Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 10:58 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don’t really support beauty contests, especially for children but also generally, so I’m not against this decision. Use your brains, not boobs/looks, to get work and sell yourself
I have an idea -- all beautiful women should get plastic surgery to make them ugly. Beauty is an unfair advantage, and it's sexist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Is there something wrong with admiring beauty? And in the real world like it or not the pretty people do better. Tall Men do better than short one's and cute girls get to pick and choose who they go out with and get hired quicker. Go take a look at some studies and every human being knows this and understands it at an early age. Not many ugly stars in hollywood are there or on our T.V's. We all like to look at pretty people and imagine we are like them, that we can have them or be like them.

In an ideal World we would all be judged on our accomplishment and intelligence but that World doesn't exist and it is not human nature. People didnt watch Baywatch in massive numbers for the stunning intellectual conversations....
So unfair. And what about intelligence? Smart people have the real advantage in our society. How about brain surgery for everyone with an IQ over 100, to make them dumb?

Old 11-14-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No great loss. It would just be some ugly fat ass dude pretending to be a woman who wins it. All beauty pageants should be cancelled. The left doesn't want beauty in this world, and by God, what they want goes. Or else. They'll start stomping their little feet, burning down neighborhoods, and assaulting anyone who disagrees with them. Everything the left touches, turns to ****.
They are just following the example of Mao, who got rid of all the beautiful ancient traditional art forms. And everyone, male or female, wore grey pajamas and short hair. Let's be more like China.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't know. Those pictures of Ruskie soldier-ettes are right up there.

https://cdni.rbth.com/rbthmedia/imag...31fd6076f4.jpg
Probably certainly posed and while I have further beliefs on such, I will leave it there since such are not part of this thread.

As far as beauty pageants and one should be able to make it in this world on brains and not looks, that's all very well and fine.....but what happens when one can't do that, either because of the way the world perceives people or, GOD FORBID, the world has grown more stupid? Do TPTB then step in and shove it down people's throats?

Yes, no, I don't know. Sooner or later, there are limits to things and while laws were necessary for Civil Rights, it may not be so great across the board.

A thing I have noticed in the adult film industry are body piercings and massive body tattoos....and quite frankly, that just turns me off. But, I mean, should it? Does not their skill and the photography win out? Well, I suppose like "The Illustrated Man" eventually their art work tells more of a story than they do and one just tunes out.

And that's part of the point, a very big point, in the video world, one is telling a story and like the casting director says, "Darling, we love your work but you are just not what we are looking for.".

They say that photographers love dancers for they know how to pose their body. Do not the news media like models and pageant winners, for they can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in their eye? In today's world, who would keep one watching more, the skills and looks of, if he was still kicking, Hughes Rudd.....or the smile of Robin Meade?

Old 11-14-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Nothing objectively "wrong" with it. But, in my view, these kind of competitions send the wrong message. From where I stand--even if we aren't 100% there--people should be judged on their merit and not on their looks. "Knowing" that someone is beautiful is one thing. But, in my view, glorifying it as these pageants do is counterproductive to where we should be going as a society. Just my two cents.

Now, to your other points, I do acknowledge that beauty standards are very real in the entertainment world. But, at least in the case of a Baywatch or any other film/tv show, we are getting more than just a beautiful face (hopefully) prancing around in a thong. No, we (should be) are getting some serious acting, too. With beauty pageants, they are literally parading around someone simply on account of looks with very little else to add, IMO.
Let's get rid of competitive sports then. How is it fair that some people are genetically superior when it comes to athletics?

Old 11-14-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nothing wrong with being attractive. I'm not. But I do not begrudge those who are. Jealousy is one of the most destructive of all traits. Given the opportunity, you leftists would smash the Sistine Chapel to rubble because you cannot paint as pretty a picture as Michelangelo did. Your justification would be that "we shouldn't judge a building on its beauty." You want an ugly, warped, constant gray and meaningless world.
Yes. Leftism is essentially based in envy. One of the deadly sins.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I've never watched or attended a beauty pageant. Meh. I see a lot of stereotypes about the left not appreciating beauty. Normal classical liberals of course appreciate beauty. It's the woke that would tear everything down because they see the past as evidence of their supposed oppression or whatever the latest thing they decide to be offended by. The problem is the left goes in lock-step with their woke base these days.
Leftism is a mental illness. It should be added to the DSM.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:31 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The Miss Israel beauty contest will not be held this year, ending a run of annual competitions that started in 1950. As a result, Israel will not be sending a contestant to the international Miss Universe contest to be held January in the US.

In recent years the pageant has faced criticism for judging women on their physical appearance.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/miss-i...than-70-years/
They need to send a tranny if they want to win.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:00 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Let's get rid of competitive sports then. How is it fair that some people are genetically superior when it comes to athletics?
Some people are genetically superior when it comes to athletics, but being genetically superior simply doesn't cut it. No, you still have to train, workout, etc. Also, competitive athletics is open to more than just the generically "superior," but rather to anyone. It's much more inclusive than beauty pageants are.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:02 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have an idea -- all beautiful women should get plastic surgery to make them ugly. Beauty is an unfair advantage, and it's sexist.
No need to alter yourself. All I call for is people being judged on account of what's in their head than what they look like.

Take things to a natural extension, and people start to apply beauty standards based on race and other silly factors. And those have real-world impacts outside of beauty pageants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies