Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 11:52 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
While I'm not aware of the details behind this survey, it's interesting that only one of these ten states (Alaska) leans noticeably to the right in presidential elections. The state has a noticeable independent streak as they have rejected Trump-endorsed far right candidates like Sarah Palin for House, or Lisa Murkowski's opponent Kelly Tshibaka for Senate. More "standard" red states would likely be on board with sending such persons to Congress these days.
Alaska is different from most states. It has a attracted a different character than most states. From the fur trade to mineral extraction, to the military. Alaska isn't the same kind of conservative as Mississippi or Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 01:43 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That’s what I said. “ That’s what most everyone does when they vote”

Didn’t say the whole state of Florida.
“Gasp, how will Florida survive with not being popular with everyone, though I saw in your recent post that a city in Florida came up twice for best places for black families to live.”

I’m not skirting anything. So black people aren’t voting Republican in Florida. I don’t cry about or concern myself with the color of folks skin. Again, an area isn’t going to be popular with everyone…and nor is a political party.

Yep, it’s very refreshing being a red state and it is great to keep it that way, however, if folks want to vote Democrat they have that right. No surprise it seems that way to you, and as usual, no proof to your claim, just an allegation aka “.seems like”
The poster you are replying to never says why he and is fellow blacks don't vote Republican. I have suggested a couple of reasons why but he just ignores them. I guess the truth hurts.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
While I'm not aware of the details behind this survey, it's interesting that only one of these ten states (Alaska) leans noticeably to the right in presidential elections. The state has a noticeable independent streak as they have rejected Trump-endorsed far right candidates like Sarah Palin for House, or Lisa Murkowski's opponent Kelly Tshibaka for Senate. More "standard" red states would likely be on board with sending such persons to Congress these days.
2nd reply.

I remember when Denali was being renamed as such. It used to be called Mount McKinley. Denali in the Koyukon Athabaskan language means "the great one". This is fitting. Alaska Natives such as the Koyukon and Inuit make up a significant portion of Alaska's population. Denali is the highest mountain in North America.

Lisa Murkowski advocated the mountain to be renamed Denali. Her biggest detractors weren't even from Alaska, or had never been to Alaska. Some Ohio residents in particular felt insulted,, as William McKinley was from Ohio(he never went to Alaska). She was accused of pulling a political stunt.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Both. You can't just attribute it to one when both are factors.

In most states, the rural areas are conservative while the major cities are liberal. Now that Miami is conservative, that balance is gone.
In Oklahoma, that balance doesn't exist. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are both large cities in Oklahoma. Both cities are Republican. Trump won EVERY county in Oklahoma, including the urban ones. In fact, Republicans have won EVERY county (including Tulsa and Oklahoma, where Tulsa and OKC are located) in Oklahoma since 2004.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:06 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In Oklahoma, that balance doesn't exist. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are both large cities in Oklahoma. Both cities are Republican. Trump won EVERY county in Oklahoma, including the urban ones. In fact, Republicans have won EVERY county (including Tulsa and Oklahoma, where Tulsa and OKC are located) in Oklahoma since 2004.
There are actually signs that Oklahoma County may be changing. The county voted by nearly 17% for both McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012. This margin dropped to a little over 10% for Trump in 2016, and fell further to about 1% for Trump in 2020.

While Tulsa County is far redder, the Republican margin is narrowing there as well. In the long term these urban counties are diverging from rural areas of Oklahoma, which mirrors the patterns in most states (yes, even to some extent Florida despite the recent developments there).

Old 11-26-2022, 09:09 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The poster you are replying to never says why he and is fellow blacks don't vote Republican. I have suggested a couple of reasons why but he just ignores them. I guess the truth hurts.
Bingo

Old 11-26-2022, 09:34 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
There are actually signs that Oklahoma County may be changing. The county voted by nearly 17% for both McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012. This margin dropped to a little over 10% for Trump in 2016, and fell further to about 1% for Trump in 2020.

While Tulsa County is far redder, the Republican margin is narrowing there as well. In the long term these urban counties are diverging from rural areas of Oklahoma, which mirrors the patterns in most states (yes, even to some extent Florida despite the recent developments there).
I agree with this and in fact I think it is evident even Republicans in Oklahoma see this as evidenced by their approach to redistricting. The Democrats picked up the 5th Congressional district in 2018 which primarily encompassed large portions of the Oklahoma City metro area. Republicans won the district back in 2020 and it certainly was still a Republican leaning district, but it became obvious that the district was now somewhat competitive and was trending Democratic (Romney + 18.4, Trump + 13.4, Trump +5.7). Republicans in turned pushed the district into some more rural territory, shifting it about 13 points to the right and making it back to being a safe GOP district.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:37 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Too bad Oklahoma's weather is so bad, or I'd vacation there annually, just to be around like-minded people.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:40 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
I'm just thankful Florida is beoming so much more conservative...I don't need to know the precise reasons.

I hope it stays this way for the rest of my life. I don't want the destruction that Liberals, and their horrendous policies bring to everyplace they control.

I cant get far enough away from Lib controlled states, and cities....crapholes every one of them, filled with brainwashed people with emotional issues, & a deep rooted lack of self-reliance.

Old 11-26-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm just thankful Florida is beoming so much more conservative...I don't need to know the precise reasons.

I hope it stays this way for the rest of my life. I don't want the destruction that Liberals, and their horrendous policies bring to everyplace they control.

I cant get far enough away from Lib controlled states, and cities....crapholes every one of them, filled with brainwashed people with emotional issues, & a deep rooted lack of self-reliance.
The part of Florida you're in might be very conservative. However, this isn't a uniform pattern like in Oklahoma.

What are you going to do if Florida doesn't stay this way?

Something else. It matters the reason a place is conservative. Sarasota is very conservative. Why? Because of demographics. The Black population is decreasing and the region attracts conservatives. Leon and Alachua counties are among the most Democratic counties in Florida. Why? Florida State University and University of Florida are there. Leon County also has Florida A&M, an HBCU.

As long as people have freedom of movement, a place staying the same forever isn't a guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies