Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 06:54 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The republic part is the constitution. A set of non-negotiables; free speech, right to self defense, right to make decisions at the state level, etc. The rest is up for debate through elected representatives but they can’t make laws that infringe on the set of non-negotiables in the constitution. Which is harder than it sounds.
... and the representatives can IGNORE the "will of the people" and vote any way they want with the only recourse is to elect better representatives next time. That is why the United States is NOT a "Democracy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
If you don't think the Democrats steal elections, read the history of Chicago. It is accepted that they stole the election for mayor for many years. The trash haulers were the highest paid city employees for years because their union could swing elections. Want trash service, vote for Daley. Between Daley Sr. and Daley Jr., they were mayor for 43 years.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:58 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
How is the election being stolen for Joe Biden supporting democracy? It seems like the actual patriots are the ones who are disputing the stolen election and should be saluted for standing up for democracy.
Like the protesters in Brazil. They are disputing a stolen election.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:18 AM

880 posts, read 564,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If you don't think the Democrats steal elections, read the history of Chicago. It is accepted that they stole the election for mayor for many years. The trash haulers were the highest paid city employees for years because their union could swing elections. Want trash service, vote for Daley. Between Daley Sr. and Daley Jr., they were mayor for 43 years.

I won't get into other extenuating conditions on election security, but with respect to election fraud, we know as matter of fact, that the Democrats drastically violated election laws, using COVID as a means to subvert our checks and balances.

In all of the major swing states, Democrats got into the elections departments and... using COVID-19 as an excuse, wantonly violated state election laws to perform the following:
  • Mass mail-in voting... in some cases, just sending out a ballot to literally everyone who was registered to vote.
  • Ballot harvesting, as in... allowing people to go door to door and collect ballots on behalf of the political party.
  • Ballot drop-boxes... allowing people from anywhere to be able to deliver ballots, without any verification.
  • Waiving registration deadlines
  • Waiving signature verification
  • Waiving proof of identity verification
... and so much more.

This allowed rampant and mass voting violations. I've gone through this whole thing before, and people say... "show me the proof, you have no proof!!!" so here it is... state supreme courts ruling that the states violated their own election laws:

Michigan:
- https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...bsentee-ballot
- https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...id/4699927001/
- https://trendingpolitics.com/michiga...ot-order-knab/

Pennsylvania:
- https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...-law-decision/
- https://thefederalist.com/2022/01/17...roken-in-2020/

Wisconsin:
- https://www.reuters.com/world/us/wis...ns-2022-07-08/
- https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ate-state-law/

Georgia:
- https://www.gpb.org/news/2020/10/09/...race-will-move
- https://thefederalist.com/2022/07/14...-laws-in-2020/

There have been some other recent court rulings, but these are really the only ones I remember off hand. I can't remember the other states. I think maybe North Carolina, and a few others. What's even more crazy, a year ago, even me just posting this would have constituted a violation of terms and conditions for spreading "misinformation," even though it's literally all fact.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:25 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
About a century. Nixon, a Republican, finally used federal force to desegregate the South's schools in 1970, 16 years AFTER Brown v. Board of Ed. Note that neither JFK nor his successor LBJ (both Democrats) ever lifted a finger to do so. They kept segregated schools intact. It's pretty clear exactly which party is pro-Jim Crow racial discrimination based on that historical fact.
Your point is the Country should have allowed Donald Trump to become president, & they would not start another civil war?

Old 11-03-2022, 12:34 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's okay when they do it.
He didn't incite a mob to stop the peaceful transfer of power. Big difference.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:12 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Your point is the Country should have allowed Donald Trump to become president, & they would not start another civil war?
My point is that Democrats are the party of Jim Crow. They refused to desegregate schools for another 16 years AFTER Brown v. Board of Ed. It took Nixon, a Republican, to finally use federal force to desegregate schools in 1970. Democrats JFK and LBJ allowed segregated schools to continue to racially discriminate.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:28 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
My point is that Democrats are the party of Jim Crow. They refused to desegregate schools for another 16 years AFTER Brown v. Board of Ed. It took Nixon, a Republican, to finally use federal force to desegregate schools in 1970. Democrats JFK and LBJ allowed segregated schools to continue to racially discriminate.
It is very clear that you are disputing the outcome of the 2020 presidential election:

Here:
Quote:
They WERE unconstitutional. In too many states, including PA, WI, etc., persons in the executive branch of state government made unilateral changes to federal election procedures. The US Constitution specifically stipulates that only the state legislatures may do so. So, sorry to tell you, but the 2020 federal election results were Constitutionally invalid in several states.
Here:
Quote:
Correct. There were illegal, unconstitutional federal election procedure changes made in several states, as I just posted.

It was dereliction of duty that SCOTUS wouldn't hear any challenges to state election results based on this. It is THEIR JOB to support and defend the US Constitution. They've ALL sworn an oath to do so.
The Compromise of 1877 settled an intensely disputed presidential election, by appeasing the Confederacy, ending Reconstruction, & ushering in Jim Crow for a century. To resolve the disputes in the absence of a clear constitutional directive, Congress passed the Electoral Commission Act.

In 1877, the Confederates agreed they would not start another civil war, what do they want in 2022?

Old 11-03-2022, 06:53 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He didn't incite a mob to stop the peaceful transfer of power. Big difference.
Neither did Trump and this leftist BS needs to stop!

Old 11-03-2022, 07:03 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I doubt you and I don't need a course in civics or forgiveness for my student loans.
My civics books said what I just told you. A republic is a representative democracy besides. Just one's that elect their leaders to vote on issues for their constituents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The republic part is the constitution. A set of non-negotiables; free speech, right to self defense, right to make decisions at the state level, etc. The rest is up for debate through elected representatives but they can’t make laws that infringe on the set of non-negotiables in the constitution. Which is harder than it sounds.
What you're descibing is majoritarianism, which to be sure is also a form of democracy; just not one that has safeguards that protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Even so, if there's free and fair (i.e. not showcase ones) elections for leaders - and at the sub-national level, ballot initiatives, state constitutional amendments, etc. - it's still a democracy, just a representative democracy/republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much restricted to the extreme right and the Founders...

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government,..."

https://constitutioncenter.org/the-c...-iv/clauses/42
Which means one where the people vote on who represents them in Congress, the state legislature, and so forth. It's still a form of democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Consent of the governed -- that's democracy. Electing representatives to handle the day to day business of governing is still democracy.

Republicans think they should be the ones in charge but since they are not the majority and haven't been for years, they cheat -- purge voting rolls, gerrymander districts, work to overthrow elections, ... and claim this is allowed because, you know, we are a republic.
You get an A!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
What? No diff between Democracy & Constitional Republic you say?

In a democracry, its majority rules. Is that what you think we have?

Ever heard of the Electoral College?

Why does each state get 2 Senators? Tiny Delaware gets 2, California gets 2 Is that majority rule?

Most 8th graders realize there's a relevant difference.
That's why it's a republic, not a mere majoritarianism democracy. Again, if the people elect their leaders, it's still a form of democracy - even if it is a representative republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies