Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 12:56 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
See, this is exactly the way the GOP reacted following the report that they themselves commissioned in an effort to allow them to make inroads into these different populations where they just weren't connecting. They claimed, as you have just claimed, that they didn't need to do any of these things.

Hey, I'm cool if you guys continue to tell women they will have no autonomy under GOP rule, and immigrants that they are not welcome here, and the young voters that their issues are unimportant. I actually hope you guys continue on this path. It's working out well for the rest of us.
Wow. Such poor reading comprehension.

The report was commissioned in 2012.

In 2016, the Republican who WON the presidency spoke for millions of voters when he said, we welcome LEGAL immigrants. He went to the black churches and black cities and asked for their vote (and then improved their economic outlook more than any POTUS in history.)

This same Republican who became POTUS said that gay marriage was a settled issue.

He literally did all the things you are accusing the GOP of NOT doing.

Stop spreading misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 12:57 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The MAGA platform was terrific and we were all doing well with it. Trump the man was a bull in a China shop but his Pro America Policies were just what we needed. It is odd how the Dems railed against MAGA. What is so bad about Making America Great except for the fact that they are trying their best to tear it all down?

The MAGA people may be old fashioned in their thinking but it works as opposed to what the Dems are pitching. We should all remember the Golden Rule and practice it daily and there would be far fewer problems from the top down. We should all respect established law from the Border to the Streets. If you break the law you face the repercussions for doing so. If you take out a loan you pay it back. If you don't like something you work at fixing it, you do not have a license to obstruct society and destroy public and private property and if you do you will face repercussions.

Another thought is that this country should be run like a household. IF we do not have the money for something we do not buy that thing. Most of the Elites in DC couldn't run a Lemonade stand never mind a country where they are throwing around Billions and Trillions of dollars that we do not have.

It is all about taking Personal Responsibility and the Golden Rule. Those virtues are what we need most right now.
Well stated and I totally agree with you.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleLongHair0 View Post
I can tell you what I think MAGA means. Being deeply suspicious and destructive of government, while ironically being the government. Touting certain freedoms that they hold dear, like guns, while taking away other freedoms, like abortion rights and decent health care and retirement for non-wealthy people, which they don't hold dear. Open racism and distrust and persecution of anyone that is not white. Encourage corporations to profit from destroying the environment. Embrace social norms from 60 years ago and oppose or tear down any attempt to change them even while the rest of the world is doing so. If this is what makes America "great" then leave me out of it.

MAGA people may be surprised that Democrats agree with the principals of self-reliance, fiscal responsibility, keeping what we earn, obeying the law and applying the law to everyone equally. There are wealthy Democrat businesspeople who know how to run a business and make tough choices just like there are Republicans that do the same. There is far more common ground between fellow Americans than most people realize.
You couldn't be more wrong about what MAGA stands for.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:08 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Desantis is the future. Trump is a cancer.

GOP will lose 2024 is Trump is associated in any way.
Dump Trump.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:13 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
The cult of trump is an imaginary boogie man.

The only time it's brought up is by liberals. Like the q stuff, Alex jones, etc.

It's a liberal talking point.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:16 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Wow. Such poor reading comprehension.

The report was commissioned in 2012.

In 2016, the Republican who WON the presidency spoke for millions of voters when he said, we welcome LEGAL immigrants. He went to the black churches and black cities and asked for their vote (and then improved their economic outlook more than any POTUS in history.)

This same Republican who became POTUS said that gay marriage was a settled issue.

He literally did all the things you are accusing the GOP of NOT doing.

Stop spreading misinformation.
Trump was an anomaly. One election cycle that was out of the norm, and he barely eked out a win even then.

But here you guys are, battling against the same lack of connectedness that you were experiencing in 2012. You say gay marriage is "settled" but you said that about abortion, too. Pardon the electorate if they no longer believe anything you say.

Women certainly abandoned the GOP in 2022. Young people certainly abandoned the GOP in 2022. Those are two very large voting blocks that the GOP autopsy in 2012 warned the Republicans needed to court, yet the GOP virtually thumbed their noses at both groups. And here you are, still pretending it isn't even an issue.

But go on whistling past the graveyard and pretend you can win elections going forward while will telling women they should have no say in their own lives and young voters that their issues are stupid or unimportant. I am all for it.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting because I have exactly the same opinion of Republican voters.

There are definitely knee-jerk and/or single issue Democrat voters just as there are the same for Republicans. They vote pro choice or tax the rich or free health care/education or what have you. But most Democrat voters I know follow issues closely. This is why there are so many "fact checking" sites on liberal media and why the lies and distractions are so infuriating. It wasn't that long ago that political discussions were about actual data and numbers and policy, not whether or not your political opponent eats babies.

The GOP has been the best Democrat-get-out-the-vote-machine that you could imagine over the past 5-6 years. I know left-leaning people who couldn't be bothered with politics until they saw the outrageous things that Trump did and said, and January 6, and overturning Roe vs. Wade, and the racism. This gets the Democrats out to vote in droves. Put yourself in the shoes of a black person living in Georgia and surrounded by white people talking the way they do, and think about how easy it is to get those people mobilized to vote.
What outrageous things did Trump do in regards to policy? It is policy that will sink our country not personalty. Jan.6th only got out of hand by a few hundred the rest marched peacefully. So the voters held that against the entire Republican party who had nothing to do with it? I guess they quickly forgot the so-called "summer of love" where leftists burned, destroyed, looted and hurt innocent Americans and their businesses?

Roe vs Wade was not overturned it was given back to the states where it belonged! What racism are you speaking of? There are racists of both parties. Whites have been attacked by blacks to but it only matters when it's in reverse? What does that have to do with the entire Republican party and how one votes anyway? You're not making any sense here.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Well, it is now, since the supreme court made their change, but it never used to be, and shouldn't be.

Look at the list of countries where abortion is illegal and it isn't a very good group to be in with.

Andorra Haiti Malta Republic of the Congo
Aruba Honduras Mauritania San Marino
CuraƧao (territory) Iraq Nicaragua Senegal
Dominican Republic Jamaica Palau Sierra Leone
Laos Palestine Suriname Tonga
El Salvador
The Constitution shouldn't be followed?

Old 11-13-2022, 01:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1) Stop the election denial crap. Yes, things looked suspect, but we've spent millions on investigations and audits and come up with nothing. Move on and stop looking like spoiled children that are throwing a temper tantrum because we didn't get our way-leave that for the Dems. The American people don't want to hear this crap-without some proof or evidence.
This is how I know you're full of crap. Hillary and the Democrats have been denying results non-stop for 6 years now. 2020 were the dirtiest elections in my lifetime from every way you look at it. There were tons of improprieties and every effort to tighten then up is met with hysterical antics by the left. So guess what, if you don't point out the shenanigans they're just going to keep loosening all the rules until it's impossible to have a fair election and when that happens good luck with your freedom & liberty because it's all over

Old 11-13-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Trump got a big bipartisan infrastructure bill passed also. It's the sole reason my town is now getting a new interchange constructed. No, I don't care if people know the town I live in.

https://www.20thstinterchange.com/

I am fairly moderate yes, though I lean fiscally conservative... you always seem me bashing QE and MMTers, asset bubbles and overall excesses in our culture. It's hard picking candidates because both parties are so corrupt, and republicans are puritans who want to do their own form of telling people what to do with their bodies, while they preach being the "party of freedom" meanwhile these social policies continue to cost them dearly. That said, I could not vote democrat, for the same reasons people like Musk have already pointed out.

I agreed with you until you made the remark about the Republicans telling people (you mean women, don't you?) what they can do with their bodies. Women have every right to control their own bodies before engaging in sex. If they choose not to use protection from a pregnancy then it's on them and that shouldn't give them the right to kill their own unborn child because they were irresponsible.

I believe abortion is acceptable when the woman's health is in danger, it's not a viable life or she is the victim of rape or incest. Anything else, no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies