Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 09:30 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times

Advertisements

Abortion is another issue that the Dems will use EVERY election cycle to scare gullible female voters into voting for the Dems. It's just like the Dems' claim that "Republicans are going to push Granny over the cliff in her wheelchair" to scare the elderly on fixed income.

Personally, I don't think those scare tactics are very effective, but yet they might work on SOME people. I find it hard to believe that a female who wants to get an abortion, regardless which state she's in, couldn't scrape up enough money for a round trip bus ticket to a state that offers free abortion clinics. There might even be groups who would pay for the bus ticket, meals, and lodging (if needed) for such trips.

At worst, abortions have just been made a bit more inconvenient for people in SOME states. In many states, it's still business as usual. No, I don't think that abortion is the big issue that cost the R's a lot of House and Senate seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 09:41 PM

4,507 posts, read 1,863,256 times
I’m sorry but it absolutely was about abortion. Ask all these angry women who went out to vote against republicans. This is mainstream.

Only fringe lunatics care about January 6th. Republicans lost because of abortion.

Look, I get why some people are against abortion, but if republicans keep waging this war, we are not going to win enough elections.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:05 PM

3,261 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
How much of a role did abortion play in this election?

The Democrats want you to think that it was the dam that stopped the red wave. It really wasn't, as Catherine Glenn Foster wrote:

"If anything was less impressive on election night than the “red wave,” it was the abortion wave. Blue states protected abortion rights as expected, but public officials who have supported or enforced limits on abortion in nearly 20 red states were re-elected.

"Americans have learned since June that the U.S. Supreme Court didn’t make abortion illegal in the Dobbs decision. Instead, after decades of jurisprudence that effectively taught Americans to embrace abortion, the Court made abortion an issue for voters, for Congress, and for states."

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._abortion.html
I think it was about Trump/MAGA…with abortion being part of that bigger story.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
In many states, I agree - it wasn't about abortion. But the issue did bring out the young female voters who normally would not vote.

In SC, the female doctor who was running against Nancy Mace was running on nothing but abortion. Every ad and flyer I saw that was all she talked about. She lost by 14%.

Down here, people are more concerned about the cost of groceries and gas to get back and forth to work each day. They are also concerned about how they will afford Christmas presents for their kids next month. They don't think they can pay for it all and that matters more to them than abortion.
So can you tell me what Macy's big solution to inflation is? I live in South Carolina and while she posted a video about how much eggs cost she never suggested what she would do. And she lied in her ads claiming that her opponent was an advocate for defending the police. This just wasn't true

Old 11-13-2022, 05:32 AM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I’m sorry but it absolutely was about abortion. Ask all these angry women who went out to vote against republicans. This is mainstream.
I don't see how. The women's vote shifted to the right.

Women

2018: D +19
2022: D +8

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022...rm-2018-shift/

Old 11-13-2022, 05:53 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
It's mainly the mail in voting. Abortion was only a secondary issue. The democrats are getting hundred of thousands (or in 2020, millions) of more votes due to the mail and a lot from young people, and the ever expanding illegal alien vote, that they never had before, and the republicans better get it figured out by next election, otherwise we are looking at more of the same for 4 more years.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:59 AM

3,261 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't see how. The women's vote shifted to the right.

Women

2022: D +8

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022...rm-2018-shift/
And had abortion not been an issue, the data for woman voters would probably have looked more like this:

2022: R +14

Old 11-13-2022, 03:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
How much of a role did abortion play in this election?

The Democrats want you to think that it was the dam that stopped the red wave. It really wasn't, as Catherine Glenn Foster wrote:

"If anything was less impressive on election night than the “red wave,” it was the abortion wave. Blue states protected abortion rights as expected, but public officials who have supported or enforced limits on abortion in nearly 20 red states were re-elected.

"Americans have learned since June that the U.S. Supreme Court didn’t make abortion illegal in the Dobbs decision. Instead, after decades of jurisprudence that effectively taught Americans to embrace abortion, the Court made abortion an issue for voters, for Congress, and for states."

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._abortion.html
the original author is the head of a Right to Life outfit. The chances they would acknowledge the role played, when they are clearly not performing close to expectations at the ballot box, are almost zero.

IMO, true "conservatism" doesn't care about the practice of abortion, and certainly not before clear viability of the fetus. A true conservative wants a contraction of government, not an expansion, and a default to personal privacy and rights.

As far as abortion, it seems pretty simple. There's about 20% of adults who are willing to proclaim "no limits, entirely up to the woman" and there's about 10% willing to proclaim "no abortion except to save life of mother".

So, since the Dems will absolutely never leave the "pro-abortion side", it's time for the conservatives, assuming they choose to identify as Republicans, to simply say "We think that's too much, and belongs at the state level, not the Federal" and leave it at that. The Dems have shown themselves happy to declare "no limits at all, it's women's rights." Let them own that position, and be just to the right of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies