Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 10:50 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Just about everywhere, if someone in office dies (or is otherwise unable to finish her/his term), the party of the deceased person gets to choose the replacement.

But if the person dies during a campaign, rules differ by state.
Nope. There are laws that govern it and in the U.S. the party does not choose the replacement.

In the U.S. there are laws that handle these situations. It depends on the office and the state but the only time a political party gets to choose is if someone drops out or dies before the election and only before laws like the one in P.A. kick in. The reason for such laws is that there isn't enough time to print new ballots.

After the election, the office will either:

1. Be unfilled till a special election fills it
2. Be filled with someone who is appointed by an elected official(of any party)
3. Be filled with someone who is a designated back up to elected official(Vice President(for the President), Lieutenant Governor(for most Governors)).
4. There are a few oddball states where the wife(or other family member) can succeed the husband but that is rare.

The amount of time they can fill the office without an election will likewise vary and is set by law. Often a special election will be held as soon as possible but this of course varies by state laws.

In the case of the U.S. House, the state will try to hold an election as soon as possible because it's delegation is smaller(i.e. the state does not have as much power in Congress regardless of party) and the U.S. Constitution does not allow this position to be appointed. In the case of the Senate the Governor can appoint someone provided no state law exists(State law takes precedence). State reps and State senators represent people in a district and they are usually replaced by election.

The only place I know of that fills positions like that is the Australian Senate and for good reason. People in Australia vote for party not person as in the U.S..

Last edited by chirack; 11-11-2022 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 11:53 PM

1,368 posts, read 489,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/pennsylva...ite-being-dead

"A Pennsylvania state representative who died last month was reelected during the midterm elections, reports say.

Democrat Anthony "Tony" DeLuca died Oct. 9 "after a brief battle with lymphoma, a disease he twice previously beat. He was 85," the Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus wrote.

DeLuca was Pennsylvania's longest-serving state rep, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
."

I guess it isn't too surprising that PA Dems elected a US Senator who can barely speak or convey a cogent thought if they'll vote for and elect a dead man as a state representative.

Reportedly, some of the Dem voters in PA were asking the poll workers where Obama's name was on the ballot because they thought he was running for President.
I thought they WERE talking about fetterman!

Old 11-11-2022, 11:57 PM

1,368 posts, read 489,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Not only was he elected but probably voted for himself as well
Plus 1

Old 11-12-2022, 09:24 AM

1,353 posts, read 789,518 times
I wonder how will the elected dead people serve this country??

Old 11-12-2022, 11:12 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Our entire system is broken and I blame the media

Old 11-12-2022, 11:19 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
i thought this was another thread about Fetterman

Old 11-12-2022, 11:30 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I wonder how will the elected dead people serve this country??
I guarantee they will do a better job than Biden.

Old 11-12-2022, 11:37 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
i thought this was another thread about Fetterman
LOL...well Tony did vote for Fetterman.

Old 11-12-2022, 01:47 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps voters in his district understand Pennsylvania law better than you do. This story was all over the news locally.

Rep. DeLuca died on October 9. State law dictates that once ballot printing begins, they cannot be reprinted with a substitute candidate. His name could not be removed from the ballots, which were printed in late September.

A special election will determine the next representative for that district. Voting for DeLuca triggered that special election - a do-over, if you will. So apparently the voters in that district prefer going back to the polls in a month or two over DeLuca's opponent. That's their choice.

Rep. DeLuca was an incumbent. Technically, he died in office. His seat will remain vacant until the special election - which sucks for the people of the district, who may not be represented in the statehouse for several months, depending on how quickly the special election takes place.

Cheer up! There was no Republican on the ballot this time; maybe one will run for the seat in the special election.
My understanding is someone will be appointed until the election takes place, I could be wrong.

Old 11-12-2022, 01:59 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
My understanding is someone will be appointed until the election takes place, I could be wrong.
Rules for Special Elections in the state legislature differ by state, however 25 states including Pennsylvania the seat will remain vacant until a Special Election can be held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies