Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2022, 08:53 AM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My goodness. Next to your fears we are surrounded by billions of years.

Enjoy the day.
Those aren't my fears....I was just repeating what our President told us.

As for myself, I do not believe that any person or Government can play "God" and change the planet/weather/climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Then why not introduce a temporary windfall tax in order to subsidise energy costs and cap energy prices.

The Scandinavians, even use wood to power biomass power stations as well as waste products from it's forestry industry such as black liquor.

The US has vast forests itself and could easily do the same.

Finland: a global leader in forest-based biomass for energy - Bioenergy International

Bioenergy from Finnish forests: Sustainable, efficient, modern use of wood -IRENA

The US a country with vast natural energy resources and very wealthy energy companies that are currently enjoying vast profits due to the global market place in energy, should not have ordinary citizens sitting in homes that they are unable to heat properly.
Inflation is giving them profits.

And to do what you say goes against the global plan to "save the planet" by putting us all on wind/solar.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:59 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Speaking of giving away money. Texas petroleum producers flare enough gases to supply every house in Texas, year round. It is cheaper and easier to burn it up than to build pipelines and sell it.
ah you seem to miss the point that they are a business whose purpose is to make money. If they charged enough to pay for the cost to build the pipelines you would be here complaining about that cost. The Government's purpose is primarily to support it's people and that is we the people of the US NOT the people of another Nation or Nations. Worked for FPL for years in Florida and every time a storm would come people would yell at FPL for not burying all the lines land when told it would have to double rates for 20 years to pay for it just complained that no the company should do it anyway without raising rates. A business must make money a Government just takes it. Big difference.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
If the US reduces carbon by 50%, what is the estimated change in global temperatyres? Will that amount "save the planet".
It's not the US. It's the entire world...via the Paris Climate Treaty that all countries signed.
50% reduction by 2030 and 100% reduction by 2050.

Trump removed the US from it but Biden put us back in when he got into office.
People who voted for Biden should have known this.

https://www.instituteforenergyresear...ate-agreement/

Former President Trump withdrew the United States officially from the Paris Climate Agreement on November 4, 2020, having claimed in 2017 it would cost the country $3 trillion in GDP and 6.5 million jobs. On his first day in office, President Biden signed an executive order to rejoin the agreement, in line with his campaign pledge to make the nation carbon-neutral by 2050 irrespective of cost.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:03 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I was being sarcastic. I was making a parody of the type of tone deaf statements politicians make. Anybody that owns a home must be well off. Just be thankful you aren't homeless sort of thing. Eat chef Boy ardee buy generic Raisin Bran, get a Tesla etc. it is your fault you are cold.
Sorry to take you literally...my bad. lets be thankful that those who voted for this, are now paying through the nose for it. I feel bad for the rest though.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Sorry to take you literally...my bad. lets be thankful that those who voted for this, are now paying through the nose for it. I feel bad for the rest though.
I think many people just voted D without knowing what the campaign promises were.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:09 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
So would you rather cope with that or 100 degrees? Almost all cold countries are more developed and hot places not so much. Live is easy if you aren't about to freeze to death. Oh and for people and frozen pipes. You should be able to drain your system.
I didn’t think I needed to because I didn’t think we’d have a whole week of such low temperatures. It was completely unprecedented in my lifetime. I also never lost power so I was lucky. I just forgot about the pipe next to my breezeway. Live and learn I guess.

I’ll take 100 degree days over that kind of cold any day. Though I believe people in really cold places are far more prepared for that kind of weather. Their homes are designed to withstand it more. They have more winter clothes than we do along the Gulf Coast. (My folks in Amarillo are much more prepared for your weather than mine). I’m assuming the pipes are more insulated there. But overall I’d far prefer heat to cold, even though July and August can be pretty miserable. At least I enjoy the many options we have for cooling off.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:10 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Joe Biden is crapping on his constituents, & instead favoring people all around the world instead....how does that feel Maine?
Bad call out. Out of all of the New England states, Mainers are the most self sufficient. I'd put them up against any state in this union for hardiness and self sufficiency.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am in TX,the year where URI hits us,my 9 feet long copper pipe above the garage bursted
Copper is better than galvanized but damn I wish I had the Pex (and a newer home with better energy ratings). Oh well.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:17 AM

4,949 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
EIA projects heating a home with natural gas will cost an extra 25% this winter
Yet we produce enough here in the U.S. to not be needing any imports.
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...nd-exports.php
So if we're exporting more than we need, and importing none; we're creating our own supply shortage.
Of note, much of this gas isn't sent to Europe, but as per link: Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies