Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2022, 04:57 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
So would you rather cope with that or 100 degrees? Almost all cold countries are more developed and hot places not so much. Live is easy if you aren't about to freeze to death. Oh and for people and frozen pipes. You should be able to drain your system.
You say that, but wouldn’t development be a hurdle for people in colder countries if life is so hard for them.

The reality is a lot of the impacts from climate change related to desertification are disproportionately effecting countries that are warmer and closer to the equator. I will need specifics countries or continents that you’re referring to when you make these broad claims.

I don’t think you have ever labored out in the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 05:19 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
You say that, but wouldn’t development be a hurdle for people in colder countries if life is so hard for them.

The reality is a lot of the impacts from climate change related to desertification are disproportionately effecting countries that are warmer and closer to the equator. I will need specifics countries or continents that you’re referring to when you make these broad claims.

I don’t think you have ever labored out in the heat.
I sure have in the heat pete. Try low to mid and upper 90's with dews over 75f for months at a time. When we are in a west blow bro on the gulf where i live i have lows around 78f to 84f and dews over 81f sometimes.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:25 PM

17,605 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
On the one hand, you're right. But Texans have 12 months to pay their bill. It's the same here in NC - high electricity bill in the summer and high natural gas bill in the winter. But, still, 12 months to pay the costs to heat and cool.

In the northeast you pay that all at once - your oil tank isn't getting filled unless its paid for. The average house has a 275 gallon tank, and heating oil (in MA, anyway) is averaging $5.78/gallon. A 73% increase in cost from last year. I feel for those with low income or people on a fixed income.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ma...g-fuels-prices
I feel for the conservatives who voted for sane energy policy. As for the people in the NE who voted for Biden, which is most of them, I hope they end up paying 10 times that.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:30 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I feel for the conservatives who voted for sane energy policy. As for the people in the NE who voted for Biden, which is most of them, I hope they end up paying 10 times that.
They'll continue to be mindless. A few years back on one of husband's pipeline projects (laying a natural gas line to convert a power plant from coal to gas), the local's were throwing fit after fit. They were told they could stop it easily if they just turned off their heat, their lights, etc., and went back to heating and cooling with fireplaces. They stared off into space like a deer in the headlights during the meetings like that was just too hard to comprehend........

Old 11-20-2022, 06:23 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Regarding the above bolded....drillers are also stopped at that phase as well..."waiting on EPA permits".

Gee..is this bottleneck on purpose or "just a coincidence" ????
Should we still be blaming companies and people or turn our questions to our very own government ?????
How can it possibly be a Coincidence? We see it over, and over and over —- again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Show me the links where they say they are waiting on EPA permits.
Google is your friend - look it up. You know what to put in the search because I gave it out.
I don’t expect to convince any Leftists about what’s going on.
You either want to know OR you prefer to stick head in the sand.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:39 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
As former prez Becky Obama warned us, "Erections have consequences."

And yes, sadly, it was an erection that resulted in Joe Biden's mom getting pregnant. Shame she didn't believe in abortion.

The reality is the majority of the NE votes Monolith(D)©, so they are going to have to enjoy their misery. As one poster said earlier, the issue is the heating bill is paid upfront, in the hundreds of gallons. Heating oil is expensive right now, because we have a pocket of stupidity in the Oval Office, and stupidity SHOULD be expensive.

Will some people die from the cold/inability to pay? I certainly expect that to happen. There's 6 feet of snow in Buffalo and we are only at the midway point of November.

Will this change the way people in the Northeast vote? Pretty unlikely, because liberals often times lack the critical thinking skills for situations like this.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:45 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
My heats on in central Florida today. Mean, cold, wet, nasty day.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:51 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What is typical, for heating bills for the entire winter in the northeast? In this article, the woman expected 1K in heating costs to take her through the majority of the winter, which I guess was much more than typical.

I actually would have thought heating a home in the northeast for a winter would be more than 1K.

It seems somewhat likely she doesn't have air conditioning costs, and so 1K per year is what she expects to pay for climate control in her home?

That's considerably less than Texans pay for climate control in their homes per year.
I have two heat pumps with electric strip backup, and my electric bill averages about $200/month (most of that is heating or cooling, but I have electric everything). Summers are hot here and winters are pretty cold (but not Northeast or Midwest cold), and my house is very well insulated - probably build better than most houses in the northeast. So yeah, I'd agree that $1K sounds low.

I'd have gas but it wasn't available in my area when we built our house.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:57 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Are new houses being built in the Northeast that use fuel oil and radiators? I'd think not, but when an outsider thinks of New England I suppose they think of houses like those on "This Old House".

When I was growing up, my elementary school had hot water radiators. I doubt they were fired by fuel oil though. Our house had a central floor furnace that was gas, and it heated the house well.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:03 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A CNN story believe it or not. Where is "global warming" when you need it?

‘It’s like living in an igloo.’ People are turning off their heat as prices surge

As the first frigid weather of autumn chills the Northeast, many people are faced with a tough decision: deal with the surging costs of heating their homes or live without it.

Home heating prices are skyrocketing yet again this winter, up 18% nationwide on top of last year’s 17% spike, according to the National Energy Assistance Directors Association (NEADA).

EIA projects heating a home with natural gas will cost an extra 25% this winter, and heating with electric will run 11% higher. The steepest hike will be on heating oil, which is expected to be 45% more expensive than last winter, squeezing roughly 5 million households, mostly in the Northeast.
I'd normally feel sorry for them, but I don't because this is what they voted for.

They deserve to get what they vote for good and hard.

I remember in another thread I stated this was going to happen, but the blind leftist sheeple said it wouldn't.

All I can say is "I TOLD YOU SO"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies