Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 01:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't understand the draw to EV's.

In a world that is moving ever faster waiting for a charge seems like a massive waste of time.

My wife and I recently took a little trip to coastal Maine. On the way we stopped at a service center on the highway and there were 4 Tesla's sitting there charging. I noted one that had a family of 4 sitting inside. We went in and had lunch, came out walked the pup around, took some photos with the pup next to a big moose statue, went to the gas pumps for several gallons and we were ready to hit the road again. We were there about 45 minutes and that Tesla was still charging.

Later on our trip we found cheap gas and filled up our JeeP SUV for the drive home. A full tank gave us over 600 miles. How many miles does that Tesla get on a full charge? Also where we stayed was an island off an island attached by bridges. I didn't see any charging stations so I guess that Tesla would be out of luck? On the last night we were there a transformer blew during the night and we woke up to the sound of many small generators running. What happens if the charging station you are plugged into didn't have a backup generator and instead of having a full charge that you were counting on to get you half way home you now have a quarter charge?

I guess you will have no choice but to sit and wait for the charge, IF the power came back on.

Of course the planet is precious but our time is even more so.
This is why I prefer PHEVs like my Chevy Volt (which unfortunately is discontinued). I normally have around 55 miles of EV range for doing everything locally, but if I want to make a road trip I simply switch to 'hold mode' which starts the engine.. I can then keep traveling as long as there's gas stations around. My car now has 33k miles on it, and I'd guess maybe 6k of those were actually with the engine running. Not much, but worth it when I need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 01:44 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Resale value of a 10 year old EV is zero.
Really - the data says that is not true - Edmunds says a base model 2012 Model S is worth about $24K - that is not zero.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:58 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The appeal? Go from 0-60 in a Tesla Model S then get back to us.

Do a 400+ mile weekly round trip with no charging stations available any place en route and then get back to us.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
There is more to "performance" than the 0-60 time. Acceleration isn't everything.
So? What larger SUV would beat the Model X around a track? The Tesla performance is more than just in the 0-60 and the "performance" Model X that has over 1000 hp has a 0-60 more like 2.5 Seconds and quarter mile at 9.75 seconds (holds the record for SUV).

For lap times, the Model X beat such supercars as the Bugatti, Ferarri and Lambourgini around the race track - https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/grand-tour-eboladrome - the performance of the Model X is much more than 0-60 times.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:21 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So? What larger SUV would beat the Model X around a track? The Tesla performance is more than just in the 0-60 and the "performance" Model X that has over 1000 hp has a 0-60 more like 2.5 Seconds and quarter mile at 9.75 seconds (holds the record for SUV).

For lap times, the Model X beat such supercars as the Bugatti, Ferarri and Lambourgini around the race track - https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/grand-tour-eboladrome - the performance of the Model X is much more than 0-60 times.
How often do you take your vehicles to a track?

Or do you run them on a dragstrip?

Old 11-30-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Do a 400+ mile weekly round trip with no charging stations available any place en route and then get back to us.
Where is that made up scenario going to exist? Here is a link to all level 2 + public chargers in the US and Canada - have to be in very rural Canada or maybe Alaska or Montana to get close to 400 miles without a charger. https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electr...rest?fuel=ELEC Also every plug is a potential charging spot so always something is available even if slow.

I do longer trips in an EV all the time and charging stations are every 30-50 miles along most every freeway and highway.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How often do you take your vehicles to a track?

Or do you run them on a dragstrip?
What is your point - not everyone drives on the track but kind of need to use track times to fairly compare with actual real data differences between vehicles. You can't seem to grasp that the Teslas have better performance than most comparable vehicles and need to get to big buck supercars to get better performance in most cases. The post was that performance was more than 0-60 which is why the comparison was used. What would be a better way to compare?

While most never see a track, everyone drives from a stop light or accelerates onto the freeway. What do you not get - every stop light or on ramp is a quick 0-60 experience unlike any other vehicle - always way ahead of the rest and so much fun.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:49 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What is your point - not everyone drives on the track but kind of need to use track times to fairly compare with actual real data differences between vehicles. You can't seem to grasp that the Teslas have better performance than most comparable vehicles and need to get to big buck supercars to get better performance in most cases. The post was that performance was more than 0-60 which is why the comparison was used. What would be a better way to compare?

While most never see a track, everyone drives from a stop light or accelerates onto the freeway. What do you not get - every stop light or on ramp is a quick 0-60 experience unlike any other vehicle - always way ahead of the rest and so much fun.
You're the one who always mentions track times so I thought I'd ask.

Oh, I grasp it all right. I just don't understand the penis measuring aspect of it. that's all. So what if your car can get 0-60 in 3 seconds if you never do it, or need to?

Just as a note, here in Maryland if you pulled that 0-60 **** in the wrong jurisdiction, you'd be looking at an aggressive driving citation.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Resale is something that is not talked about much, but is a valid concern when talking about EVs. EV technology has been developing so fast that a decade old Nissan Leaf with an 80 mile range would be of little interest today unless it were almost free. My biggest fear in buying an EV is how fast it could become obsolete due to rapid technical advancements, similar to how a 4 or 5 year old smartphone gets phased out.

In contrast, a 10 year old ICE vehicle that has been well maintained and driven less than 100K miles is likely to have good resale value, especially if it is a type or model of vehicle in demand. A well maintained 10 year old pickup truck might resell today for close to or more than what it sold new a decade ago. The technology is much more mature and aside from add-on gadgets and electronics, the core vehicle technology is still pretty close to a decade ago.
According to Edmunds and KBB TCO data (which includes estimated resale after 5 years) - a Tesla is cheaper to operate and is worth more than an equivalent ICE.

From KBB, a 10 year old Medel S is still worth about $20K, a 10 year old BMW series 7 is worth about $5K - which would you rather own?

My 7 year old LEAF with a 73 mile range is worth about $9K, so not almost free. Newer ones - my 4 year old Model 3 is worth about 75% of what I paid and my 3 year old Model X is worth about 90% of what I paid - most ICE are about 58% after 3 years and under 50% after 4 years.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're the one who always mentions track times so I thought I'd ask.

Oh, I grasp it all right. I just don't understand the penis measuring aspect of it. that's all. So what if your car can get 0-60 in 3 seconds if you never do it, or need to?

Just as a note, here in Maryland if you pulled that 0-60 **** in the wrong jurisdiction, you'd be looking at an aggressive driving citation.
Why the vulgar language - it is certainly only "measuring" in your view - and it was in direct response to a post about performance. The times are nothing more than a means of comparison - you still haven't proposed any better way to objectively look at the comparison or better way to respond to the fact that performance is "more than 0-60 time" - I gave some more data that was more than 0-60.

It is you that seems stuck on "measuring" that sounds more like judging and trying to impose your opinion with an attempt to put down others. The Tesla is silent so not seen as aggressive as long as not racing. Who exactly appointed you to judge and why do you feel the need to put down other opinions?

BTW - My Model X is about 4.7 seconds and I use the acceleration all the time, but mostly 0-30 away from a light - never to race or drive aggressively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies