Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 12:22 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
For all those who say those of us up in the NE deserve this - you're wrong - Trump won the majority of counties in NY in 2020
No one deserves "this". :rollleyes:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 12:23 PM

43,090 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Just highlighting how a democracy is doomed to fail. We are living proof.
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

Ben Franklin or Alexander Fraser Tytler

Old 11-21-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No one deserves "this". :rollleyes:
I would say the elites that got us into this mess deserve this but they aren't suffering one bit because....they are the elites.

We are "taxpayers" and "consumers"....our job is to keep government and business loaded with money

Old 11-21-2022, 12:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,604,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Don't worry. Democrats are working their hardest to make us just like Ukraine.
No worries for me. Really bad though for people that can’t adapt to high energy costs, high inflation, and high taxes under this administration.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:28 PM

Don't forget that people were very upset that Trump removed the US from the Paris Agreement.
So they voted Biden in who put us back into the Paris Agreement.

What did you all think would happen ? How does one reduce their energy by 50% in 7 years without drastic measures ?

From 2017....
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/trump-r...aris-agreement
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/few-a...b075bff0f48035

Old 11-21-2022, 03:22 PM

984 posts, read 442,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What is typical, for heating bills for the entire winter in the northeast? In this article, the woman expected 1K in heating costs to take her through the majority of the winter, which I guess was much more than typical.

I actually would have thought heating a home in the northeast for a winter would be more than 1K.

It seems somewhat likely she doesn't have air conditioning costs, and so 1K per year is what she expects to pay for climate control in her home?

That's considerably less than Texans pay for climate control in their homes per year.
When we lived up north, our gas heating bills were between $300 and $400 per month in the winter. Meaning from November through March. Then less (but still a couple hundred) in October and April. This was 15-20 years ago, though, so I imagine prices have gotten higher since then. We also had natural gas, which was expensive, and our house was older and kind of drafty.

Now I live in Florida and this is the time of year we get some relief as far as energy expenditure goes!

Old 11-21-2022, 04:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I was referring to Minnesota actually gets as hot as Texas at times. My final thoughts is heat takes more energy to produce and is easier over all to cope with than cold. Look how y'all did down there in Texas when it got mildly cold... i have liv3d in both extremes so it isn't like you can just Texsplain it to me. I have lived in hotter places.
Of course it gets hot in Minnessota. But does it get over 100 degrees hot for 79 days in a row, with the big respite being only mid-90s for the next 2 months? Without bothering to look it up, I'll suggest NO, it doesn't.

Lots of folks hating on the keepers of the electrical grid in Texas, and I was miffed as welll because I was still there... but it was ceratinly atypical weather.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:21 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Of course it gets hot in Minnessota. But does it get over 100 degrees hot for 79 days in a row, with the big respite being only mid-90s for the next 2 months? Without bothering to look it up, I'll suggest NO, it doesn't.

Lots of folks hating on the keepers of the electrical grid in Texas, and I was miffed as welll because I was still there... but it was ceratinly atypical weather.
Being 114 degrees is atypical but we deal wit(it better than if you guys go below 32. That's my point is the heat is less of a drain economically than severe cold. One poster sugge#ted if it is 100 degrees you stay cooler being inside. Well if it is -59 you stay alive y staying inside. Keeping a place 70 degrees when it is 100 degrees outside is easier than keeping a place warm when it is 0 degrees. In the case of Minnesota we are built to cope with both.

I did live in Laos which would make Texas blush when it comes to sustained heat. I also did so for ten years with no air con. So the point is heat is survivable even if you do nothing extreme cold isn't. You seem to just confirm what I say as it was a big deal for you guys being unprepared for the cold.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:01 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
LOL,
Seems to me that many want market intervention
yhmv

Old 11-21-2022, 06:43 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
As we approach Thanksgiving, I always reread the journals of the Mayflower pilgrims, and then the westward ho conestoga wagons. We come from very hardy stock.

As a child in upstate New York, we were snowed in for a week or so with no power, well below freezing, and we made do by cuddling in beds in shared long johns. In Feb. 2021, in Central Texas we all were below freezing and many of us with no power and we made do.

Can we please reclaim our hardy tough brave ancestry? During the freeze in Texas I was reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's truthful story, and felt grateful for the comforts that we had even in the freeze.
That "hardy stock" we came from typically died before the age of 40.

We are one of the top 10 wealthiest nations in the world. There is absolutely no reason for us to "make do" when it comes to comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies