Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 07:12 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Why do you think you are going to get sat on a jury? Assuming you get to the point of being selected (which the odds are in your favor) you simply have to say to the Judge "I cannot be fair and impartial".

If the Judge says "Why"

You just go "because I can't"

You will be dismissed.
Yeah but the chances are a person can sit in a hall full of others for a week waiting to not get selected in the first place. Like me. I lost money on not even being selected. So the next time I got a summons I got the boss to tell them that I am indispensable to the business.

Having a civic duty to do jury is one thing but not at my expense. I never got plagued by them again once I became self employed. Just chance or did that exempt me?

Quite frankly, I would be quite nervous being tried by a bunch of my pears. One poor guy was found guilty and sentenced to life. After 13 years he got a retrial in which he was found not guilty. The minister of justice said that he would not be getting compensation for wrongful imprisonment because the jury could be wrong. So why did they imprison him in the first place if the jury could be wrong? But yeah, being judged by a jury is scary to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 07:49 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You all do realize this was like 2 years ago at the most right? We were alive and present when this happened. When the vaccines first came out it was 100% promoted that they would prevent you from getting covid. It was actually sold to people as a reason to get the vaccine. Then you could go back to life as normal because you would be safe to be around. Of course vaccinated people starting getting covid shortly after and then the narrative changed to prevent serious illness and death. However if you really think it was never sold as an anti covid cure then you need to get your memory checked.

And just like the vaccine this was another lie that was sold to people and then quietly changed. Just slap any old rag around your pie hole and save all the old people! Anyone who tells you that bandana ain't doing **** is a murdering evil dealer of miss information.
I don't have to check my memory because I don't follow pseudoscience believe what you want I don't care.

Your nonsense about masks is not true the idea was to contain the snot, spit, and phlegm that flies out of someone's face when the sneeze, cough, or talk loudly. If everyone wore a face cover that nasty stuff stays contained to their head not all over your face. This has been stated 1000 times on this forum but it doesn't go along with the narrative of right vr left politics.

Today hardy anyone wears a mask wearing one yourself does nothing unless as I stated it's a N95 been proven to filter viruses.

Sitting in a room full of people for Jury duty who are not wearing masks the person who chooses to wear one unless it's N95 or better it's worthless.

Last edited by kell490; 11-02-2022 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-02-2022, 07:58 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I hear you about jury duty. I've been called many times, never picked. Wonder why

But, if you're scared of COVID, now is the time to let that fear go, and resume normal life. It's just a cold.
Covid is still killing 300 to 400 Americans per day. It's not just a cold.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:59 PM

276 posts, read 146,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Not exactly true the idea was to contain the snot, spit, and phlegm that flies out of someone's face when the sneeze or talk loudly. If everyone wore a face cover that nasty stuff stays contained to their head not all over your face.

Today hardy anyone wears a mask wearing one yourself does nothing unless as I stated it's a N95 been proven to filter viruses.
Your second statement contradicts your first.

If wearing anything but an N95 does nothing today it did nothing a year ago and should have never been mandated. Stopping snot does not stop an airborne virus.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
When I went to the DMV to register a car I had the N95 on and due to a mistake they made I was forced to stay longer, and I couldn't do it. I was at the counter and told the DMV employee I had to walk out in the hallway, I couldn't breath with the mask on anymore so he said do what you have to do. After getting some air I went back in. What the heck would I do in that situation if I was on jury duty?
what's your SSDI condition?

Old 11-02-2022, 08:07 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Your second statement contradicts your first.

If wearing anything but an N95 does nothing today it did nothing a year ago and should have never been mandated. Stopping snot does not stop an airborne virus.
Do you cover your mouth when you sneeze do you just let it fly into someone's face?

Old 11-02-2022, 08:18 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OMG, you people. If you got the vaccine, wash your hands after being in public places, and don’t go around people with the virus......
OP wouldn't know whether someone else in the jury pool room or court room has the virus.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:27 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Funny story here. We have governors letting vicious, violent criminals, young adults to middle age, the lowest risk group to Covid, and and letting them out of prison, supposedly over the fear of them catching a cold. Pretty hard to justify the highest risk group in the nation (elderly) being forced to perform jury duty if it's that big an issue. Reminds me of governors forcing nursing homes to take Covid patients.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:57 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what's your SSDI condition?
It's muscolo-skelatal issues involving chronic pain, now that I'm so much older than I was when I first got on SSDI, the chronic pain is much worse adding more chronic conditions like sciatica to the original one. I think the breathing problem with the mask is from a deviated septum, sinus problems, etc. One doctor told me I would never have a good nose unless I had surgery but I never did. I have inhalant allergies also, sometimes the mask helps that and sometimes it makes it worse. I have a neighbor with the same problem, she can only wear the mask for short periods. Sometimes if a store is too hot (like today) I go into an empty aisle and open the mask a little so I can breathe better.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:16 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny story here. We have governors letting vicious, violent criminals, young adults to middle age, the lowest risk group to Covid, and and letting them out of prison, supposedly over the fear of them catching a cold. Pretty hard to justify the highest risk group in the nation (elderly) being forced to perform jury duty if it's that big an issue. Reminds me of governors forcing nursing homes to take Covid patients.
Agreed. I started to get testy with the juror rep on the phone asking her why I'm being forced to go to a doctor's office for an exemption note where there is more of a chance getting covid there since I'm in the high risk age group? She never answered me. I never mentioned getting covid in the courtroom, I didn't want to antagonize her , in the end she gave me a postponement until May 2023.

I liked the suggestion of getting a tele-health doctor to send a note that I can't serve, but who knows if they will really do it.

I wanted to note I live in an area which is usually high risk, many still wear masks here, especially the elderly. Many upstate NY counties have been declared high risk already, my southern NY county isn't high risk yet this autumn. Yesterday there were no Trick or Treaters at my home, that told me the fear of covid isn't over. I read posts here from people who say they test positive for covid but go out anyway because they feel good. I'll continue wearing my mask so I don't come into close contact with them.

Last edited by wp169; 11-02-2022 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies