Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did the republicans red wave fail?
Trump republicans and their radical views 44 15.44%
Jan 6 failed coup attempt 2 0.70%
Election lies 24 8.42%
abortion rights 49 17.19%
all of the above 166 58.25%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 06:08 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

What to take away?

1) The GOP needs to do away with this stupid, "no platform" stance; articulate and promote a solid national platform and push it consistently.

2) The Trump brand has lost it's shine. Time to move on, get behind DeSantis. We don't need the clown show any longer. It had it's time.

3) GOP-led House needs to bite the bullet and codify abortion. Put in reasonable limits that we can live with-15 week limit on abortion of convenience, make it clear they support the life of the mother, make sure that in cases of severe genetic/health issues that it will be legal. Take it away as a campaign issue and beat the Dems at this game. Make sure it's understood that contraception and "morning after" pills are legal and supported by GOP.
Granted I doubt it will happen. And impossible to get a moderate through a primary on this issue.

4) Make sure whoever is up in '24 is well versed on countering media lies. Get Kayleigh McEenany front and center (ideally as a candidate). She is outstanding, and a key to Trump's success in the last 2 years of his term.

5) Much better, more consistent messaging and campaigning on social media. Sadly, it is a powerful tool-and the left own the MSM. I don't see a way to counter the lies and manipulation of the MSM, does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 06:08 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The GOP lost because many republican candidates still publicly support Trump. Also, their hard stance on abortion aided their downfall. I hate abortion too, but to force a raped woman to carry and deliver??... or a mother whose life is in danger??.... hell no!

I'm more angry at the GOP than I am at the democrat voters. The GOP purposely threw this election away. They didn't want to win, so they insured their loss.
Are you senile? They didn't lose

Old 11-09-2022, 06:09 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I think both parties are quite dysfunctional and unprepared for the future which is rapidly approaching. The only real problem is that Joe Biden is a mental mess unable to lead and unable to act in our best interests.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Technically they didn't lose but you are kidding yourself if you think the GOP and most conservatives woke up this morning feeling good about yesterday's election.

Here's the thing -- as bad as some people thought the Democrat candidates were, they had some of their hopefuls lose to them....i.e. Fetterman.

I personally would not have wanted Fetterman as my choice if I was a Democrat in PA. I would not have blindly voted for him.

BUT I would have NEVER voted for Oz either.

And it seems -- no matter how much you want to insult the people who felt that -- they felt that.

Oz lost to a bad candidate. That speaks to OZ as the Republican choice.

Boebert is going to lose. That speaks to Boebert being a bad candidate.

It just does.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:12 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Using the same argument you Leftists claimed about the GOP now, Trump won because the candidate the Democrats rolled out (Hillary) was terrible and was just unlike-able.

And funny how you say Trump wants to rule us when your Biden is the one forcing mandates on the country.
Trump won in 16 because he had dirt on Falwell that got him the evangelical endorsement despite being, well who he is. But that dirt is in the open now.

Yes, even many Democrats don’t particularly care for Hillary or Biden either. It wasn’t a cult you got kicked out of if you disagreed with them unlike Trumpism and its RINOs.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:13 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
In a functional democracy, when you lose an election you concede.
It’s considered the mark of a gentleperson.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:13 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Kelly Tshibaka won in Alaska
This race is not settled. Alaska has ranked voting. Unless someone gets 50% of the first-place votes, the ranked-choice system is used to determine the winner. Instead of just voting for one of the four candidates, voters rank their preferences in order from one through four. They don’t have to – voters could instead choose only to rank their preferred candidate, or only rank their top two.

It looks like neither Murkowski nor Tshibaka will get 50% so the Alaska Division of Elections will eliminate the candidate with the least amount of first-place votes, currently the third Republican, Buzz Kelley. The votes that had gone to that candidate are then assigned to the second choice listed on those voters’ ballots.

If neither gets 50% of the vote at this point, then the Division of Elections would go through a second round of tabulation. Now the third-place finisher, Democrat Patrica Chesbro, would also be eliminated.

As if stands now:
Quote:
As of 7:30 am (EST) Nov 9, with 75% of the vote counted:
Kelly Tshibaka (R) - 93,847 - 44.4%
Lisa Murkowski (R) * - 90,325 - 42.7%
Patricia Chesbro (D) - 20,180 - 9.5%
Buzz Kelley (R) - 6,187 - 2.9%
Total Write-Ins (O) - 1,034 - 0.5%
If Tshibaka doesn’t get enough of Buzz Kelley’s votes to put her over 50%, and that does not look mathematically possible, Murkowski will win because the bulk of Chesbro’s votes are expected to go to Murkowski.

Ranked voting helps elect moderates.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:15 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Hillary Clinton did not run around the country for 4 years claiming the election was stolen from her. She demanded recounts and when that failed she went away. True the dems hated Trump and made things as difficult as possible. They believed Russia interfered with the election and aided Trump. Russia did interfere as was shown with the convictions of Russian operatives by Mueller but it did not change the results.

But Pence certified the election and states certified the results. That saved democracy. If Trump had his way who knows what would have happened. We may find out in 2 years.
Agree.

Read Pence’s full letter saying he can’t claim ‘unilateral authority’ to reject electoral votes

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...lectoral-votes

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Correct, the GOP didn't lose anything.

It's the Dems, with their own Dem president, that will be unable to pass any legislation.

But the left will still declare it a "victory." Sure, if they consider their sitting president being unable to pass any of his legislation.

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He didn't win in 2016 because of his fighting back against the media.

He won in 2016 because he was a showman, an unknown. He seemed to be something different.

It wasn't because of his stance against the media. He had a love affair with Fox, Freitbart. That's no difference than the claims that the Democrat candidates love the liberal media and didn't like Fox.

Trump wasn't in it for the right reasons. Sure a strong ego is important. But it can't be the mainr eason you seek the office. You have to truly want to serve the people. Trump didn't want to serve us...he wanted to rule us.
Oh bull. The media, across the board (except Fox) constantly tore into him, ridiculed and attacked him, and constantly spread lies, and suppressed negative news against his opposition. Yet he punched back hard, hit them when they lied and didn't back down. That IS what won the election for him, not anything on Fox. Fox News might be a powerful force in the cable news arena, but it's a tiny part of the overall media. Now, I will agree that that "punching back" against the media was part of being a showman and part of the appeal. It's something any republican will have to counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies