Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 08:18 AM

78,412 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Like Florida, we will see many Red states like Texas (now that Abbott has been reelected) ban these surgeries and drugs on children. Our TX Legislature meets in January and should be high on their list of things to get passed.
The problem is that the whole thing got to be trendy and politicized so then you have laws that dictate what they are allowed to legally do and social pressure etc.

The poster that brought up lobotomies makes a really good point as to what is considered to be socially acceptable can impose pressure where science should prevail but that's the human condition.

There are no doubt many of these workers that think they're fighting the good fight and that those opposing it are just "bigots" against trans people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 09:11 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Approved on what?

If you are given a WRONG diagnosis and then agree to surgery because of that diagnosis and lose a body part because of it you are OK with that?

If a woman was told she had breast cancer and agrees to the advice that she needs a mastectomy... and then finds out AFTER her breast were lopped off, that she never had breast cancer....

That's on the patient? It's her fault her breasts were lopped off? She has no recourse and just needs to suck it up?

That's exactly what you are saying.
What diagnosis was given. Did she not want to transition. Sounds like she started on that path in 6th grade. Did she not ask for the surgery or did the doctors diagnosis her with being the wrong sex and tell her the cure was to have her breasts removed.

When people have a mastectomy because of cancer, a diagnosis of cancer and options is given. The patient then discusses and decides their choice of treatments.

My sis goes under the knife tomorrow. Cancer was found in one breast. She has opted, her choice, to have both breasts removed to decrease the possibility of cancer in the future. Her doctor agreed. Now if she has regrets down the road, sorry, its on her, not her doctor.

People need to take personal responsibility for their choices. Right?

Old 11-09-2022, 09:20 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
I would've thought that there would've been some sort of criteria in the psychiatric Diagnostic and Statistical Manual to give a diagnosis that would lead to the approval of these sort of things. I haven't really looked myself, but I hope gender-affirming surgeries do have some sort of objective medical/psychiatric basis for the recommendation.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What diagnosis was given. Did she not want to transition. Sounds like she started on that path in 6th grade. Did she not ask for the surgery or did the doctors diagnosis her with being the wrong sex and tell her the cure was to have her breasts removed.

When people have a mastectomy because of cancer, a diagnosis of cancer and options is given. The patient then discusses and decides their choice of treatments.

My sis goes under the knife tomorrow. Cancer was found in one breast. She has opted, her choice, to have both breasts removed to decrease the possibility of cancer in the future. Her doctor agreed. Now if she has regrets down the road, sorry, its on her, not her doctor.

People need to take personal responsibility for their choices. Right?
You have no idea what this case is about or about this patient's medical history.

When you understand the case, then we can chat. Because none of what you posted applies.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:27 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I would've thought that there would've been some sort of criteria in the psychiatric Diagnostic and Statistical Manual to give a diagnosis that would lead to the approval of these sort of things. I haven't really looked myself, but I hope gender-affirming surgeries do have some sort of objective medical/psychiatric basis for the recommendation.
There is a sort of double bind problem. If these “conditions†are classified as mental/medical disorders you can get medical treatment covered by insurance, along with some social stigma associated with having a “disorderâ€.

Some people argue that these conditions should be declassified as disorders to remove the associated stigma, but then treatment becomes a cosmetic treatment as opposed to a medical necessity.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
You have no idea what this case is about or about this patient's medical history.

When you understand the case, then we can chat. Because none of what you posted applies.
So tell us. A link to the actual diagnosis. Diagnosis from her long-time psychiatrist. It would seem she began having issues with her sexuality in 6th grade after a friend was raped and she had been seeing mental health counseling/treatment etc. for 20 years. How long had she been transitioning. Did she seek out a mastectomy, ask for one, or did her mental health physician suggest it for her "diagnosed" condition?
Lots of things seem you nor I know about her medical history or this case.

And I would disagree. You brought up mastectomy without cancer. I gave you a real-life case of someone having breasts removed, one with, one without cancer and how the diagnosis, options and decisions were made. Neither the physician nor surgeon made the decision or suggested the healthy breast be removed. The patient requested and approved the type and extent of the surgery to be performed.
They did not refuse and just do a simple lumpectomy on one breast with the option to do reconstructive surgery, which was an option, because they feel their patients are to stupid and wishy washy to make their own decisions about their own life.

This girl did not seem ignorant, stupid or unable to reason and make her own decisions to me. Was she under strict supervision and mental health care, was she incapacitated, did she have a guardian ad litem, or just byers remorse.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
So tell us. A link to the actual diagnosis. Diagnosis from her long-time psychiatrist. It would seem she began having issues with her sexuality in 6th grade after a friend was raped and she had been seeing mental health counseling/treatment etc. for 20 years. How long had she been transitioning. Did she seek out a mastectomy, ask for one, or did her mental health physician suggest it for her "diagnosed" condition?
Lots of things seem you nor I know about her medical history or this case.

And I would disagree. You brought up mastectomy without cancer. I gave you a real-life case of someone having breasts removed, one with, one without cancer and how the diagnosis, options and decisions were made. Neither the physician nor surgeon made the decision or suggested the healthy breast be removed. The patient requested and approved the type and extent of the surgery to be performed.
They did not refuse and just do a simple lumpectomy on one breast with the option to do reconstructive surgery, which was an option, because they feel their patients are to stupid and wishy washy to make their own decisions about their own life.

This girl did not seem ignorant, stupid or unable to reason and make her own decisions to me. Was she under strict supervision and mental health care, was she incapacitated, did she have a guardian ad litem, or just byers remorse.
You literally have no idea what this case is about.

The bolded sentence in your post proves it. This "girl" who you seem to think needs a guardian ad litem since you believe she is a minor? She's 32 years old.

Can't discuss this with you, since you don't know anything AT ALL about this case.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:24 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
You literally have no idea what this case is about.

The bolded sentence in your post proves it. This "girl" who you seem to think needs a guardian ad litem since you believe she is a minor? She's 32 years old.

Can't discuss this with you, since you don't know anything AT ALL about this case.
Where did they say she was a minor? I cant find that in their statement.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Where did they say she was a minor? I cant find that in their statement.
They didnt, nor did I. I asked did she have a guardian ad litem as folks keep saying she was somehow mentally challenged and not responsible for her decision to have a double mastectomy.

I'm being accused of knowing nothing about this, which I dont other than the link, yet when I ask for detail and information, I get nothing but accusations (in bold).

Old 11-09-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
They didnt, nor did I. I asked did she have a guardian ad litem as folks keep saying she was somehow mentally challenged and not responsible for her decision to have a double mastectomy.

I'm being accused of knowing nothing about this, which I dont other than the link, yet when I ask for detail and information, I get nothing but accusations (in bold).
3 questions:

Who recommend the double mastectomy?

On what basis was the double mastectomy recommended?

What facility did the surgery?

If you can answer those questions, I will be happy to have a discussion with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies