Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 10:43 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Good choices.

I would vote for a Republican for President who I believed would be fiscally responsible.
Flat reduction across the board on all expenditures. Eliminate bunch of tax credits for the wealthy blahy blah blah.

honstly I thought Trump would do better with the budget. Sure he cut taxes but he didn't cut expenses. Smaller revenue, same expenditures...not good for the budget.

In the 70's we were moaning about the interst costs with the federal budget in my economics class...and it is getting worse.
Actually, Trump decreased some tax rates, but increased tax revenues coming into the Treasury. Trump tax cut was really a tax hike.

And, he signed off on Trillions more in deficit spending, which is here he lost me forever.

I'd vote for brain-dead Joe Biden in 2024 if I was guaranteed a 5% across-the-board cost reduction of every discretionary, and non-discretionary line item across the entire federal gov't, without any new departments or cost areas.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:44 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Young voter turnout stops the red wave and even millions more blue voters reaching voting age within 2 years
I don't understand why the recent elections (whose count still remains incomplete, with both sides neck-and-neck at last report) is being characterized as "Republicans failed this bad". According to the stats, they gave their opponent a serious run for their money. What am I missing from the picture?

Old 11-15-2022, 10:47 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I skimmed through the plan you linked and do not see anything concrete aside from blaming Biden. For example, how would they bring manufacturing back to the US.

So, your plan is to cut back on the number of voters--makes sense. The more people that vote the less likely R's win. And you end with recommending the R's commit fraud. Well, the R's are the party of corruption and no values now.
The "Commitment to America" plan was not my plan, its was the RNC's plan.

My plan would be MUCH more Conservative...it would slash ALL fed gov't spending 5% across the board...discretionary and non-discretionary.

Anyways, if you click on each area of the RNC's plan, you can drill down to more detail. I'm pretty sure their plan to cut inflation was to end wasteful gov't spending, & expand U.S. energy production.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:23 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Supposedly this is the results of the remaining seat at the moment -

All the red remaining seats except for one are at like FIFTY PERCENT reported right now. FIFTY PERCENT. It's literally a whole week after the election.

Elections are normally stolen for dems in the last 10% or so. And almost all after election day elections go dem.
Evidence?

Last edited by leastprime; 11-15-2022 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-15-2022, 12:55 PM

4,420 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The "Commitment to America" plan was not my plan, its was the RNC's plan.

My plan would be MUCH more Conservative...it would slash ALL fed gov't spending 5% across the board...discretionary and non-discretionary.

Anyways, if you click on each area of the RNC's plan, you can drill down to more detail. I'm pretty sure their plan to cut inflation was to end wasteful gov't spending, & expand U.S. energy production.
Would those cuts include the military and law enforcement?

Old 11-15-2022, 12:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
If Republicans failed this bad in 2022, imagine the landslide win Dems get in 2024. Repubs may never see power again

That statement may be true but never underestimate the Democrat's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of Victory. They have a tendency to fall asleep at the wheel. The "keep your eyes on the prize" approach conflicts with the "all politics is local" approach. They sometimes embrace the former while ignoring the latter.

That is what happened in 2016 and we can give them some blame for the Trump fiasco years and aftermath. The only reason Trump became president is because of the Electoral College. If Clinton had won -- with the winning popular vote -- she would have been faced with a Republican congress. The Democrats let that happen. The Democrats allowed the "blue wall" to be penetrated in the elections leading up to 2016.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:00 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Young voter turnout stops the red wave and even millions more blue voters reaching voting age within 2 years
I think the Dems have been saying this since 2008 (and maybe longer-of course they never thought Republicans would win the House again until 1994).

At some point, you need to figure out that you are being fed a false narrative.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:04 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
And BTW, the Republicans did win. They lost a seat in the Senate, but still won 20 of 35. They won 18 of the 36 governorships and hold a 2 seat advantage. And they won the House--and won the total congressional vote by 5% points after losing by 5 in 2020.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:09 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,210,635 times
TBH- I expect Dems to flip the House in 2024 and Rs have a very good shot at flipping the Senate.

If you look at the results, most voters went for the more moderate candidate. And there was a lot of ticket splitting. Dems would have won the Wi Senate race had they not picked a woke candidate and Rs losing every statewide race in Arizona is a testament to just what horrible people most of their candidates were.

It's actually slightly humorous that Dems had a great election in the Rust Belt and Mountain west and Rs were strong in NY and CA house races. The people in DC should start serving the people and not simply the political classes.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:49 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And BTW, the Republicans did win. They lost a seat in the Senate, but still won 20 of 35. They won 18 of the 36 governorships and hold a 2 seat advantage. And they won the House--and won the total congressional vote by 5% points after losing by 5 in 2020.
I guess it's how you define a win. And by the way how did they win 20 of 35 elections in the Senate when the seats were even going in and the Dems picked up a seat and probably another in Georgia? Or did I misread your post?

Most everyone thought there was a red wave coming. I'm sure you did too. Retaining the Senate, losing the House by a much smaller margin than anticipated, and winning half of the Governor's races are wins as well to most of us expecting a big night across the board for the GOP..

But of course the real win for Dems is how the American voters rejected throughout the country the candidates who continued to spew the Trump narrative, and how this could very well be the beginning of the end of Donald Trump on the political scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies