Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 11:52 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Well for what it's worth, this bill has been stalled in Congress.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=115206ec68aa

I suppose people have their reasons either way, whether you like it lighter in the morning or in the evening, but I don't really care. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Actually you will once the clocks spring forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 01:02 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,369,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're just not getting it! On DST in the summer it doesn't get dark till 8 pm here in the southwest. That adds an extra hour of extreme heat at the end of the day while in the morning it is much cooler before the sun rises high in the sky to make it hotter. I don't know how much simpler I can make it.

I'm retired so I am fine with early morning sunlight which gets me motivated to get things done earlier.

So I disagree that DST is best year around. It was already tried once and it was very unpopular.
You seem to not understand - with permanent DST vs DST only in the summer like now - it doesn't change anything in the summer or the number of hours that run AC when it is hot. Permanent DST only would change the 4 months of winter that are on standard time.

The one year (outside of WW1 and WW2) of permanent DST was almost 50 years ago and was returned because of schools - seems like a better choice is to move school later if that is an issue. The studies show that DST saves energy.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:58 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
I want Standard Time since it aligns the closest with our biological functions. The less we try to play God, and mess with nature the better for us in the long run health wise.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:05 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I want Standard Time since it aligns the closest with our biological functions. The less we try to play God, and mess with nature the better for us in the long run health wise.
We should also switch off of the Gregorian Calendar, and go to a calendar which is the way it was supposed to be designed by the Lord. The Earth is supposed to be setup in 13 months, each month 28 days following the moon. Our human bodies are setup on 28 days biologically, menstrual cycles are 28 days etc..

Old 11-07-2022, 02:17 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
But that’s arbitrary too, isn’t it? Why are so many businesses open early in the morning? Most people typically shop later in the day, and evening. Are people not going to buy food unless the grocery store opens at 6 am? Nobody grocery shops at 6 am. Go sometime, and see how many people are actually there. Few, to none. Talk about waisting man hours! So, it’s hard to assign an economic incentive to that decision.

Furthermore, what business must be conducted at 8 am, that couldn’t be conducted at 10am? I remember in a past life as a federal contractor, with business activities involving folks on the West Coast, that at 8am my time, it was 5am there. But more to my detriment, at 5pm there, when activities had yet to be completed for the day, it was 8pm, my time. This often lead to my 14+ hour days to mate up with their 9 hour days.

The moral to the story is, we work way too many hours, and start way too early.

There’s an old joke …. a boss questioned one of his employees he noticed getting ready to leave an hour early from work. “Hey Joe, why are you leaving early today? Didn’t you come in a half hour late this morning?†Joe replied, “yes. And as a conscientious employee, I didn’t want to risk being late twice in one dayâ€.
I pretty much 100% agree here. Though I say the sun is not as arbitrary as "mankind time" because it is a major driver of biological processes and behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
We should also switch off of the Gregorian Calendar, and go to a calendar which is the way it was supposed to be designed by the Lord. The Earth is supposed to be setup in 13 months, each month 28 days following the moon. Our human bodies are setup on 28 days biologically, menstrual cycles are 28 days etc..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but you're not wrong. However, changing the amount of months has no real effect on biology. Changing hours within a day has a much greater effect.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, we should all be on a lunar calendar, not a solar one. But that won't happen in this Age.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wasn't speaking of the coast. I was speaking of inland and the desert areas where people live and it gets very hot in both of those places. Again, an energy saving light bulb is much cheaper to use than running an air conditioner.
Ok guys, calm down please. It seems that no one on either side is actually reading the article, the Reuters one at least. Those that live in Arizona, and Hawaii will stay on Standard time so those guys don't have to worry.

>>>"The bill would allow Arizona and Hawaii, which do not observe daylight saving time, to remain on standard time as well as American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands."<<<

Old 11-07-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The only thing I can think of is he goes to work and turns his AC off during that period (or lowers it). Otherwise it doesn't make sense, except maybe psychologically.
The afternoon sun is much more intense than the morning sun. Ask any gardener which plants that can tolerate afternoon sun, and which ones must have morning sun/afternoon shade. The heat also builds up as the day progresses. It's just the way it is if one pays attention.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:39 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
So you are bringing religion into this. The "Lord" did not design a calendar.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:43 PM

3,113 posts, read 937,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The afternoon sun is much more intense than the morning sun. Ask any gardener which plants that can tolerate afternoon sun, and which ones must have morning sun/afternoon shade. The heat also builds up as the day progresses. It's just the way it is if one pays attention.
It's like some of you guys are really really ..... clueless?

Changing clocks 1 hour forward, 1 hour backward, doesn't change the sun at all. At all. Got it? At all.

If the sun reaches its peak intensity in your location at noon on DST, it will reach that SAME intensity at 11am Standard time.

The only difference is psychological. Because people have routines that begin at fixed times etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies