Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 01:07 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Colleges have put themselves on the endangered species list. Their relevance has decreased greatly. Students will stop going unless they can earn a beneficial degree. There are cheaper ways to be indoctrinated and waste your money.
the first comment to the OP's story link is a sad eye-opener.

Quote:
When I was young, my parents immigrated with me to the United States from China. I was told, and I really thought, that America, with its Constitution and Bill of Rights, was more "free" than Communist China. Yet when I went to college for the first time (Sarah Lawrence, one of the wokest colleges in America), all I found was censorship and struggle sessions. Because I expressed heterodox opinions about biological sex, I was ostracized. I can confirm that what Dr. Maroja is saying here is absolutely happening in campuses all across America.

I thought college was for free discussion of beliefs, but all I found was a panopticon-style environment where students told on each other over their beliefs. I don't know if America really is the "land of the free" anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 01:12 PM

1,556 posts, read 898,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
And in a few years when all the "old" people whining about "wokeness" are dead - will it really matter. Probably not. Cheers!
It's disturbing how the leftist view of a brighter future always necessitates the death of millions of people.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:15 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,412,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Nowhere in the article does it say this.
It says something like that. Professors are afraid to mention Darwin and other famous white male biologists.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
thanks for an excellent article. scientists getting blocked from accessing the genotypes & phenotypes database, that we as taxpayers pay for, is also the topic of this thread.

NIH blocks access to critical gene database if it thinks research may enter 'forbidden' territory
Yes, that was her main complaint in the article. A database like that could show blacks are on average less educated, for example. Which is well known anyway. But now academics aren't supposed to notice.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Colleges have put themselves on the endangered species list. Their relevance has decreased greatly. Students will stop going unless they can earn a beneficial degree. There are cheaper ways to be indoctrinated and waste your money.
And there is plenty of free information online. When degrees become meaningless, might as well just learn what you need online.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:19 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,006,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It says something like that. Professors are afraid to mention Darwin and other famous white male biologists.
Which is not what you said.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Which is not what you said.
Ok, I was summarizing from memory. Close enough.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:37 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,699,222 times
Quote:
This is seriously distressing. This article is by a biology professor, and what she is saying does not seem believable. Could she be exaggerating? Please read if you care about science.
must

repeat

cult

prayers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_c7CcVspfI

Old 11-07-2022, 01:56 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,206,878 times
Boot camp for everyone at 18 years old. Should be a law. We need to toughen up as a country and stop catering to the lowest common denominator. Have respect for all but also expect and encourage personal responsibility.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,342,394 times
Quote:
This is seriously distressing. This article is by a biology professor, and what she is saying does not seem believable. Could she be exaggerating? Please read if you care about science.

Some important topics in biology can no longer be researched or taught, because they aren't politically correct enough, or might get students upset. Some famous biologists, such as Darwin, cannot be mentioned, since they were white males.

Biology professors must now teach that sex is a continuum, even thought that is absolutely false and every biologist knows it is false.

And women must be called "persons with uteruses."

It is forbidden to teach anything about genetic differences between human ethnic groups. Even when those differences are of medical importance.

There is a lot more.

This is not just coming from college administrators. It could be mostly coming from the students.

https://www.commonsense.news/p/an-ex...m_medium=email
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the first comment to the OP's story link is a sad eye-opener.

I think part (most/all?) of the issue is the colleges you're talking about - both Williams College (where Maroja teaches) and Sarah Lawrence are PRIVATE colleges. Apparently, there are different rules for private colleges:
As a private college, Williams is not governed by the First Amendment, but by its own policies, which can restrict speech that the campus finds distasteful. The college currently follows the American Association of University Professors' guidelines on freedom of expression, which say in part that "on a campus that is free and open, no idea can be banned or forbidden. No viewpoint or message may be deemed so hateful or disturbing that it may not be expressed."

Just like private religious schools, they can teach pretty much what they want...maybe it makes sense to get away from expensive private education, either as a professor or a student?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies