Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:13 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
we have the ability to make deals. if Trump was president, i am pretty sure she would be home by now. the charges against her are ridiculous. they are making an example of her just like what North Korea did to Otto Warmbeer
No one forced her to play basketball in Russia as they were amassing troop on Ukraine's border.

You are welcome to fly to Moscow to fight for her case.

Otto broke the law too. He was on video trying to steal something. From North Korea.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:19 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
we have the ability to make deals. if Trump was president, i am pretty sure she would be home by now. the charges against her are ridiculous. they are making an example of her just like what North Korea did to Otto Warmbeer
She made her bed... and I think Trump would have left her there. Nobody is using her as an example for anything. If you did what she did, YOU'D be in the Russian system and nobody would care, either.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
totally ridiculous that America couldn’t come through for her. the result of an uncaring and incompetent administration
Cant find the article but Russia wanted the US to end Ukraine support because they wanted to talk about that first and Griner was much further down the list.

Seriously people DO NOT GO TO RUSSIA.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:39 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/wnba-...-region-report

What a shame.

At least Miss Griner will have nine years to contemplate the question of which country is better: the USA or Russia. During that time, she won't be subjected to hearing the US national anthem, which was something she opposed. Hopefully she has a change of heart on that one.
Regardless of her reasons not to like somethings in our government- it’s detestable to allow Russia have their way with one of ours and some applaud that.
Prison will probably ruin her mental and physical state and maybe her career over 4 paper clips worth of weed.
It saddens me that if I were her, I know other Americans side with the Russians.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:42 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Cant find the article but Russia wanted the US to end Ukraine support because they wanted to talk about that first and Griner was much further down the list.

Seriously people DO NOT GO TO RUSSIA.
Don’t go to Russia and stop siding with them in any capacity. They are the enemy. I do wish the Gov would expose just how much to the public.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:46 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I wonder if Brittney realizes that if Trump were President instead of Joe Biden, she wouldn't be rotting away in a Russian gulag for the next nine years. I doubt it.
He had five months to get Otto out, all in one piece. He didn't!

Old 11-18-2022, 06:50 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,760,274 times
As a gesture of goodwill they need to let this girl out and never allow her back in again. This sentence is way over the top.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:59 AM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Americans tend to be naive and arrogant when it comes to other countries/cultures. Young people tend to be naive and arrogant in general. And professional athletes raise the arrogance ante even further. As such, Griner is a afflicted with a double dose of naivety and a triple shot of arrogance, the result of which is stunningly poor decision making. I think her punishment is far too harsh and, because she is an American and sort of famous, she's being made an example of. If there is any upside to this, perhaps her situation will inspire others to think really hard before doing mind-numbingly dumb things like bringing drugs into a country with which the US has a strained relationship.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:05 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Was she a star player on her team in Russia? If so, I’m surprised the team owner didn’t pull strings. The hockey teams are owned by very ruthless guys. The stories told by Canadian and American players playing there are just crazy. One was a ref was making bad calls, the owner walked down to ice and said he was going to murder him, his wife, kids, grandparents if he continued his bad calls….the ref didn’t make one bad call after. Players didn’t know where to deposit team checks, sometimes teams would pay them in locker room before practice, then they’d practice and come back and checks were taken back. Who you gonna complain to and live after? This is the KHL….not some bottom rung league.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:10 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
As a gesture of goodwill they need to let this girl out and never allow her back in again. This sentence is way over the top.
Why would a country that hates us even more for Ukraine ever even think of doing this? Why don’t we just give back Russians we have locked up here as a gesture of goodwill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies