Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2022, 10:22 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Governor DeSantis, who I voted for the first time, had a response that was too extreme when it came to the schools that shut down during the pandemic and then reopened with limitations. He does deserve credit for getting the schools to fully reopen but then threatened to punish the districts by removing funding. We all know that move will affect the students, my daughter being one of them. If the people of our county are unhappy with how the school board handled the closing and re-opening of schools, then let the citizens vote them out.

Also, the "Don't say gay" "anti-woke" is pretty extreme language, but I know that is what excites people so I don't won't blame him for using it. My daughter has been going to public schools in Broward county since 2012, she is white and has never felt any bias against her nor has she felt that she was born with privileges because of the color of her skin. She has been attending very diverse schools, in other words, she is a minority.

Just like the Republicans voted for Trump to send a message to the democrats, I voted for blue for the same reason. Obviously, my vote and those of Broward county democrats had little effect as the majority of our state turned bright red yesterday.
Because our state is now mostly Republicans transplants. We can’t change the numbers. I’m almost 70 and I get it, my grands say, got to wait until they die off.
In 2025 the Z generation will have the lead in population. Then things will change.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:23 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If you voted Democrat this election, please list your reasons why. Please do it like this:
Trying to understand what is in the mind of Dem. voters. Thank you.
You cannot understand something they don't have. A brain.
Excellent Republican post!

You gave us a great example of why the American people reject the Republican party time and again.

You just proved that the following comment in post #81 has merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove

The GOP's nasty rhetoric makes them incredibly unlikeable. They went from "own the libs," to "swimming in liberal tears" to "snowflakes", yet anything directed at them is met with horror and outrage. ...

Old 11-09-2022, 10:24 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Democrats don't worship a human being the way the far-right does, propping up their belief with Bible verses to "prove" he was ordained by God to lead like one of your gurus on this forum does.

In fact, I know very few people who were ever actually enthusiastic about our current POTUS. He was simply the only other choice, but no one is saying God put him there that I have ever heard.

We need better choices from both parties, or another one. We need people to choose leaders for their expertise and character, not because they are a celebrity and had a teevee show or just because they are not the other guy.
What a hilarious statement.

Barak Obama was worshipped more than any politician in US history. Give me a break.

The first black president was treated like a rock star. Women cried at his rallies and said they wanted to have his children. He was considered the Dem Messiah when he was elected.

The New Rising Dawn
Barack Obama: The Messianic President

December 8, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/New-Rising-Da.../dp/1426918275

How soon you forget.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:24 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
To PO the cons. What other reason is there?
There have been some very good answers here. It's too bad you didn't read them.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:26 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I voted Dem, because I think Republicans leaders are control freaks and trying to return us back to the 50’s. I dislike DeSantis for his lies. Trumpy said would leash out some info on him, I don’t need to know, he has a forked tongue and looks for problems where there are none and now created even more.
So if he runs in 24/ who takes the helm? I can’t remember if we have a special election or what.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:31 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You're one of the minority who actually keeps tabs on what said candidate has done during their tenure.
Most voters either:
1. Forget or don't bother.
2 Vote by emotion.
We need more of you, as it seems the country is lost to double digit Jerry Springer types.
Thank you for the compliment. I have to admit, I completely forgot about the threat to women's rights. If a party claims to be the party of family values, the party of parents first, the party of children first, and then threatens to take funding from schools as a punishment after the fact, then they will do other extreme things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Because our state is now mostly Republicans transplants. We can’t change the numbers. I’m almost 70 and I get it, my grands say, got to wait until they die off.
In 2025 the Z generation will have the lead in population. Then things will change.
Republicans are also counting on Latinos. If they are truly a party about conservative ideals and not the party of extremism, then they may keep that voting block. But when I first moved here, I was warned not to live in Miami Dade unless I wanted to hear Spanish all the time and be in a place that doesn't resemble America. If that doesn't represent Republicans anymore, then, yes, they have progressed.

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
This is a hugely underrated reason why I can't see myself voting GOP for the foreseeable future: the entire party seems like it exudes negativity. They rarely have anything positive to say about anyone or any place. I never find myself offended by any of their quips, but it seems like some of them live to make others' existence miserable. It's even on the stickers and flags they throw onto the backs of their lifted trucks! This is not to mention all of the racial and religious slurs that their members either openly throw around, throw around in private, or wish they could say in public but "aMuRicA hAs gOnE wOkEeEeEeEeEeE!!1!"
Add to that the willingness they seem to have to mock people with disabilities. Geez, you might not like Fetterman, but the jeering at the man's speech and movement as the result of a stroke are appalling. My dad was a lifelong Republican who was a double amputee from WWII. Would this new Republican crowd have mocked him, as well? And his followers laughed and cheered when Trump made fun of a disabled person.

If nothing else, it's bad karma, people. It can happen to you or someone you love.

And yeah, as soon as anyone starts in with the term "Woke", that is my signal that they can't be taken seriously.

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Well going after women was a huge mistake.

Dems May have used covid to win in 2020, but they didn’t steal the election.

Crime obviously wasn’t as big a deal as was assumed.

Anti wokeness didn’t hurt or help imo.

Immigration, along with the economy, may be among the few items that actually helped Republicans.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:35 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Governor DeSantis, who I voted for the first time, had a response that was too extreme when it came to the schools that shut down during the pandemic and then reopened with limitations. He does deserve credit for getting the schools to fully reopen but then threatened to punish the districts by removing funding. We all know that move will affect the students, my daughter being one of them. If the people of our county are unhappy with how the school board handled the closing and re-opening of schools, then let the citizens vote them out.

Also, the "Don't say gay" "anti-woke" is pretty extreme language, but I know that is what excites people so I don't won't blame him for using it. My daughter has been going to public schools in Broward county since 2012, she is white and has never felt any bias against her nor has she felt that she was born with privileges because of the color of her skin. She has been attending very diverse schools, in other words, she is a minority.

Just like the Republicans voted for Trump to send a message to the democrats, I voted for blue for the same reason. Obviously, my vote and those of Broward county democrats had little effect as the majority of our state turned bright red yesterday.
DeSantis gave parents the choice to either keep their kids at home and do distance learning OR send them to their brick mortar schools. The vast majority of parents in the state opted to send their kids to their brick and mortar schools. Kids were allowed to play sports, participate in band, drama and other extracurricular activities. Families actually moved to Florida because of DeSantis and his sound decision making.

That, to me, was about the most sensible approach a governor could have taken.

An extreme approach would have been to order the schools to remain closed, forbid students to participate in their chosen sports and extracurricular activities and stay at home, away from their peers. Some governors in this country, like Gretchen Whitmer, chose to do that and somehow people still voted her back into office. Crazy.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:39 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
DeSantis gave parents the choice to either keep their kids at home and do distance learning OR send them to their brick mortar schools. The vast majority of parents in the state opted to send their kids to their brick and mortar schools. Kids were allowed to play sports, participate in band, drama and other extracurricular activities. Families actually moved to Florida because of DeSantis and his sound decision making.

That, to me, was about the most sensible approach a governor could have taken.

An extreme approach would have been to order the schools to remain closed, forbid students to participate in their chosen sports and extracurricular activities and stay at home, away from their peers. Some governors in this country, like Gretchen Whitmer, chose to do that and somehow people still voted her back into office. Crazy.
I did say that he gets credit for making districts reopen the schools. He also gets credit for other things, for example, supporting the Parkland parents for school safety, for making it easy to evacuate the last time I had to for a hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies