I was never selected, and I wonder why!

Old 11-04-2022, 10:12 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
If you're posting on C-D, that pretty much means you like to give your opinion. Jury duty is the ultimate of giving opinions that counts.

Why wouldn't you want to help put the bad guys in jail or compensate the victim that was hurt? Real life justice!

I've always gone and was only chosen once. I found it very interesting and worthwhile. Last time we got lectures from the judge that he didn't care if we were self-employed, etc, it was our duty. And all of us who had our own businesses had to work after jury duty that week.

I'd actually like to be the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies