Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 05:32 AM

8,797 posts, read 6,067,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What would this type of system be called? Minarchism?

Just a thought experiment.. not saying I think we should do this or it's even practical or sustainable..

Imagine what we have in America currently but strip away almost all of the government services. No welfare, no public roads, no public schools, no public transportation, etc. All of the money saved in stripping away all but the absolute barest minimum of government services gets pooled together to provide a universal basic income for everyone. So everyone gets a fixed stipend from the government each month whether you make $0/mo, $1000/mo, $1 million/mo, etc. And instead of the government collecting taxes and providing services being paid from that tax revenue, it just sends everyone that check and asks them to buy whatever services they want out on the open market.
Just want to preface this by saying I’m as close as you can get to an anarchist without actually being one. Just picture that on the authoritarian/liberty scale. I take a voluntaryist type of view on most things.

I have no problem with not funding schools. It is basically daycare for single parents and two-income households. It doesn’t need to be on such a massive scale and be run by a govt; there are other ways to solve that problem.

No problem with no public transit but I’m in a rural area that doesn’t have it and I’m not sure how that would work in bigger cities that cannot accommodate cars.

I believe we should have social safety nets but I would prefer it to come from people who want to help, e.g., churches. If we did not have the various welfare programs, a lot would change. It might actually be the end of private insurance and bring back some common sense to healthcare.

I live in a neighborhood with private roads. They are limerock and we moved in when the roads were in really bad shape. We have a property owners association and we pay like $250/yr to contribute to road maintenance. They put down loads of rock, grade it, and roll it. One neighbor has a tractor with a grader blade and a smaller roller and he works on the roads. They are pretty good now, but dusty, and delivery trucks fly down the road and create dust clouds and generally are the ones creating pot holes. They’ve been putting down rock twice a year to keep it built up so heavy rains don’t wash it away.

The last part of the road leading to the paved road is owned and maintained by the county. It is crap! Their “gradings” consist of bringing out the grader and scraping dirt from the shoulder and spreading that out. Lolz that road is always washboarded and full of ruts. People in our neighborhood want to turn over our roads to the county which will never happen for legal reasons but why would they want more of that?? They’re not going to come in and lay asphalt and we will be assessed on our taxes for it to the tune of…about $250/yr.

All that to say, roads have got to be maintained in whatever form they exist. Some are better than others. Who will maintain the asphalt and other materials?

I would be fine with getting rid of libraries and parks bc the private sector and volunteers can and do those things even now.

I do not want a universal income. You say the money for the above would just cover it but that will only last so long unless you maintain the current tax structure which goes far beyond income taxes but nickels and dimes us everywhere we turn.

There is no good solution for any of it. We dug ourselves a giant hole that we can never get out of except through bankruptcy and massive restructuring of laws from the top down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 06:47 AM

8,004 posts, read 3,346,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right on cue, every few months, another push for UBI.

Almost like they want people to want it.

Otherwise why keep asking about it? It's been discussed to death.
It's about control. They are deliberately making everything cost more and costing people jobs. They are making people more and more desperate. When people get desperate enough, they will cave and be easier to control. If the only money available can be cut off with the push of a button then people will be too scared to put up a fight.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:48 AM

4,061 posts, read 4,103,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nor entitled to live where you were born. Of course in CA you can but you'll be living in a tent if you are lucky.
Then don’t live there. Democrats say they “welcome” everyone but their policies do exactly opposite of that. Take housing for example. Housing is very expensive in many area but if a business purpose to build multi-units houses, they will object and deny the request.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:20 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,849,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It's about control. They are deliberately making everything cost more and costing people jobs. They are making people more and more desperate. When people get desperate enough, they will cave and be easier to control. If the only money available can be cut off with the push of a button then people will be too scared to put up a fight.
Oh, I get the system.

I just find it hilarious and suspish that like clockwork, every 4-5 months, a post asking if people want UBI is trotted out.

Clockwork. For data collection? Polling purposes? Brainwashing?

Suspish.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:21 AM

18,399 posts, read 7,000,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
The big difference is Everybody would get it. OF course the problem is that only a few would be paying for it and it ignores the fact that we have many working age people living on the street just checking out on drugs or whatever. And that problem would likely get worse. I have met many people and i am sure we all have who would love nothing more then spend their days in casual entertainment, drugs or just vegging out then working and would be willing to live ten to a house just to do so. Our economy would grind to a alt and when all those non working people realize the UBI is not enough the cries will go out across the land give them more, and more and more. Until even people working, and paying for the UBI , will say enough ill stop working too and be just like them and stay home.

Lol......once you try to seriously implement it, there would be cries to make it "equitable".

.....some folks getting more than others and rich people getting none at all.

There goes the "universal" part out the window.

Welfare by any other name is still welfare.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:28 AM

16,752 posts, read 8,113,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What would this type of system be called? Minarchism?

Just a thought experiment.. not saying I think we should do this or it's even practical or sustainable..

Imagine what we have in America currently but strip away almost all of the government services. No welfare, no public roads, no public schools, no public transportation, etc. All of the money saved in stripping away all but the absolute barest minimum of government services gets pooled together to provide a universal basic income for everyone. So everyone gets a fixed stipend from the government each month whether you make $0/mo, $1000/mo, $1 million/mo, etc. And instead of the government collecting taxes and providing services being paid from that tax revenue, it just sends everyone that check and asks them to buy whatever services they want out on the open market.
No need for work. No need for growth. No need for creative ideas.

There would be no open market. It would stifle innovation.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:38 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 14 days ago)

14,487 posts, read 9,552,542 times
I believe universal income for universal work. So what does that mean and will it work?

Bring back conscription, it worked for many. Earn and learn. No... not just for the military, but for various government services. Imagine all the branches of government that need bodies all the time. Isn't that ... teaching a man to fish? rather than giving a fish?

I'd support that.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:38 AM

8,004 posts, read 3,346,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Oh, I get the system.

I just find it hilarious and suspish that like clockwork, every 4-5 months, a post asking if people want UBI is trotted out.

Clockwork. For data collection? Polling purposes? Brainwashing?

Suspish.
Brainwashing. Planting seeds in peoples' minds. Breaking people down a little bit at a time.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:40 AM

8,584 posts, read 9,057,141 times
If everyone received $1000 a month, in short order a toothbrush would cost $1000. Everyone would be chasing their tail. A black market would develop that would be more reliable using a different currency.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:44 AM

984 posts, read 433,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I believe universal income for universal work. So what does that mean and will it work?

Bring back conscription, it worked for many. Earn and learn. No... not just for the military, but for various government services. Imagine all the branches of government that need bodies all the time. Isn't that ... teaching a man to fish? rather than giving a fish?

I'd support that.
So basically, do what Cuba does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies