Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 08:54 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
1. I want people to have more freedom, not less. I want to keep or increase rights for women, LGBTQIA+ folks, immigrants, and others.
2. I don't want to vote for reps who push lies, conspiracy theories, deceive people, and make gullible people look like fools.
3. I don't want to support Putin and Russia in their war or in anything.
4. I want politicians who use public education as a political tool to destroy it.
5. I don't want reps to cut social security.
6. I don't want reps to revoke Obamacare and other rules that make medical care more affordable and protect the public.
7. I don't want politicians who don't understand public health policy and prefer a free for all in an emergency
8. I want politicians who can look outside the box and prepare for the future, not ones that want to conserve a way of life that is best left in the past.
9. I don't want congress people from a party that only wants to win, not govern.
10. Those who win this election will have almost no power over the economy, inflation, or the price of gas so using those as a reason to vote one way or the other is foolish.
11. I want corporations, big money, to pay their fair share of taxes.
12. This election will affect people and their rights in a very personal way and I do not want to curtail rights.
Congratulations for drinking the leftist's kool-aid and right in cink with their lies and stereotyping. Funny, no mention of how Biden and the Democrats have mis-handled "immigration" though.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If you voted Democrat this election, please list your reasons why. Please do it like this:

Trying to understand what is in the mind of Dem. voters. Thank you.
You cannot understand something they don't have. A brain.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't know why you think "save democracy" is a scare tactic.

The GOP has been systemically taking people such as the likes of Brad Raffinsburger (R) (who is rule follower and probably saved Georgia in 2020) and actively working to get people like him out of office and people IN office who have no compunction about lying and would "find" 11,000 votes. Thank God Brad won his election again, in spite of everything that's been done to him for doing his job honorably.

In some places, the state legislatures have been successful in replacing honorable people with those who are election deniers and have problem coming up with "special electors" and other such nonsense.

The GOP is purposefully and publicly dismantling guard rails and we can see it happening.

I used to believe that people in these state positions, whether in my party or not, adhered to our system of checks and balances and followed the rules even when it wasn't "their team."

We can clearly see now that there are a swath of politicians who will openly and brazenly try to run over those guardrails any way they can to obtain a win when the count doesn't go their way.

THAT is a huge problem for me.
Since so many results remain in flux today, I may have missed something - but I haven't seen any R losers from yesterday refusing to concede or declaring election fraud.

You said yourself that the top official in a large state - GA - did his job properly. He won the primary against a Trump-endorsed candidate, and won the race yesterday despite theoretical Dem opposition to him just as a Republican. As to guardrails, impressions, claims, etc, I give you this:

Quote:
Raffensperger was also blasted by President Biden and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams for his role in enacting new voting rules for Georgia. The pair of Democrats argued the new policies constituted "Jim Crow 2.0." Georgia nevertheless broke voting records this midterm cycle.
At least Stacey Abrams conceded this time.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:01 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
Religious extremism from GOP is the main reason for their failure. Instead of focusing on banning abortion and opposing gay marriages, they would have fared well had they focused on basics: economy, inflation, crimes etc.
There is no truth that the GOP is ruled by religious extremism. Abortion is still allowed in several states including some red ones. Many GOPers only oppose a traditional marriage for gays but have no problem with a civil union. Wrong! GOPers are concerned about the economy, inflation and crimes more than the other nonsense you mentioned. They are also concerned about "immigration". Where is the concern on the part of the Democrats on that issue?

Old 11-09-2022, 09:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Thank you for this
If Republicans want to actually know why they didn't sweep the board last night, they need to open their ears and actually listen.

very true!

Old 11-09-2022, 09:02 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Since so many results remain in flux today, I may have missed something - but I haven't seen any R losers from yesterday refusing to concede or declaring election fraud.

You said yourself that the top official in a large state - GA - did his job properly. He won the primary against a Trump-endorsed candidate, and won the race yesterday despite theoretical Dem opposition to him just as a Republican. As to guardrails, impressions, claims, etc, I give you this:

At least Stacey Abrams conceded this time.
You're correct--no one yet has dare uttered the "stolen" line.

I'm talking about the last 2 years and all the efforts to undermine the results with the lies. The fake elector schtick, the smaller, local attempts to replace people on legislatures with those that supported the lies.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:03 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
This election definitely went against the run of play. I think the reasons come down to abortion, election denial, and generally high rates of employment. Inflation was probably the only reason it was this close. I know I had a tempting choice of some decent Republican candidates, but with the strong impact DJT has on the party I went with the incumbents. The amount of money spent on this campaign was ludicrous, and it ended up being a wash.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
However bad the Democratic candidates were/are (and there are plenty of doozies), we cannot afford to have even the remotest message that Trump politics are acceptable in America.

He got the message, but knowing him it won't slow him down, but it may slow the party down and cause them to think about the rejection which the American people just offered up.

We prize our Republic and our democratic form of government. Any further attempt to overthrow it (just like the January 6th assault) will not be tolerated.

That is why people came out in sufficient numbers to elect Democrats. Best of bad choices.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
What if I voted for Dems and Repubs? Do you still care?

It's simple, I vote for the least-worst candidate. I could not care less what the letter after their name is.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:12 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Wow. Not a single mention of the economy.

Democrats must REALLY like multiple years of soaring inflation, high gas prices, high food prices. Enjoy your lost buying power. Good luck being able to afford a home before you are 40. Good luck with your unreliable electric power supplies and your high home heating oil costs. Enjoy those cripping credit card interest rates.

Who thinks college costs are going down under the Democrats?

I am a little surprised at all of the reasons given like Jan 6 or lies about stolen elections, which have absolutely NO bearing on your day-to-day lives while the coming deep recession could cause you to lose your job, and high inflation is destoying your future buying power.

Baffling.

It used to be "the economy stupid". Now it is "I would rather cut off my nose to spite my face".

We live in interesting times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies