Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Well, then. Get to demonstrating. That means case numbers and rulings, not dismissals.

Irrelevant.
It's not irrelevant. Lawlessly taking over a neighborhood is a completely different level of crime than lawlessly taking over the Capitol building during a ceremony to begin the peaceful transfer of power from one president to another, with the purpose of preventing the installation of a new president. Led by the outgoing president.

They're not even on the same scale.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:33 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's not irrelevant. Lawlessly taking over a neighborhood is a completely different level of crime than lawlessly taking over the Capitol building during a ceremony to begin the peaceful transfer of power from one president to another, with the purpose of preventing the installation of a new president. Led by the outgoing president.

Factually, not true. In your mind, perhaps.

in·sur·rec·tion
a violent uprising against an authority or government.

se·di·tion
conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

CHOP fits the definition exactly, J6 only fit the definition after the asshats violently entered the Capitol.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:37 PM

37,173 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Interesting how only 2 of the 5 were convicted of Seditious Conspiracy. All 5 were convicted of obstruction of an official proceeding. They could all receive a 20 year sentence. I'm sure there will be appeals.

Look at Steve Bannon. Sentenced to 4 months and allowed to be free until the appeal process is complete. Will the same happen with the Oath Keepers? I think Trump will pardon them all if he is re-elected. Criminals who do his bidding get a free pass.
Seditious conspiracy has a high standard of proof. The other three were apparently not in the loop with Meggs and Rhodes and others.

Bannon was convicted of a relatively minor crime compared to sedition and the related charges.

If they were to receive the maximum, Meggs is looking at 86 years, Rhodes at 60, and the other three 45-56 years each. Federal years, which mean no Time off for good behavior or anything else unless they are pardoned by a president.

They shouldn’t pin their hopes on Trump. Regardless of his “announcement” he is not running nor does he have any chance of winning the nomination.

Last edited by cuebald; 11-30-2022 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-30-2022, 12:51 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Oath Keeper convicted of Seditious Conspiracy
This is a hopeful sign for democracy. I'm glad to see it.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:53 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Some can't or won't understand the difference. Thankfully, the justice system does.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Factually, not true. In your mind, perhaps.

in·sur·rec·tion
a violent uprising against an authority or government.

se·di·tion
conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

CHOP fits the definition exactly, J6 only fit the definition after the asshats violently entered the Capitol.
Apparently actual law disagrees with your interpretation.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Apparently actual law disagrees with your interpretation.
It isn't my interpretation, I posted the actual definitions. The law isn't always equally applied.

Deny the bias all you want. One was called "a summer of love" the other "the darkest day in our history" , if you can't see that through your political blinders, I'm sorry.

All I want to see is everyone held accountable, equally. That is something that isn't happening.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It isn't my interpretation, I posted the actual definitions. The law isn't always equally applied.

Deny the bias all you want. One was called "a summer of love" the other "the darkest day in our history" , if you can't see that through your political blinders, I'm sorry.

All I want to see is everyone held accountable, equally. That is something that isn't happening.
Since you copied your definitions and pasted them with no attribution, we can only assume they came from an online dictionary, which is geared to the least educated to make them slightly moreso.

When you get lawyers discussing things, the meaning of a word can change dramatically with every layer that is peeled away. The most famous example is Bill Clinton stating ”It depends on what the definition of ‘is’ is.” With sedition and insurrection, you have to put them in context, since they are both crimes against a state or ruler. This leaves a myriad of possibilities to be explored by a prosecutor, defense attorney, judge, and a jury, regardless of what you or I think they mean. All casss that are tried by different judges are necessarily going to be handled differently, and that is just a fact of life. That is why Trump went judge shopping to get Aileen Cannon over in the next county to run interference for him. He would hAve received different treatment in his county of residence.

If you have legal training, please provide us with a definition that would be acceptable on an exam. I’d love to see it.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Since you copied your definitions and pasted them with no attribution, we can only assume they came from an online dictionary, which is geared to the least educated to make them slightly moreso.

When you get lawyers discussing things, the meaning of a word can change dramatically with every layer that is peeled away. The most famous example is Bill Clinton stating ”It depends on what the definition of ‘is’ is.” With sedition and insurrection, you have to put them in context, since they are both crimes against a state or ruler. This leaves a myriad of possibilities to be explored by a prosecutor, defense attorney, judge, and a jury, regardless of what you or I think they mean. All casss that are tried by different judges are necessarily going to be handled differently, and that is just a fact of life. That is why Trump went judge shopping to get Aileen Cannon over in the next county to run interference for him. He would hAve received different treatment in his county of residence.

If you have legal training, please provide us with a definition that would be acceptable on an exam. I’d love to see it.
Feel free to use whatever you want to define those words. And you an i both know, once lawyers are involved, everything can change.

It is mind bogging though, how you just refuse to see the bias between the two incidents.

No need to reply, it is pointless, we obviously have different opinions on this.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Some can't or won't understand the difference. Thankfully, the justice system does.
Exactly. There's comfort in being able to say well, the courts don't see the two as comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies