Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 03:41 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times

Advertisements

More proof that student loan forgiveness is a dumb idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 05:09 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
While I oppose student loan forgiveness, just call it a done deal.

The US government is going to pay money to reduce individual student loan balances.

The US government holds the debt that students owe for college loans.

Could not the US government simply pay the money they control for the debts they hold, directly to themselves to cut out the middle-man insure all the money goes to loan repayment?

As opposed to mailing out checks and then hoping people use them to retire student loan debt.

Hello? Bueller?

What is wrong with this picture?

You come to realize, politicians are not serious. It is all just a scam.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:12 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

The US government is going to pay money to reduce individual student loan balances.

Could not the US government simply pay the money they control for the debts they hold, directly to themselves to cut out the middle-man insure all the money goes to loan repayment?

As opposed to mailing out checks and then hoping people use them to retire student loan debt.

Hello? Bueller?

Not a done deal

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-jud...al-2022-11-11/

Old 11-10-2022, 06:23 PM

20,105 posts, read 9,018,880 times
why not dismiss car loans?

Old 11-10-2022, 06:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Sounds like it will increase the consumer base for many small and local businesses.

If I end up getting it, I plan on a new roof or windows. Again a benefit to local businesses.
you're way too old to get forgiveness for not being able to generate enough income to pay your agreed-to debt.

Fortunately for the vast majority of Americans, yet another judge has ruled against Biden's fascist attempt to circumvent Congress.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...ar/ar-AA13YSBt

My favorite Biden Admin statement:

Quote:
The administration has argued in legal memos that the pandemic is a national emergency that has made it harder for student borrowers to pay back their loans.
We were at sub-4% unemployment pre-pandemic. We are back at sub-4% unemployment. Interest didn't accrue, and payments weren't required. To claim any widespread inability to pay because of the pandemic is the most specious BS possible. And the decree of a fascist.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:59 PM

276 posts, read 146,146 times
As someone who went to college with student loans and paid them off many years ago (I'm not that old, I just paid them off as fast as possible) the whole thing is stupid. For one isn't it like a max of $10k? If $10k is going to make that much of a difference in your life then you did not go to college for a real degree. If you did go to college for a legit career and you manage your finances properly then $10k isn't going to do much for you.

I don't know anyone who is in a tough financial situation because of $10k of student loan debt. So the people getting this money will either not really need it or if they do need it they probably tend to make very poor financial and life decisions and will probably do the same with the $10k. Meanwhile a bunch of people who probably never even went to college are going to be paying for it.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:01 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why not dismiss car loans?
I agree. Don’t forget home loans and loan sharks.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Hello? Bueller?

they're not mailing these people checks.

If you owe $5,000 and qualify, it's wiped out.

If you owe $11,000 and qualify, you'd owe $1,000.

If you weren't poor and got some private school doctorate in gender studies and owe $300,000 but earn $15,000 a year, you'd owe $290,000.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:11 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Whoever supports student loan forgiveness should be invoiced for the amount forgiven plus interest.

Pay for your own damn "compassion".

Old 11-10-2022, 07:12 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Big boost for the economy. Banks pretty much got their principal back already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies