Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 02:46 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
There's nothing to "decide." Any honest human being concerned about transparency and confidence in the result would recuse herself.

Honesty and Katie Hobbs do not belong in the same sentence, however.
Do you feel the same about all Secretary of State's running for Governor (or other office) regardless of the party they are in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 03:49 PM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Gee what is wrong with "I officially declare myself Governor". ????

Old 11-03-2022, 04:01 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, there is something to "decide".

Whether or not she'll fulfill her duties in her capacity as election supervisor (commissioner?) this election.

Less than a week out, and that decision hangs in the air.
And that's the issue. This is an obvious conflict of interest, the decision she should have made is to recurse herself once she announced she was running for Governor.

Are you saying that you don't see this as an issue and there is no problem that there is no conflict of interest or reason she would need to step down as elections chief?

Old 11-03-2022, 04:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And that's the issue. This is an obvious conflict of interest, the decision she should have made is to recurse herself once she announced she was running for Governor.

Are you saying that you don't see this as an issue and there is no problem that there is no conflict of interest or reason she would need to step down as elections chief?
I'm saying it's astonishing that this hasn't been resolved, and here we are at Election Week.

"Shoulds" have no place in this process. What is the process? Is it her decision, alone, to decide to shift her official duties to someone else in this race?

Or is there an appeal process? At this time, there is no time to follow that protocol. We're at the door of the election.

That this was left unresolved, is astonishing.

(And that makes me think it IS Hobb's decision to recuse or choose not to recuse herself from the duty.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:08 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm saying it's astonishing that this hasn't been resolved, and here we are at Election Week.

"Shoulds" have no place in this process. What is the process? Is it her decision, alone, to decide to shift her official duties to someone else in this race?

Or is there an appeal process? At this time, there is no time to follow that protocol. We're at the door of the election.

That this was left unresolved, is astonishing.

(And that makes me think it IS Hobb's decision to recuse or choose not to recuse herself from the duty.
FWIW I do not recall a current SOS in any state of either party recusing themselves when they were running for office.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:15 PM

3,279 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Do you feel the same about all Secretary of State's running for Governor (or other office) regardless of the party they are in?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I was also wondering if these same people believe a Republican Secretary of State should recuse themselves from any election where another Republican is running for office in an election they supervise. I mean where do you draw the line?

Old 11-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I was also wondering if these same people believe a Republican Secretary of State should recuse themselves from any election where another Republican is running for office in an election they supervise. I mean where do you draw the line?
Well, in retrospect, the line CERTAINLY should have been drawn with Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, who with no shame worked very hard to declare Bush the winner of the state's electoral votes, not trying in the least to hide her partisan behavior.

Man. She could have at least pretended to be neutral.

What seems somewhat likely to happen here in Arizona is Kari Lake will win by an eyelash, and Hobbs will oversee the election and graciously declare Lake the winner, after any possible automatic recounts.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-03-2022 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-03-2022, 04:46 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No they don't. It's too darn bad the Brian Kemp is busy. The solid answer is to have him come in and do Arizona's election since he isn't crooked.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:10 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
I agree she should recuse herself. But what specially makes her "despicable and pathetic"?
I've seen Tweets from her calling Republicans Nazis, while she was in office, which is really deranged. What else?

Old 11-03-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I've seen Tweets from her calling Republicans Nazis, while she was in office, which is really deranged. What else?
Not so fast.

She didn't call Republicans Nazis. She merely observed, that there are neo-nazis in Trump's base.

Sometimes, the truth is unflattering, and it hurts.

https://www.azmirror.com/2020/11/13/...ont-apologize/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies