Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 03:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Just like Christmas, thanksgiving day has lost all meaning.
Most just believe it is a day for turkey and football, and a time for families to gather.
I do not give any significance to thanksgiving day, because everyday is thanksgiving day to me.

I thank my Lord each and every day for the love and blessings I enjoy in this life.
Meanwhile all the hypocrites sit down one day of the year, say their thankyou's, and return to their daily lives of forgetting just how important giving thanks each and every day actually is.

Tomorrow they get back to doing all the things they usually do, without one thought of where their blessings come from.
Why do most only use one day out of the year to celebrate, and give thanks?
What is wrong with using the other 364 days to give thanks?
Who says that people who enjoy Thanksgiving aren't grateful for their blessings the other 364? You've made a really negative assumption that it's a binary world of turkey-feasting gravy-gobbling hypocrite hogs vs the ascetic Buddhist monks, pure of heart and untainted by the merest spec of green bean casserole.

Like an Acapulco cliff diver I drop from a great height with a smooth triple backflip into a boat of giblet turkey gravy in the center of the Thanksgiving table. Four days and twelve meals of leftovers later after the tryptophan haze has broken I go back to my usual M.O. of being thankful for things on a daily basis. There is not a single day that passes that I don't look out of my office window and feel fortunate that I get to make a living with my brain, inside in the air conditioning instead of breaking my a$$ doing truly hard blue collar work like auto mechanics or house moving. Because I've done it both ways and I've never forgotten the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 08:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Kind of a judgmental superiority complex you've got going there.

What makes you so sure many other people are hypocrites and aren't thankful in their daily lives just like you?

The people who have no gratitude all year probably don't have any on Thanksgiving, either. I think people are either inclined to be grateful for life's blessings, or they aren't. And maybe it's something that some learn at different points in their journeys.
I have to agree with this as there are a lot of assumptions going on in that first post.

How does the OP know whether or not people say their 'thanks' to the Lord on a daily basis, but quietly, in their mind, not loudly so that everyone can hear them?

Here's the history of 'Thanksgiving' by the way:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Thanksgiving-Day

It didn't start out the way it is today, but it was campaigned for by "Sarah Josepha Hale...to promote unity".

It's not just a reminder to say 'thanks' for what you have, it's a great excuse to take time off and go be with your family or friends in a world that is now not as small as it used to be, and people are spread out all over the place.

I have gratitude for every day that I have. I am grateful for a lot of things, but I don't tell them to anyone, because that conversation is not between me and the world. It's a private conversation.

Don't assume to know what people think about on any given day. I assure you, however, that people are grateful for many things throughout the entire year.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:53 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Just like Christmas, thanksgiving day has lost all meaning.
Most just believe it is a day for turkey and football, and a time for families to gather.
I do not give any significance to thanksgiving day, because everyday is thanksgiving day to me.

I thank my Lord each and every day for the love and blessings I enjoy in this life.
Meanwhile all the hypocrites sit down one day of the year, say their thankyou's, and return to their daily lives of forgetting just how important giving thanks each and every day actually is.

Tomorrow they get back to doing all the things they usually do, without one thought of where their blessings come from.
Why do most only use one day out of the year to celebrate, and give thanks?
What is wrong with using the other 364 days to give thanks?
Strange rant.

I give thanks on a lot more days than Thanksgiving. I still enjoy celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday.

I enjoy the 4th of July. It doesn't stop me from being Patriotic the rest of the year.

I respect Veteran's Day. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate all who serve in the military the rest of the year.

I celebrate Easter. It doesn't mean that Jesus Christ is not my Lord and Savior the rest of the year.

I disagree with the OP that we can't celebrate Thanksgiving Day if we routinlely thank the Lord the rest of the year.

I do agree with the OP that our holidays are overly commercialized and perverted them into modern Baccanalian parties.

Beyond that, Thanksgiving Day is a day when schools and government are closed as well as many businesses, which provides a day a year for the entire extended family to get together if they so choose, since most do not have to work so their calendar is clear to get together.

Thanksgiving Day is formally structured. It provides a set opportunity for people to visit one another who, without that formal opportunity, might absent-mindedly go years without visiting. Formalizing a day of Thanks is helpful for many of us.

Old 11-26-2022, 01:36 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
It's fun to have novelty and different activities from time to time and that's what holidays are all about. Enjoying family and having a good time. I'm not going to be some negative Nelly about it. Let people have their fun.

Traditions are important. They give us a sense of cultural solidarity and unity. As far as being commercialized you should take a look at some magazines from the 1930s they were as commercialized as ever. The Roaring 1920s was all about trying to sell people things. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Old 11-26-2022, 01:40 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
At the very least, it’s a holiday off work, at the most it’s time you can spend with some family.

OP, feel free to work on holidays if you want.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:14 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Make a Joyful Noise unto the Lord All ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness come before his presence with singing.
Enter his gates with Thanksgiving and into his courts with praise ,be thankful unto him and bless his name for the Lord is good his Mercy is Everlasting and his truth endureth to all generations.
100 Psalm.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:11 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLzwCnFbzGQ

Old 11-26-2022, 08:28 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
At the very least, it’s a holiday off work, at the most it’s time you can spend with some family.

OP, feel free to work on holidays if you want.
Bob (CALGUY) is like 83-years-old or around there, I'm almost positive he doesn't work anymore!

Old 11-26-2022, 08:56 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Bob (CALGUY) is like 83-years-old or around there, I'm almost positive he doesn't work anymore!
Then it's pathetic that he got to be that age and has such a sour and ugly outlook toward his fellow man. Or maybe he simply enjoys cultivating the grumpy old man schtick. Not very original, but hey, it seems to be a goal for some!

Old 11-26-2022, 11:46 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Actually, I am still actively engaged in my property management business, and still enjoy being a hands on exec.
As long as the good Lord allows me these blessings, I will continue as such.
Matter of fact, I spent a wonderful afternoon (well, a couple of hours) roller skating with friends at a local park on thanksgiving day.
The lord has blessed me in many ways, one of which is being physically fit, and able to roller skate a few times a week, and soon to be 84, that is indeed a blessing.
Oh, one more thing I did a couple of days ago, and have always done in the past, I crawled under both my Corvette, and pickup truck, and changed oil and filter on both.
I can certainly afford to pay some young guy to do that, but I enjoy doing these things.

Now, I am not against a day for giving thanks to the almighty, but am against those(and I am sure there are many) who make this the only time they give thanks, and ignore the efforts of the good Lord the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies