Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 05:34 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It never has been "stabilized." For those who think that earth's climate has been static since its formation... you are NOT following the science at all.
It seems to me that Earth's climate is highly stable on a geologic time scale. Temperatures and weather stay within a pretty narrow band in and between ice ages. It could be far more dramatic, if not for Earth's natural buffer systems preventing runaway temperature extremes, but instead letting the pendulum swing back.

To humans, it seems like a dramatic difference in temperatures, but geologically, I think temps and climate has been pretty stable for the 3.8 billions of years since rainfall began, filling the oceans. Before that, all water was in vapor form over a searing hot earth surface. I mean, the last billion years or two have been pretty stable, anyway. I think.

God did a super job designing the Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 06:05 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It never has been "stabilized." For those who think that earth's climate has been static since its formation... you are NOT following the science at all.
Stabilized is a relative term. Over the past million years, global temperatures have fluctuated up and down in a cyclical fashion. It's not random. That periodicity implies a stability of sorts and is evidence for a feedback mechanism.

CO2 up > temp up > glaciers melt >vegetation up >CO2 down >temp down > glaciers grow >vegetation down> repeat

Old 11-22-2022, 06:11 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It seems to me that Earth's climate is highly stable on a geologic time scale. Temperatures and weather stay within a pretty narrow band in and between ice ages. It could be far more dramatic, if not for Earth's natural buffer systems preventing runaway temperature extremes, but instead letting the pendulum swing back.

To humans, it seems like a dramatic difference in temperatures, but geologically, I think temps and climate has been pretty stable for the 3.8 billions of years since rainfall began, filling the oceans. Before that, all water was in vapor form over a searing hot earth surface. I mean, the last billion years or two have been pretty stable, anyway. I think.

God did a super job designing the Earth.
I agree with the above, as I stated in my previous post.

Except for that last part. Equilibria, feedback loops and evolution are common themes that run through nature. It's a consequence of the laws of nature; no fine-tuning designer required. And yes, man has the capacity to upset nature's balance - at least temporarily, until nature gets her revenge.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:38 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
As is mentioned, "stable" is a relative term. But I can show you historical evidence that it fluctuates rather wildly from our perspective.

Why did the Norse settle Greenland?

Answer: because they could at the time as the climate was able to sustain their particular form of agriculture and animal husbandry in those centuries.

Why did the Norse disappear from Greenland?

Answer: while there is a discussion to be made about friction and rivalry between them and the encroaching "natives" of the region, it is probable that it was mostly due to the changing climate of the time--meaning they could no longer sustain themselves in the region due to long-term adverse weather pattern changes (climate). So they moved on. There is geological and historical evidence to back this idea up.

Also... how far south did the glaciers exist during the "ice age" in the early years of man? Why are those glaciers no longer with us? Could it be due to a changing climate?

Old 11-22-2022, 09:21 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
That is why the study specifically provides the context as the "Geologic Time Scale" -- the billions of years earth that is thought to have existed.

Geologic Time Scale

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/geology/time-scale.htm

It would be like us discussion time, clocks, the hours in a day, work shifts, how long you sleep and then some IT guy says, "but what about nanoseconds." A nanosecond is useless to measure anything in normal course of your 24-hour day. It would be ridiculously short, even to measure a blink or a hiccup.

Manonseconds have no meaning to normal people going about their day. Similarly, an ice age is nothing on the Geologic Time Scale. So we are not talking about mere millenia here, but much climate over much longer periods of time.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:13 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
There has been warming and cooling periods for millions of years. The Sphynx in Egypt has erosion due to water. Many giant scars in the earth are due to ice/water. There is nothing we can do about it. We are but a blink in time.
The generation of greenhouse gases have no impact on the atmosphere, CO2 now approaching 500 ppM doesn't cause warming. An increase of almost 2 deg F is due to some physical phenomenon but not AGW?

Old 11-23-2022, 03:49 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,518 times
Planet Earth has not been studied enough, e.g. Pacific Ocean. El Nino and Al Nino have been discovered recently! Both have a tremendous impact on the weather in America.
Who knows, how many negative feedbacks are there. Without these feedbacks life could not exist here. Thanks to the Lord they are in place.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:12 PM

2,044 posts, read 856,525 times
We were put here by an advanced intelligent life form. Genetically engineered and our DNA and genome altered throughout the ages. If you don’t believe that, you are not following the science. Because the evidence is there. And it’s increasing more and more each day. Also, there may have been a period dating back approximately 11,000 years going back to 100,000 years when humans may have been very advanced on this earth before it was pummeled by a massive comet storm Making life almost unsurvivable on this planet and humans resorted back to Hunter gathers. Also a lot of emerging evidence of this as well. We have been close minded idiots when it comes to analyzing our origins, beginnings and journey. But the hardline scientific community is finally starting to crack here and there and they are indeed starting to entertain other theories.

The same goes for the earth and climate change. Factors we simply do not fully understand what we are causing and what is normal at this point. I do believe we are having some affect but I believe it is dramatize like everything else is these days.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:58 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
We were put here by an advanced intelligent life form. Genetically engineered and our DNA and genome altered throughout the ages. If you don’t believe that, you are not following the science. Because the evidence is there. And it’s increasing more and more each day. Also, there may have been a period dating back approximately 11,000 years going back to 100,000 years when humans may have been very advanced on this earth before it was pummeled by a massive comet storm Making life almost unsurvivable on this planet and humans resorted back to Hunter gathers. Also a lot of emerging evidence of this as well. We have been close minded idiots when it comes to analyzing our origins, beginnings and journey. But the hardline scientific community is finally starting to crack here and there and they are indeed starting to entertain other theories.

The same goes for the earth and climate change. Factors we simply do not fully understand what we are causing and what is normal at this point. I do believe we are having some affect but I believe it is dramatize like everything else is these days.
How is this not a trap?

Ok, I'll take one for the team ... Show the science.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:03 PM

720 posts, read 705,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
and talk about a case of extreme hubris when mankind thinks that we can alter it.

Humans are a plague on the planet and when we reach the tipping point there will be an extinction event where some will survive to rebuild but Billions will die. It will be terrible but guess what, the Earth will still be here and it will flourish.
Hmmm. I bet you were indoctrinated... I mean taught in a government run educational system, right? ... I thought so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies