Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 06:04 PM

25,720 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

As far as how the sun movement aligns with the clock around my area... I'd rather have permanent daylight savings time. The sun going down at 4:30 in the winter is kind of a drag because I do NOT like driving at night anymore. Too many jackasses with blinding LED headlights, who refuse to dim them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 06:05 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your evening sun (pretty sunset) will be the same temp whether it 1930 or 2030.... come on man, have some sense of science
I don’t think one needs to be a rocket scientist to understand this rather simple point. But it does explain the disastrous state of brain damage we’re dealing with on so many levels today.

It’s quite a terrifying situation, and that’s not a joke.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:11 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As far as how the sun movement aligns with the clock around my area... I'd rather have permanent daylight savings time. The sun going down at 4:30 in the winter is kind of a drag because I do NOT like driving at night anymore. Too many jackasses with blinding LED headlights, who refuse to dim them.
I’m with you on that for sure. As I’ve gotten older, it’s been my night vision that has been most notably affected, and these HID headlights are quite blinding.

A lot of them appear to be high beams, but are not. My Camaro had the high intensity discharge lights, and I was always getting people flashing their high beams at me, thinking I had my high beams on, when I didn’t.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:27 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The solar calendar was brought into being by sun worshipers. But that religion is all right by you.
Where did I say that? All religion is based on myths and fairy tales.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:32 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
The afternoon sun is much more intense than the morning sun. Ask any gardener which plants that can tolerate afternoon sun, and which ones must have morning sun/afternoon shade. The heat also builds up as the day progresses. It's just the way it is if one pays attention.
Exactly, and I can't seem to make the DST fans understand that so I just gave up!

Old 11-08-2022, 08:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
The afternoon sun is much more intense than the morning sun. Ask any gardener which plants that can tolerate afternoon sun, and which ones must have morning sun/afternoon shade. The heat also builds up as the day progresses. It's just the way it is if one pays attention.
and whether the sun sets at 1930hrs or 2030hrs is not going to make a bit of difference in the high for the day, or how plants react to that high of the day at 1430hrs

ask any gardener, they would rather have the extra hour in the evening to actually get the gardening done

Old 11-08-2022, 08:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

I'd also much rather have afternoon sunlight. The only argument for light early in the morning is kids having light to walk to school in the winter. It's one argument worth considering.

Frankly I don't care if they keep things as they are, as long as we aren't on standard time permanently. I don't need the sun rising that early in the summer. It's silly. That would mean twilight at 3:30AM with a sunrise of 4:15AM in places like Milwaukee that are on the eastern edge of their respective time zones in the months of June and July. I already thought the sunrise was too early at 5:15AM when I was growing up out there. We have a culture that likes to sleep 11PM-7AM as an average... best suit the sunrise and sunset to the needs of the majority.

Technically, the sun should be directly overhead at 12 noon, but culturally, most people don't really even get their day going until 8-9AM, so to have it half over by noon makes little sense.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-08-2022 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2022, 09:02 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I’m with you on that for sure. As I’ve gotten older, it’s been my night vision that has been most notably affected, and these HID headlights are quite blinding.

A lot of them appear to be high beams, but are not. My Camaro had the high intensity discharge lights, and I was always getting people flashing their high beams at me, thinking I had my high beams on, when I didn’t.
HIDs are the worst. Although for me, it’s not the brightness, it’s the color. No matter where my eyes are actually pointed, my brain is fixated on these blue- or white-tinted lights. Even high beams on regular halogen bulbs are more tolerable for me. Although too many people still drive around with high beams on.

Anyhow, I do t care what they pick, just stick with one! It messes with the kids’ routines kinda hard, and I hate having to go through and re-set all my watches!

Old 11-08-2022, 09:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'd also much rather have afternoon sunlight. The only argument for light early in the morning is kids having light to walk to school in the winter. It's one argument worth considering.

Frankly I don't care if they keep things as they are, as long as we aren't on standard time permanently. I don't need the sun rising that early in the summer. It's silly. That would mean twilight at 3:30AM with a sunrise of 4:15AM in places like Milwaukee that are on the eastern edge of their respective time zones in the months of June and July. I already thought the sunrise was too early at 5:15AM when I was growing up out there. We have a culture that likes to sleep 11PM-7AM as an average... best suit the sunrise and sunset to the needs of the majority.
per the bolded...its not even an argument for the little ones...elementary school starts at 9am...

Old 11-08-2022, 09:29 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
per the bolded...its not even an argument for the little ones...elementary school starts at 9am...
Where you are, yes.

My kids start at 8:15, bus pickup at 7:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies