Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 08:48 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The material in the USA is quite crappy. In most of the country, a strong wind risks your home being blown to bits.

The quality of the material and construction (not to mention character) are all superior in the UK.
There's some strong wind in that post alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 08:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Supply and demand.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:23 AM

510 posts, read 449,057 times
The major causes of today's ever increasing housing costs include the allowance of foreign investors, colleges, universities and conglomerates to buy up neighborhood residential properties and the allowance of air bnbs in neighborhoods. This is turn has had a ripple effect-higher taxation, higher utilities, higher insurance cost, etc.

Additionally, colleges and universities now accept more out of state than in state students so more students reside in cities. This allows landlords to lease slum apartments/dormitories while keeping rents extremely high.

Last edited by inquisitive2; 11-04-2022 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 09:24 AM

880 posts, read 565,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I like how foreigners love to make fun of the 'quality' of American homes being made of wood. Have you ever been to a house in the UK or Europe? They are small, and most don't fit modern day amenities. Many, if given the opportunity would switch to an American home in a heartbeat.

I will say though that craftsmanship of new homes are not on par with homes built in the first half of the 20th century.

It's also not entirely correct. Homes in places like the shortlines and throughout South Florida are made of solid concrete. My home in Fort Lauderdale is solid concrete, with roof trusses made of Miami-Dade slash-pine which is impervious to termites.

Homes in the U.S. are built to a very high standard, when you compare new with new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are lots of different styles of houses and apartments in the UK, and they range from the historic to the very modern, whilst gardens (yards) also vary, and this is especially the case in relation to rural areas as opposed to urban areas, where land is more expensive.

I know you weren't suggesting this... but it does irk me when I hear people around the world who come visit for a weekend say that American architecture is so plain. Like... I don't know where these people are going... we literally have the most diverse architecture in the world.

Just off the top of my head, I can name:
- Mediterranean (Spanish)

- Mid-Century Modern
- Tudor (German)
- Craftsman
- Shirtwaist
- New Orleans Shotgun
- Carolina Shotgun
- Arts & Crafts
- Queen Anne
- Queen Victorian
- Federal
- Plantation
- Brownstone
... I mean, I could go on almost forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The material in the USA is quite crappy. In most of the country, a strong wind risks your home being blown to bits.

The quality of the material and construction (not to mention character) are all superior in the UK.

This has to be parody, right? I can't imagine you're being serious...

Old 11-04-2022, 09:25 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Cry me a river. You’ve always had to pay to play with the old money inbred snobs on the upper east coast and the beautiful plastic people on the “cutting edge†west coast.

If you’re not rich enough swing it, there are about 40 other states to choose from. Mississippi. West Virginia. Kansas. And other garden spots. .

And that’s the beauty of this country some of you traitors clearly hate so much. If you don’t like something, don’t buy it! You are free to go F off to some other place within our 3.8 million square miles.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
The major causes of today's ever increasing housing costs include the allowance of foreign investors, colleges, universities and conglomerates to buy up neighborhood residential properties and the allowance of air bnbs in neighborhoods. This is turn has had a ripple effect-higher taxation, higher utilities, higher insurance costs, etc.

Additionally, colleges and universities now accept more out of state than in state students so more students reading in cities and essentially creating slum apartments/dormitories with extremely high rents.
So, you don't believe in free markets? Why should the government dictate who and who can't buy property?

Old 11-04-2022, 10:05 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
It's also not entirely correct. Homes in places like the shortlines and throughout South Florida are made of solid concrete.
In older construction such as Boca R. this is true, only having been a building material supplier in your area...many newer developments used lumber/drywall. In fact, all of them did on both coasts.
Then they made them look like concrete, by slapping my stucco over Tyvek.
Newly constructed homes are over-priced in this country, due to greedy developers and contractors.
And older the same due to greedy central banks manipulating the money supply with inflation and deflation.
That's why the average price has risen over 10 since we came off the gold standard, while wages haven't nearly risen the same amount to off-set rising housing costs.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
In older construction such as Boca R. this is true, only having been a building material supplier in your area...many newer developments used lumber/drywall. In fact, all of them did on both coasts.
Then they made them look like concrete, by slapping my stucco over Tyvek.
Newly constructed homes are over-priced in this country, due to greedy developers and contractors.
And older the same due to greedy central banks manipulating the money supply with inflation and deflation.
That's why the average price has risen over 10 since we came off the gold standard, while wages haven't nearly risen the same amount to off-set rising housing costs.
So you believe developers should sell homes for less even if the market bids the price higher?

What is a greedy central bank? Detailed explanation would be helpful.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:26 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
It's also not entirely correct. Homes in places like the shortlines and throughout South Florida are made of solid concrete. My home in Fort Lauderdale is solid concrete, with roof trusses made of Miami-Dade slash-pine which is impervious to termites.

Homes in the U.S. are built to a very high standard, when you compare new with new.

I know you weren't suggesting this... but it does irk me when I hear people around the world who come visit for a weekend say that American architecture is so plain. Like... I don't know where these people are going... we literally have the most diverse architecture in the world.

Just off the top of my head, I can name:
- Mediterranean (Spanish)

- Mid-Century Modern
- Tudor (German)
- Craftsman
- Shirtwaist
- New Orleans Shotgun
- Carolina Shotgun
- Arts & Crafts
- Queen Anne
- Queen Victorian
- Federal
- Plantation
- Brownstone
... I mean, I could go on almost forever.

This has to be parody, right? I can't imagine you're being serious...

You are in South Florida. Was your house built post Andrew?

In terms of concrete for single family housing, that's overwhelmingly not the case in most of the US.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:30 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I like how foreigners love to make fun of the 'quality' of American homes being made of wood. Have you ever been to a house in the UK or Europe? They are small, and most don't fit modern day amenities. Many, if given the opportunity would switch to an American home in a heartbeat.

I will say though that craftsmanship of new homes are not on par with homes built in the first half of the 20th century.
Are you familiar with "The three little pigs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies