Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 06:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is stupid especially since that was tried already in the past and it was very unpopular. I read a poll on MSN recently and 78% of those polled wanted permanent Standard time not DST.

Out here in the southwest our summers are brutally hot and we don't need an extra hour of blazing hot sun late in the day. It runs our air conditioning bills uup. Arizona was smart to stay on Standard time year around. I hate the dark mornings in Sept. and Oct. when the sun doesn't come up early when we are on DST to.

I don't know what dummy in congress decided to coin a bill for year around DST again when it was tried and done away with before.
Exactly how many people chose to live out in the desert heat? Doesn't bother me if you're hot - you've got the a/c so run it...I'll take permanent DST so I don't have to drive home in darkness at 4:30 in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 06:19 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, you have it backwards. Those of us who live in the southwest have earlier sunsets in the summer than those in the northeast. If you live in the northeast and were on Standard time in the summer it still wouldn't get dark to well after 8. That's plenty of time to play golf. You wouldn't be playing golf in the winter anyway.
Sunset at it's latest for the eastern side of the Eastern Time zone would be 8PM under DST, a move to ST would put it at 7PM. Just saying that where you are within a time zone makes an hour difference one way or the other.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sunset at it's latest for the eastern side of the Eastern Time zone would be 8PM under DST, a move to ST would put it at 7PM. Just saying that where you are within a time zone makes an hour difference one way or the other.
Yup, big zones = big variation.

Maybe it's time to also redistrict time zones. People want to hang out in summer until 9 pm when it's sunny

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
When people sleep in the north they turn the heat down. Keeping it darker when the temps are lower and people sleep does save power.
And they turn it up when they get up. What you said makes no sense, the heat goes back up an hour earlier just like turning it down happens an hour earlier...

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Frankly, I'm just so done with DST. Let's just let it die!

Old 11-06-2022, 06:25 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
They already tried keeping Daylight Saving time year round back around 1972 and people hated it, so they went back to changing the clocks twice a year.

Permanent Daylight Saving Time will hurt our health, experts say
....in 50 years, the way we live may well have changed enough to give it another try. Far fewer people live on farms and do agricultural work, etc. Far fewer live in rural areas, period. Fifty years is two GENERATIONS - let the young 'uns speak!

Old 11-06-2022, 06:35 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yup, big zones = big variation.

Maybe it's time to also redistrict time zones. People want to hang out in summer until 9 pm when it's sunny
I say get rid of all time zones and just have universal time or one time zone for the entire world.

People will adapt and adjust!

Old 11-06-2022, 06:45 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I say get rid of all time zones and just have universal time or one time zone for the entire world.

People will adapt and adjust!
and invent 26 O'clock to videotape how people react

Old 11-06-2022, 07:28 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Exactly how many people chose to live out in the desert heat? Doesn't bother me if you're hot - you've got the a/c so run it...I'll take permanent DST so I don't have to drive home in darkness at 4:30 in the afternoon.
All of So. Calif., Arizona and other southwestern states have hot summers. If we all chose to live in colder climates those areas would be overcrowded. I thought we were all supposed to conserve energy or doesn't that matter to you either?

Oh big deal, you'd have to drive home in darkness. You do have headlights, don't you? They are a lot less expensive than running an air conditioner.

I guess it also doesn't matter to you that permanent DST was already tried and it failed? You like making the same mistake twice?

Old 11-06-2022, 07:31 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
....in 50 years, the way we live may well have changed enough to give it another try. Far fewer people live on farms and do agricultural work, etc. Far fewer live in rural areas, period. Fifty years is two GENERATIONS - let the young 'uns speak!
You just shot down your own argument, lol. The reason DST was implemented in the first place was because of all the farms and agricultural work. That no longer applies to today and you admitted it yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies