Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 07:44 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

I am not opposed to some form of legal status for illegals who (other than illegal status) have obeyed laws and been productive members of society. But I don't buy the excuse that it's needed because we have too few workers. That is a right wing talking point, it was the original excuse for Reagan's initial amnesty of farm workers. Mass illegal immigration is bad for the working class, today's worker shortage has created the best job / wage market for entry level workers in 50 years. It also guts developing nations of their most productive citizens, making it much harder to improve local situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 07:54 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm not watching any video. You tell me what jobs Americans won't do for a fair and liveable wage. I'll wait.
At any rate it's against the law to hire illegal aliens. As I said, if the employers are claiming they can't find Americans or legal immigrants to do whatever jobs you are talking about then they need to close their businesses. We certainly don't need foreigners coming here to flip burgers or for leaf blowing, etc. whose social and living costs we will have to cover along with putting added stress on housing, healthcare, schools, etc.
I definitely agree with this, although those aren't the only jobs they are taking. I definitely want the borders closed, and the illegals out. I disagree with you on the rest though.

"By some accounts, there are nearly half a million1 more jobs available in the skilled trades than workers with the skills to fill those roles, and that number is expected to rise to two million within a decade.
In short, there aren’t enough young people entering the trades to replace the aging Baby Boomers leaving the workforce. For every one person that enters the trades, five retire.
"

https://www.ishn.com/articles/110888...ades-positions

Old 11-18-2022, 08:11 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I definitely agree with this, although those aren't the only jobs they are taking. I definitely want the borders closed, and the illegals out. I disagree with you on the rest though.

"By some accounts, there are nearly half a million1 more jobs available in the skilled trades than workers with the skills to fill those roles, and that number is expected to rise to two million within a decade.
In short, there aren’t enough young people entering the trades to replace the aging Baby Boomers leaving the workforce. For every one person that enters the trades, five retire.
"

https://www.ishn.com/articles/110888...ades-positions
I think it's liberal BS but if they are skilled jobs that pay a liveable wage then by all means create visas for skilled, legal workers to come here and take but within limits. There are far too many businesses of the same caliber in our country. We are just saturated with them. There lays the problem.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:34 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well, I wouldn’t say broken. We just have different priorities. I look around history and my own mental health treatment and I deal with humans as humans. But borders are arbitrary constructs we humans put up. They shift constantly. So, humans are my overriding priority and country comes second in that calculus. Also by mining history, I’ve come to the conclusion that America as we know it IS all immigration, so this really just continues the history of our founding, the history of our accession to where we are now, and as an apex country will continue to sustain us as birth rates fall.

Illegal immigration will continue to flow until people realize that both of the major, old parties are a sham and get funded to keep the tap open in some way. Your best hope is to burn the Demicans and Republicrats to a crisp and build new parties from scratch. Conversely we could try to address the “push” issues causing people to leave for here in the first place, but as a non-intervention advocate, that’s less than desirable.
It sounds like you're saying that Americans aren't humans.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:41 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It sounds like you're saying that Americans aren't humans.
Probably considers them less human than these illegal invaders and bogus asylum seekers.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:44 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Cryin' Chuck cares about one thing -- votes. He doesn't seem to care about all of those that waited patiently to gain citizenship through legal channels or vetting anyone for criminal records. The hell with that. Just give 'em all a voters card.

It's not any different than demented Biden promising to forgive student loans. He made a promise that would get him votes, even though he knew it would get shot down in the end.

Typical moves of two political whores.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think it's liberal BS but if they are skilled jobs that pay a liveable wage then by all means create visas for skilled, legal workers to come here and take but within limits. There are far too many businesses of the same caliber in our country. We are just saturated with them. There lays the problem.

So when you read the article and hear so and so from 'x' trade comment on how they can't find people ...you think the liberal makes it up --- or that the guy giving the quote is a liberal and making it up>?

Trying to figure out how you come to that conclusion.

If you search online you can find millions of different types of media reporting on employee shortages across multiple income levels, types of industry, etc. You think they are all made up by liberals?

These shortages have been in the news for years.

In my community they have been moaning about shortage of food and beverage and hospitality people since 2014. It is even worse now.

But you think it is made up>?

Because you don't like that it implies we have a shortage of people for the jobs we have?

Old 11-18-2022, 11:07 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So when you read the article and hear so and so from 'x' trade comment on how they can't find people ...you think the liberal makes it up --- or that the guy giving the quote is a liberal and making it up>?

Trying to figure out how you come to that conclusion.

If you search online you can find millions of different types of media reporting on employee shortages across multiple income levels, types of industry, etc. You think they are all made up by liberals?

These shortages have been in the news for years.

In my community they have been moaning about shortage of food and beverage and hospitality people since 2014. It is even worse now.

But you think it is made up>?

Because you don't like that it implies we have a shortage of people for the jobs we have?
I think that poster feels that because those professions can't find people, they aren't paying enough.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I think that poster feels that because those professions can't find people, they aren't paying enough.
Oh -- so it is liberal bs. that there are employee shortages......it isn't that. It is companies don't want to pay their workers.

How does that explain how wages have gone up so much in the last year. Sure --- not enough to combat inflation....and they won't because as wages are increased more and more those increased add to infltion.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:16 AM

1,345 posts, read 473,845 times
Yeah this nonsense was tried back in 1986 and it's only ballooned into a catastrophe since then. If the rhetoric about technology and automation holds any tangible merit then these illegal migrants' utility loses its place here and the only reason we'd have authorising their continued habitation is politics and idiocy.

Also, we know darn well that the '11 million' is an outdated figure from sixteen years ago. It's probably more like 30 million now if we discount the children who have the benefit of exploiting an absurd loophole that was likely not foreseen would become such a point of contention and vulnerability for this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies