Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 06:07 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
High prices will force people not to use energy and that will get us to our goal of 50% reduction by 2030.

Did people think we'd save the planet without hardship ?
My goodness. Next to your fears we are surrounded by billions of years.

Enjoy the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 06:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Typical fireplaces in the living room will NOT heat a 2000 square foot home.
A wood burning stove will but many don't have that.
Then why not introduce a temporary windfall tax in order to subsidise energy costs and cap energy prices.

The Scandinavians, even use wood to power biomass power stations as well as waste products from it's forestry industry such as black liquor.

The US has vast forests itself and could easily do the same.

Finland: a global leader in forest-based biomass for energy - Bioenergy International

Bioenergy from Finnish forests: Sustainable, efficient, modern use of wood -IRENA

The US a country with vast natural energy resources and very wealthy energy companies that are currently enjoying vast profits due to the global market place in energy, should not have ordinary citizens sitting in homes that they are unable to heat properly.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-20-2022 at 06:24 AM..

Old 11-20-2022, 06:19 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
I have a wood stove, across the room above it is a heat pump mini split, and I have a ventless infrared propane heater. I have a small house with high ceilings. I pay around $150 a month total in electricity and get the wood for free. About $80 of the electric bill is heating. When the wood stove is fired up I use the heat pump just as a fan to blow the hot air down. For those days that are not too cold I use just the heat pump.

I keep my place at 70-75 degrees all the time, except summer where I keep it just under 70. So I am happy with the price I pay because I am not skimping.

I looked at the price of beef and decided to skip steak for thanksgiving, I use a mini split, Joe's plan is working. Lol although I am sure they would pry the wood stove out of my house if they could. If they make energy too expensive I will just poach trees off of government land. In WV that happens sometimes and nobody is going f to really bother a man trying to keep his kids warm. So long as you aren't too blatant about it.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:27 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
I don't live in the northeast but it has been colder than a well-digger's arse where I'm at this week. Our gas prices have gone up too so I made my house smaller by keeping all the doors closed and am playing musical chairs with an electric space heater.
I bring it with me to whatever room I'm going to be in. I worry more about pipes bursting so I keep it in basement under the pipes most of the time.
I keep it in my room when I sleep at night, have to put on jacket to go to the bathroom.
I can see my breath right now. I'm looking forward to cooking some tater tots later, I'll get to stand by the toaster oven. It sucks being born poor and excruciatingly cheap.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yep! Current household temp is 64 degrees. I turned the heat off last night before bed.
How does that compare, to my summer temp July - early September of 78 - 80 degrees?

It compares completely.

If you're in the south and want to save money you live uncomfortably hot.

In the north if you want to save money you live uncomfortably coolly.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
I don’t see how people do it. I would cut back on other things before cutting back on heat.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:42 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yep! Current household temp is 64 degrees. I turned the heat off last night before bed.
Always turn it down that far at night. And run the ceiling fan. I swear I should have been a polar bear. I used to work outside all winter and only wore an insulated shirt and cotton gloves.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:45 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How does that compare, to my summer temp July - early September of 78 - 80 degrees?

It compares completely.

It's not quite the same, when it is hot you can go outside especially if there is a breeze. My house is 75 right now and outside it is 25. This isn't even one of our colder days of the year and that's a 50 degree difference in temps. When it does get cold that can be almost 100 degrees. You don't get that sort of a difference in the heat.

You aren't likely to die from the heat unless you are really old. The cold will kill you no matter your age. That's the difference. Being uncomfortable or staying alive.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:46 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,094 times
Quote:
High prices will force people not to use energy and that will get us to our goal of 50% reduction by 2030.

Did people think we'd save the planet without hardship ?
If the US reduces carbon by 50%, what is the estimated change in global temperatyres? Will that amount "save the planet".

Old 11-20-2022, 06:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

It compares completely.

Well said.

Leaving Texas and going north after 40 years, I'll just say it's a helluva lot easier to 'get warm' in a cooler house than it is to 'cool down' in a hot house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies