Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 11:47 AM

7,353 posts, read 3,525,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Anyone that does criticize doesn't get a platform, I'll give you that. I just have a hard time with vague "they" statements. Say the media, or establishment Dems, or pundits, or voters etc.
i know one should never generalize, but i have many liberal family and friends and they will not discuss anything critical of democrats. my sister walked out of my house because someone was playing a parody of Biden on YouTube. all the negative things that were said by my coworkers about Trump, not one statement about the current administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 11:50 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
How red id red? I was looking at some numbers from a fairly typical Midwestern state that has been solidly red for a few years. Its most notable political feature transcends party -- an urban/rural divide. That fuels most of the politics. Only 14% of the population lives is actual rural communities. Not enough to really make a difference. The rest live in metro- or micropolitan communities with the vast majority in metro areas. The big cities are blue while the rural and most micro cities are red. The big cities pretty much run themselves. Most of what matters is local, so they don't waste much attention on the more rural parts. The Democrats are asleep at the wheel as they have the numbers, but they lost their statewide focus. The divide works both ways and they don't care what happen in East Jesus pr Podunque. The GOP is very much engaged in party infighting and clinging to power. They seem to enjoy sticking it to the cities. This situation, a benign ignorance and a spiteful impunity will probably not last many more election cycles. So, I wonder if a red state in this situation, and there are others, will remain as red or turn purple as time passes. This divide is not a healthy situation. But most all blue states, like mine, have very red counties. Maybe the safe haven for red partisans is on the county level.

Old 11-12-2022, 11:55 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post

This country will never be united again. Besides, the word "Unity" to Democrats means you cave to their demands. That is their unity, just like in any communist nation.
Quote:
Depends on if you are observing the real world, the politics world, or the news world. Do you realize many Dems don't like Biden? That doesn't scream consensus.
But did they vote against him?

Old 11-12-2022, 12:28 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
How red id red? I was looking at some numbers from a fairly typical Midwestern state that has been solidly red for a few years. Its most notable political feature transcends party -- an urban/rural divide. That fuels most of the politics. Only 14% of the population lives is actual rural communities. Not enough to really make a difference. The rest live in metro- or micropolitan communities with the vast majority in metro areas. The big cities are blue while the rural and most micro cities are red. The big cities pretty much run themselves. Most of what matters is local, so they don't waste much attention on the more rural parts. The Democrats are asleep at the wheel as they have the numbers, but they lost their statewide focus. The divide works both ways and they don't care what happen in East Jesus pr Podunque. The GOP is very much engaged in party infighting and clinging to power. They seem to enjoy sticking it to the cities. This situation, a benign ignorance and a spiteful impunity will probably not last many more election cycles. So, I wonder if a red state in this situation, and there are others, will remain as red or turn purple as time passes. This divide is not a healthy situation. But most all blue states, like mine, have very red counties. Maybe the safe haven for red partisans is on the county level.
Well in Florida, we have 67 counties. 62 of them went Red, including formally heavily Democrat ones. This is the shift I was talking about. Red voters moved in, making Florida deep red now.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:32 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Depends on if you are observing the real world, the politics world, or the news world. Do you realize many Dems don't like Biden? That doesn't scream consensus.
Yes, the most worrying thing about Trump was his cult of personality and the blind loyalty he demanded which cascaded down to his followers.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:34 PM

24,480 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Those things are not going to change in whacky states like that. It will only get worse. If you want to enjoy your life, your only choice is to move somewhere else where insanity has not fully taken over yet and then work with fellow like minded sane people to stop it from invading there.

That's the only choice left for two side who have absolutely zero left in common. When one side is so extreme that they feel killing children before they are born is a wonderful caring thing to do (yes, they said that the other day on CNN) or lopping off their genitals when they are just confused going through puberty is a great thing, there simply is no middle ground left.

This country will never be united again. Besides, the word "Unity" to Democrats means you cave to their demands. That is their unity, just like in any communist nation.

I think you are right.

I remember how poorly I was made to feel in the lead up to the 2016 election just because I liked Trump. I preferred him to Hilary and I made the mistake of saying so to some Dem friends and well we are not friends anymore by their choice. My wife and I have both lost friends and family because we dared not to get behind Hillary. I remember driving through town and seeing the campaign signs in yards and for some odd reason the Trump ones were being stolen and vandalized while the Hillary ones stayed upright. I remember hearing on the news how people in my area had been attacked in bars for wearing MAGA hats or assaulted on the street for holding a Trump sign. I remember rally's and standouts being held for Hillary that were glorious front page news but Trump ones were attacked. There was a property in a town nearby where the owner had put up a Trump sign on his garage that faced a playground and the Mom's petitioned the town for its removal because it was so offensive and dangerous for their children to see. Yes the TDS was and is very strong in my area.

The thing is the Left has No patience, no understanding and worse is they refuse to pivot. One they have decided to Hate there is no turning back for them.

It is odd how No one complained about their investments when Trump was in office and today they are very quiet about the devastation to them that Biden has caused.

The Dems will trash someone to the end but they seldom turn on each other which is actually one of their strengths. Trump exposed the swamp of DC. He showed us how entrenched the media is with the Dems and he showed us that they are willing to do anything to gain power. He also exposed the Reps as a bunch of soggy do littles that are more concerned about their cushy jobs than America.

It is just a shame that the Reps couldn't unite behind Trump and the Dems meet him at least half way on some of his policies but no they are just too nasty for that. It would have also been nice if Biden on day one actually thought about the ramifications of all those EO's he signed clearly out of spite for Trump because some of his policies were solid and could have been built on for our betterment but no they had to trash it all.

The Dems are a nasty bunch.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yes, the most worrying thing about Trump was his cult of personality and the blind loyalty he demanded which cascaded down to his followers.
Yes. Reminds me of Democrats with their sick cult following of Obama and basically anyone with a D today.

Always bad to put party over country, but that is the world we live in today.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:39 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
I know each side likes to say this that and the other, as they speak from emotion and always want to try to protect their side, but here is how things will work going forward and why.

The pandemic changed everything. How?

It provided the opportunity for people to re-evaluate their lives and for many, it allowed them to work remotely. What this has caused and will have effects going forward is it encouraged people to make life changes. Many independent people and especially right leaning people who once lived in bluesish states and no longer wanted to live in that type of environment decided to up and move out of that state and head south.

What is this creating?

It is segregating people into blue states and red states like never before. And where this makes a difference is in Congressional and Statewide seats. There will simply not be enough right leaning or Republican voters left in formerly blue or blueish states to capture what would have been Republicans seats in more moderate areas. We will see more and more blueish states having only Democrat governors. Where it really makes a national difference will be in Congress, as it will be harder to grab House and Senate seats each state has, when there are fewer right leaning people left in the state to vote. They will all go blue.

So what this means is plan on the "norm" being a Democrat President, a Democrat House and a Democrat Senate. Now there will be rare years where something happens and people are willing to vote for change, but the reality is Democrats will vote for absolutely anyone in their party regardless of who is better. It simply doesn't not matter. They will vote blue period. Republicans are not quite that bad, see anti-Trumpers, but they are not all that far behind.

So get used to Democrat rule. What cat you do?

Move to the best place your YOU and YOUR family. If you are a Democrat, live in a deep blue state. If you are a Republican, live in a deep red state. Find the place place for you, where LOCAL and STATE government policies are the best match for you. State and local policies in reality have much more effect on your life than do Federal.

From that point, the only real hope for two party government is for Republicans to pick very moderate Republican or even left leaning Republicans in blueish state district races, so as to try to once in a while get control of the House or Senate. The Senate should be the one of focus, as they are the ones in control of who gets on the SCOTUS, which has massive implications for all. Democrats want to push activists who want to totally abandon the constitution and Republicans will push constitutionalists.

Other than that, make peace with it. Life will go on. If you live in a great state, like I do in Florida, and live in a great part of that state, like I do in central Florida, life will still be fantastic. It's okay. Neither side will ever see eye to eye with each other. Unity is long dead. Move on. Forget about trying. Separate yourself from the other side.

LIVE YOUR LIFE!

I'm happy about the democrats becoming more and more insane.

Such behavior is accelerating the path for red state secession.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:43 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I'm not too worried. Life goes on, and every generation tends to pit young people's values against the old and promote sometimes significant societal change within even a person's lifetime.

I'm not convinced the democrats will plunge us into a totalitarian dictatorship. They will likely due to their excessive compassion try social policies that fail miserably and hopefully learn from their mistakes, but outright communism and tyranny? I bet it doesn't come to that.

Will there be a generational housing shortage? Perhaps, but people will adapt. Will the government become ever larger and overreaching? Probably. Will we lose our world power status? Likely. Bleep happens. Life goes on. Roll with the punches. Change what you can, accept what you can't.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'm not too worried. Life goes on, and every generation tends to pit young people's values against the old and promote sometimes significant societal change within even a person's lifetime.

I'm not convinced the democrats will plunge us into a totalitarian dictatorship. They will likely due to their excessive compassion try social policies that fail miserably and hopefully learn from their mistakes, but outright communism and tyranny? I bet it doesn't come to that.

Will there be a generational housing shortage? Perhaps, but people will adapt.
Well they are already using government agencies to go after their political opponents, so there's that.

They are already using television, movies, news outlets and social media to control information and spread government propaganda, so there's that too.

Slippery slope my friend. Slippery slope.

That's why I am thrilled I live where I live now, as protected from all of it as I can be. I should be able to live the rest of my life the way I choose too and not on the government's terms. It's just a matter of how much will my investments be worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies