Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 10:23 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I never watch any of the alphabet channels unless its a game that is on. Even shows like Billions and House of Cards used fictional politicians. This is total dirty pool. You would never see them use Gov. Newsome like this.
Imagine if they'd done it with Cuomo?

Yep, actual sexual harassment and then had actual board members from a womens rights group try to drag down the accuser to protect Cuomo. (They later resigned)

Seems like rather than take an actual story they had to portray it more favorably politically for their target audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 10:28 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
In this case it would be a streaming service attached to the legacy alphabet network. And thus the title confused me as The Good Wife was gone before Trump was elected or DeSantis was Governor.
There you go. I know Netflix revives network TV shows.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:33 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Imagine if they'd done it with Cuomo?

Yep, actual sexual harassment and then had actual board members from a womens rights group try to drag down the accuser to protect Cuomo. (They later resigned)

Seems like rather than take an actual story they had to portray it more favorably politically for their target audience.
So apparently they used a Milos character but a different name yet they used DeSantis's name. Its one thing if they mentioned him in passing but putting him in the middle of a gay sex scandal is pure politics.

I never watch those shows but I have on occasion been at someone's home an they one of those shows on and the target audience seems to always be the left. The liberals are the good ones and the bad people are conservatives.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:45 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
That's kinda bordering on slander, even if it is fiction.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:02 AM

9,835 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitte...s-sex-offender

I am not a fan of mixing real-life politics with fake tv politics, as it blurs the line between entertainment and reality.
I can see if a tv show doesn't deal with a president to have their picture in an office building but other than that yes they should not use their actual names or events out of context.

TV producer Dick Wolfe does this alot on his shows. They even swiped at Rush Limbaugh and made a conservative commentator a rape victim on his Law & Order shows.. More recently on his FBI shows they've been hitting 'white supremecist' and 'Jan 6' talking points. I think writing staffs have changed because FBI Most Wanted was pretty neutral but started this year with a white guy planning a mass shooting among other things. FBI was hitting all liberal talking points is currently is the most neutral.

They can do ripped from the headlines stories but real life characters & political messaging needs to be minor. Using real life characters can date a show or make it too real for those who pay attention to the news.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:11 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
It's all theatre.

They are just being upfront about it now.

I've been posting 'it's all theatre' for years. They are programming you.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:18 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I am not a fan of mixing real-life politics with fake tv politics, as it blurs the line between entertainment and reality.
Most of us have little problem decerning the difference.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:24 PM

6,010 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Most of us have little problem discerning the difference.
Many people actually believe that Sarah Palin said that she could see Russia from her house...

Old 11-11-2022, 12:27 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Public political figure, you can pretty much say *whatever* about them as much as you want.

SNL had a character portraying Manchin talking about how he wanted to use child labor to mine coal.
I'm pretty sure that the laws against slander apply even when it's politicians who are being slandered. Satire is protected speech, so I'm sure that's how SNL got by with the Manchin skit.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:34 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm pretty sure that the laws against slander apply even when it's politicians who are being slandered. Satire is protected speech, so I'm sure that's how SNL got by with the Manchin skit.
The laws do apply but the standard for proving slander or libel of a public figure is really high and almost insurmountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies