Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 09:40 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Last I checked, Republicans = 50, Democrats = 48, Independents = 2.
50 to 48 is what, if not a majority?
The two independents vote D and the VEEP is the tiebraker. So the Dems control the senate. That is why its often a battle to get Manchin and Sinema to vote one way or another.

I lived in Arizona for most of two decades. One of the perks was worrying about time changes twice a year. Glad that will be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 09:58 AM

4,296 posts, read 1,554,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Let me ask you …. do you think it’s easier or more conducive to sleep before or after sunrise?

There is even a Scientific explanation for why darkness encourages better, deeper sleep, in case you’re confused by the question. Science calls this the “circadian rhythm”, which involves a master clock inside the brain which is directly influenced by environmental cues, of which the most dominant cue being the cycle of night and day, based on light and darkness, having nothing to do with where the hands on a clock might be arbitrarily placed.

There is an entire science devoted to this subject. It’s not speculation. Science has a pretty good grasp of the effects of light and darkness as it pertains to the essential function and benefits of proper sleep. And improper or inadequate sleep has negative effects on physical and mental health.
Yet here we are arguing about the time on the clock, as if it actually matters. I'm in agreement with the science. I tend to wake up naturally about the time the sun rises. Sounds like people who struggle to get enough sleep should go to bed earlier, not when their clocks tell them it's bedtime. Goodness knows how our ancestors from more northerly climbs managed it. Those Icelanders with almost 24 hour light in the summer and 24 hour darkness in the winter.

I must admit mind, I do find, when I go back to England in the summers and the birds start chirping at 4:00am, it is a bit of an irritant.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:01 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Morning people are very annoying. Mostly, just in a rush to be the first and get things done first. I enjoy my morning, quite and relaxing. Sunlight is more enjoyable at 8pm versus 4am.

If you put Daylight Savings in the Northeast, the sun would rise at 4:25am instead of 5:25am. I do not see any value to this, except sales of more window shades.
It’s all a matter of personal preference, but judging by the responses, it seems that it’s far more popular to have sunrise and sunset occur later, rather than earlier.

And it makes perfect sense, if you just consider sleep, along with what time of the day or night most people can be found in their bloody stinking beds. LOL

Is it more likely to find a majority of human beings in bed at 5:30 am, or 5:30 pm? The answer is obvious. Who the hell goes to bed at 5:30 pm? Not many people. So, it stands to reason that having the sunrise occur later in the morning would benefit a vast majority of people STILL IN BED, rather than having the sunset earlier, while STILL IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. HAHAHAHA.

But, this just goes to show that people will argue over anything, no matter how ridiculous their argument is.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:09 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wasn't speaking of the coast. I was speaking of inland and the desert areas where people live and it gets very hot in both of those places. Again, an energy saving light bulb is much cheaper to use than running an air conditioner.
An air conditioner is cheaper to run than a heating system.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:12 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Not when they have it backwards, do you enjoy having it dark until 8AM?.
That's what they are proposing, who needs daylight until 10PM during summer months?...nobody.
We already have DST in the summertime. That is not changing. This law would only adjust the time for November through February.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:15 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,883 times
In our solar system, everything revolves around the sun.

In the modern Western world, the sun revolves around the economy!

Old 11-07-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Yet here we are arguing about the time on the clock, as if it actually matters. I'm in agreement with the science. I tend to wake up naturally about the time the sun rises. Sounds like people who struggle to get enough sleep should go to bed earlier, not when their clocks tell them it's bedtime. Goodness knows how our ancestors from more northerly climbs managed it. Those Icelanders with almost 24 hour light in the summer and 24 hour darkness in the winter.

I must admit mind, I do find, when I go back to England in the summers and the birds start chirping at 4:00am, it is a bit of an irritant.
Well, it matters to most people, save for the fortunate few who enjoy the luxury of setting their own schedules. The vast majority whose schedules are based on times established by others, find time rather impactful, personally. Most don’t get to decide when they must arrive at work, nor do students decide when they must arrive at school. They are required to comply with those established times.

The truth is, we humans tend to create our own problems, and shoot ourselves in the foot more often than we wash them. This results in an abundance of rather dim, stinky footed people LOL.

Think about it. Why are grocery stores open at 6 am? Who the hell goes to the grocery store at 6 am, other than the poor slobs that work there? What’s worse, are those working in the bakery department of those stores who need to start work at 3-4 am!

The reality is, the vast majority of people, as I previously mentioned, are more likely to be found in bed at 5:30 am, rather than 5:30 pm, other than those aforementioned grocery store employees who must be looking around their empty stores for 3 or more hours every morning asking themselves, why am I here this early?

One of the biggest hints ever was the invention of the snooze button. I used to wear that sucker out … just 10 more minutes, please!! Ok, 20! LOL

Old 11-07-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
In our solar system, everything revolves around the sun.

In the modern Western world, the sun revolves around the economy!
But that’s arbitrary too, isn’t it? Why are so many businesses open early in the morning? Most people typically shop later in the day, and evening. Are people not going to buy food unless the grocery store opens at 6 am? Nobody grocery shops at 6 am. Go sometime, and see how many people are actually there. Few, to none. Talk about waisting man hours! So, it’s hard to assign an economic incentive to that decision.

Furthermore, what business must be conducted at 8 am, that couldn’t be conducted at 10am? I remember in a past life as a federal contractor, with business activities involving folks on the West Coast, that at 8am my time, it was 5am there. But more to my detriment, at 5pm there, when activities had yet to be completed for the day, it was 8pm, my time. This often lead to my 14+ hour days to mate up with their 9 hour days.

The moral to the story is, we work way too many hours, and start way too early.

There’s an old joke …. a boss questioned one of his employees he noticed getting ready to leave an hour early from work. “Hey Joe, why are you leaving early today? Didn’t you come in a half hour late this morning?” Joe replied, “yes. And as a conscientious employee, I didn’t want to risk being late twice in one day”.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:05 AM

5,957 posts, read 2,874,419 times
Here in the valleys of Northern Coos County N.H.the sun comes at 11am and leaves about 3pm.it stayed cold and dark. the snow gets 6, 8 ,10 feet deep here.

Don't matter Daylight orStandred time it's dark.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:13 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Probably down the locale.

At no point in the year are my kids coming home in the dark. During DST October is cutting it very close in the mornings.
They promote sports here so the buses leave late. 4 pm is the sun setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies