Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 11:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes, I think extreme pro-lifers are what damaged the Republicans. And until they can give up and become sensible and moderate on abortion, the same thing will continue.

I would have had no reservations about voting for Republicans if not for abortion, since I agree with them on most other current issues. And I bet there are plenty other females who feel the same way.

Abortion has been a stupid controversy for many decades. An embryo with no brain or nervous system is NOT a person. Where exactly it becomes a person, no one can really say. But definitely NOT at the moment of fertilization.

Before modern medicine stuck its nose into it. a fetus was considered a person when the mother first could feel it moving. That seems reasonable enough.

Then conception was discovered, and medical professionals made the stupid decision that has plagued American politics ever since.

Get over it pro-lifers. Save your compassion for the many others that need and deserve it. Stop screwing up elections. Stop being mono-maniacs.

NO ONE KNOWS when a fetus becomes a person. Let's set arbitrary reasonable practical limits. And most of all, make abortion pills easy to get.
If your mom aborted you at 4 weeks, 16 weeks or 24 weeks, which abortion would you have survived?

If she had ANY abortion, would you be here?

Nope.

Because abortion kills. Life begins at conception, according to 95% of biologists, the majority of which were pro choice, non religious and registered as Democrats.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:22 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I never supported the repealing of roe vs Wade.

Yes, liberal misery brings me great joy, but not at the cost of GOP losing elections.

The left does not believe in “my body my choice” (COVID vaccines taught us that), but that doesn’t mean Roe should be repealed either.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:36 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
There is little question that their 40+ years of fevered fanaticism to overturn Roe v. Wade, allowing states to recriminalize abortion, played a part in their massive underperformance in the midterm elections
Actually, the women's vote shifted to the right by 11 points this election. ALL other voter groups shifted to the right, as well:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022...rm-2018-shift/

Old 11-13-2022, 11:37 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If a woman has 3 kids and loses her job, which kid does she get to kill since she claims she can't afford them?

The oldest? The youngest? Please explain and show your work.
There's a big difference between children you choose to have and children you are forced to have. And, frankly, Republican's refusal to acknowledge the cost of children overall is a huge reason why they are losing with younger folks.

If $15,000- $30,000 is pocket change to you, how many children's daycare are you supporting? Or is it really not about babies at all?

Old 11-13-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If your mom aborted you at 4 weeks, 16 weeks or 24 weeks, which abortion would you have survived?

If she had ANY abortion, would you be here?

Nope.

Because abortion kills. Life begins at conception, according to 95% of biologists, the majority of which were pro choice, non religious and registered as Democrats.

Life begins at first breath according to the Bible. Ask your Rabbi.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:45 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:

For the umpteenth time:

Access to abortion has everything to do with affordability to live. Women are the working class. We wait your tables. We clean your hotel rooms, and houses. We check your bags at Walmart, and your groceries at Safeway. We work the lines at factories. We clerk in county courthouses. We care for your grandparents, and your children. We care for you when you are sick.
Utter BS. Mostly, the lower a woman's income, the LESS likely she is to abort.

Abortion Rates by Income Level, Unplanned Pregnancies:

Poverty Level: 8.6%
100%-200%: 7.8%
200%-300%: 16.2%
300%-400%: 8.0%
Over 400%: 31.9%

Source: Brookings Institution

Old 11-13-2022, 11:48 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:

For the umpteenth time:

Access to abortion has everything to do with affordability to live. Women are the working class. We wait your tables. We clean your hotel rooms, and houses. We check your bags at Walmart, and your groceries at Safeway. We work the lines at factories. We clerk in county courthouses. We care for your grandparents, and your children. We care for you when you are sick.

The one thing around the world that helps lift people out of poverty and afford to live is women having control over how many children they have and when they have them. Supporting a woman's right to bodily autonomy is a major contributor towards financial stability for women and families.

Reproductive freedom is an economic issue, as well as a basic human one. Here in the USA the GOP has shown us that women’s lives, health, dignity, financial future and responsibilities to existing children do not matter. An individual woman's ability to afford to live---as you state as your goal--- does not matter to them.

And back to the topic of this thread: The GOP owns Dobbs which allows states to recriminalize abortion here in 2022, and which many Republican legislatures have done in spades. Women’s lives, health, dignity, financial future and responsibilities to existing children--- all mentioned above--- do not matter to the GOP and that very knowledge drove women and young people to the polls. It propelled Democratic candidates to victory, and it delivered decisive wins for women's rights advocates in every state referendum on abortion.

The GOP's repulsive stance on women's human rights and their success at overturning the protections of Roe, following their 40+ year fevered crusade, did indeed hurt the Republican Party who for decades and decades have told us of their desire to subjugate women. Americans comprehend this.
Unfortunately the demo of this forum is so old and appalling that it's practically Taliban. They won't listen. They want to see women's rights back to the 1950s.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Utter BS. Mostly, the lower a woman's income, the LESS likely she is to abort.

Abortion Rates by Income Level, Unplanned Pregnancies:

Poverty Level: 8.6%
100%-200%: 7.8%
200%-300%: 16.2%
300%-400%: 8.0%
Over 400%: 31.9%

Source: Brookings Institution

There are benefits at poverty level. In many places, you need at least5-6 times poverty level to afford to rent a 1 bedroom by yourself, and yet there's no financial assistance.

If rent for a 1 bedroom is $2000, utilities are another $200-300, and daycare is $2500 a month (all accurate numbers for the far-flung suburb where I live), then you'd need to make around 75K to afford it. And that's NOT counting any food, transportation, clothing, medical care or insurance, or savings.

Keep in mind that 400% poverty rate for one is only $54,460. That's not enough to get approved to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in much of the country.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:59 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
RINO Lindsey Graham made abortion 'a' big issue by calling for national wide ban or limit on 15 weeks. The news and much commentary on the scotus decision has died down. But Graham made his move a few weeks before early mail in voting started.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...eeks-rcna47530

Old 11-13-2022, 11:59 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I never supported the repealing of roe vs Wade.

Yes, liberal misery brings me great joy, but not at the cost of GOP losing elections.

The left does not believe in “my body my choice” (COVID vaccines taught us that), but that doesn’t mean Roe should be repealed either.
I have never supported bad law or misinterpreting the Constitution.

I hate to see the US flag burned by protestors. Burning the US flag is protected speech, as long as it is your flag and you don't damage someone else's flag. Congress tried to criminalize desecrating the US flag. The Supreme Court correctly overturned that 1989 law as violating free speech.

I don't like it that people can burn a US flag, but I do agree that the courts followed the US constitution.

All the courts did in Dobbs was follow the US Constitution.

Liberals are blaming the GOP for that?

If liberals want a right to unrestricted abortion in the US constution, then pass an amendment. If they can't get an abortion amendment passed, then what does that say about the widespread appeal of their view?

If you don't like the Constitution, change it, but don't make up your own interpretation of it the way the Burger court did with Roe v. Wade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies