Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did the republicans red wave fail?
Trump republicans and their radical views 44 15.44%
Jan 6 failed coup attempt 2 0.70%
Election lies 24 8.42%
abortion rights 49 17.19%
all of the above 166 58.25%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 07:01 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In Congress, it does matter because not all party members vote lock step all the time. It seems to me that Democrats have been better about voting the party line than the GOP but when it only takes one or two senators or 5 or 6 reps to defect. For example, I don't think the GOP could get 218 out of 220 reps to impeach Biden. The biggest win for the GOP is having control of the House agenda and committee assignments.
Controlling the House allows the Speaker to do what Turtle did in the Senate when he was in control.

Simply not allow a vote on wasteful Democrat bills.

That's all I want. I don't want any bills passed. I want gridlock. I'm thrilled right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 07:20 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Controlling the House allows the Speaker to do what Turtle did in the Senate when he was in control.

Simply not allow a vote on wasteful Democrat bills.

That's all I want. I don't want any bills passed. I want gridlock. I'm thrilled right now.
Reminds me of 2018-2020.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:22 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Coming up on TWO WEEKS since the election and California 22 has only reported 60% of the results.

Absolutely no excuse for something like this in year 2022.
Agreed. CA-03, -13, and -22 are all trending GOP(and the gap is widening) and are dragging on like a snail through a salt bed. Everything I've read said that there was one week to tally anything that made it in on time, and that's that.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:58 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Agreed. CA-03, -13, and -22 are all trending GOP(and the gap is widening) and are dragging on like a snail through a salt bed. Everything I've read said that there was one week to tally anything that made it in on time, and that's that.
The week was for all ballots to be received that were postmarked by Election Day. Haven't seen anything to suggest a week to tally. From what I have seen the count needs to be in when it is certified which is Dec 8th (30 days after). Also, FWIW Valado's seat (which was previously the 21st) was called on Nov 25th in 2020, about 23 days after the Election (we are currently at 12)

Old 11-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
1) Or when rabid leftists attacked government property and killed dozens (to include people killed on account of being Trump supporters) during the "summer of love"

Quote:
2) What's your point? Again, this cost him nothing and I simply question whether he'd had made the concession (and in the manner he did) if it actually would have stopped the recount.
there is a word for what you are doing here, but I cant remember the name. You are arguing an extreme that isnt needed or warrented , stopping the count all together. The premise, regardless of the margin, has always been to count all votes. a hypothetical in which they simply stopped counting is irrelevant. Its like little kids asking each other "what if you grew wings and could fly tomorrow, would you still take the bus to school", fun exercise but not relevant in reality.

Quote:
Sometimes you just like to hear yourself talk as you're not actually rebutting anything or adding anything of value to your response. I'm convinced of that.
I made the simply point that you idea of what a concession is or could be was illogical.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:40 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Smash255 is having a difficult time accepting this fact. It will just take him some time.

In the meantime, he just needs to find a way to make himself feel better about America tossing House Democrats into the junk pile.
I'm not having a hard time accepting it. I thought the GOP would take the House and predicted a larger gain than what happened. The GOP did take the House, but this was far from a red wave and the worst performance the out of power party had in a midterm in 20 years.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:47 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm not having a hard time accepting it. I thought the GOP would take the House and predicted a larger gain than what happened. The GOP did take the House, but this was far from a red wave and the worst performance the out of power party had in a midterm in 20 years.
The GOP kicked butt!! Despite the democrats having a well publicized plan to encourage the GOP base to support flawed extreme candidates who would turn off moderate and independent voters these extreme candidates uniformly went on to …………..well, never mind.MAGA!

Old 11-21-2022, 07:04 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
The GOP kicked butt!! Despite the democrats having a well publicized plan to encourage the GOP base to support flawed extreme candidates who would turn off moderate and independent voters these extreme candidates uniformly went on to …………..well, never mind.MAGA!
In most cases that plan didn’t work or wouldn’t have mattered anyway as the other candidate wasn’t any good or voted to impeach Trump. In PA for example it’s fairly likely the other senate candidate still loses to Fetterman. The best argument is that perhaps someone else beats Warnock in GA but even that is no guarantee

Old 11-21-2022, 07:52 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
The GQP plan was to lose the senate while taking a small and unmanageable majority in the House, lose numerous governorships, see their majorities shrink or disappear in state houses across the nation, and enshrine abortion as a constitutional right in states both liberal and conservative across the nation. Mission accomplished!

Old 11-21-2022, 07:59 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The GQP plan was to lose the senate while taking a small and unmanageable majority in the House, lose numerous governorships, see their majorities shrink or disappear in state houses across the nation, and enshrine abortion as a constitutional right in states both liberal and conservative across the nation. Mission accomplished!
I still don't think the dems have regained all the seats they lost during obamas reign....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies