Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 06:00 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HneqfZGsM

Looking forward to part 2.

As a fan of electric cars, I can say that I learned a few things. Primarily, that they are not as green as some people want to make them out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 09:20 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HneqfZGsM

As a fan of electric cars, I can say that I learned a few things. Primarily, that they are not as green as some people want to make them out to be.
Stossel is just a paid shill nowadays, I miss the old version. He is using decade old talking points.

This is important also and it is an average. tesla is so much more efficient than other EVs it makes this even better.

https://www.transportenvironment.org...aterial-needs/
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone who thinks electric cars are "more green" than gas-powered, needs to watch this-fgik1gdvsaekvkm.jpeg  

Old 11-08-2022, 03:22 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Stossel is just a paid shill nowadays, I miss the old version. He is using decade old talking points.

This is important also and it is an average. tesla is so much more efficient than other EVs it makes this even better.

https://www.transportenvironment.org...aterial-needs/
I love how you gloss over the making of the car, the battery, etc. You all love to ignore that part of it, don't you?

You also love to gloss over how you need coal to charge your stupid EV cars.

Finally, if you all were truly 'environmental', you wouldn't drive cars at all.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:53 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
EV owners are generally upper middle class and well to do's that don't mind the cost of getting into the expensive electric cars. They also don't seem to care where the batteries come from and what happens to them when they are spent. These are not the types that will be swapping out the old battery on that used car.

I think EV's are status symbols and a means for their owners to Virtue signal.

The biggest question no one is asking is what ever happened to the hybrids? The infrastructure is not there for all EV's that the Government is mandating so instead why can't we do more (miles) with less (gas) and that is where the hybrids come in? Hybrids seem to be a win win until technology catches up and we can go full EV BUT as usual the powers that be are putting the cart before the horse.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:15 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I've heard all of this before, I've argued it with a coworker that still insists that EVs are better.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:17 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
EV owners are generally upper middle class and well to do's that don't mind the cost of getting into the expensive electric cars. They also don't seem to care where the batteries come from and what happens to them when they are spent. These are not the types that will be swapping out the old battery on that used car.

The biggest question no one is asking is what ever happened to the hybrids? The infrastructure is not there for all EV's that the Government is mandating so instead why can't we do more (miles) with less (gas) and that is where the hybrids come in? Hybrids seem to be a win win until technology catches up and we can go full EV BUT as usual the powers that be are putting the cart before the horse.
EVs are really just a stop gap measure to get people out of their cars period. There are groups of people that want everyone to take public transport. If you really pay attention to some of these far left out there green activist, they sometimes say that quiet part out loud.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:11 AM

2,326 posts, read 960,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
[youtube]

Using very vague terms there. Who's making them out to be how green exactly? No pollution?

Regardless of how you try to frame it, they are absolutely more green than an ICE car over the average lifespan of a vehicle.
They cite shipping costs as polluting, as if ICE cars aren't shipped over as well. You don't have to look hard to sense the bias in the video.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

The best selling Tesla is their cheapest one.
The under-$30k Bolt is selling in record numbers.

Their is for demand for EVs in lower income brackets. Not every buyer is swimming in money.
The choices just aren't as plentiful.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've heard all of this before, I've argued it with a coworker that still insists that EVs are better.

Better for them doesn't mean better for you or better for everyone.

If I don't do long distance drives often (and I don't), and my regular commute is well under the max range of the car, then EVs make a lot of sense. Especially since I have solar panels, access to HOV lanes, reduced tolls, etc.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:28 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
The few friends i know with EV's also have solar power so they brought the EV's so they could charge on their own power. So it works out great for them cost wise. But in our conversations they know that the making of the batteries is so environmentally destructive that EV's are perhaps even worse for the environment then Gas powered vehicles. IT's not like China and other nations which produce the needed resources to make those batteries are doing it in an environmental conscious way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies