Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 04:09 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The government did not care. The government is addicted to control as a fetish, public be damned.

Parents who were sufficiently motivated did set up "learning pods", see PODS, or Parent Organized Discovery Sites Upending Public Education in Age of COVID and The Kindergarten Exodus; Blue State Lockdowns Worsen Gap Between Poor and Well-to-Do. Other than that education basically got slaughtered by the Covidiots. The conspirators in slaughtering education did not want to be shown up by DIY'ers. DIY is what made this country great. Think Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville.
History attests to that. All governments get like that after a while...power, control and money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 04:35 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Economic collapse similar to the Great Depression would send too many over the edge at this point.
Or it might make them get off their phones and realize that they didn’t really have such unimaginable difficulties after all. Maybe when the social pressure goes away because they have real problems, some of the sickness that accompanies it might go away.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
They are being coddled too much and worse they are all being taught that they are some kind of victim possibly born into the wrong gender or they will become a victim due to some outside force such as Climate change, Racism or Donald Trump Republicans and there is nothing they can do about it.
Meh. I grew up doing duck-and-cover drills in the school hallway or under my desk, with the Fallout Shelter sign at the front door. The beaches at the end of my street were covered with brown foam from the paper mill a few blocks away. My extended family (not my parents; if they had any prejudices, they never let me see them) were as racist as they come.

I educated myself and contributed what little I could to protest armed conflict and nuclear weapons proliferation, learned how I could contribute to improving the air, water, and litter pollution, learned about people who were different other than myself, made sure I was registered to vote as soon as I could. Why are you so sure kids today don't think they can do anything about the local, regional, national, and global problems they face?

Old 11-27-2022, 06:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I want to add something. And when those kids start having problems or engage in maladaptive behaviors, we sit them in front of incompetent shrinks, who pretend to be their friend while secretly helping everyone but them. The ones who grill them about "feelings" (sometimes even not believing them if it's an unexpected answer) and feed them trite platitudes, while blatantly withholding advice that could save those kids' lives.
...and those incompetent shrinks convince the parents that the kid needs drugs shoved down their throats for their "anxiety" and "hyperactivity".

Old 11-27-2022, 07:06 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,182,525 times
Quote:
Got one word....isolation
Yes I was thinking that too but then I think how the hell does a 5 year old even know what death is or suicide for that matter? at their age all the cartoon characters bounce back up after being shot or smashed.

I'm think too maybe throwing out the family pet they came to love and have fun with during the pandemic is making the depressed or thinking Mommy and Daddy could make me go away too. I have no doubt that is in their head and to afraid to say it. Even if told they wouldn't make them go away the kid is not going to believe that. Those feelings are real and never go away.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:22 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
...and those incompetent shrinks convince the parents that the kid needs drugs shoved down their throats for their "anxiety" and "hyperactivity".
Most, if not all, shrinks are against medications of any kind. It cuts into their income. They'd rather have a kid coming to them for many months on end, while wasting his/her time and doing nothing to actually help him/her, rather than a kid who benefits from a medication in a matter of weeks.

You're thinking of psychiatrists and pharmacists. I still think medical pill-pushing is a lesser of two evils, compared to months of time- and money-wasting "feelings talk". My own therapist in the past has a big problem with me for that belief.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:43 AM

3,121 posts, read 1,010,081 times
A good psychotherapist works closely with the patient's psychiatrist. They communicate to each other regarding the patient's health. They know when the medication needs to be adjusted and other details.

Sometimes one needs both, the pill and to talk to a psychotherapist for a certain period of time.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:18 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
The government shut down the schools with no advance warning to parents.
None of them had any time to plan any type of alternatives.

2 working adults....they cannot just up and quit and not know when they can go back to work.

Sorry..the government totally messed that up and the onus lays on their feet.
I guess it depends on where one lives and which government. Nobody stopped me, I did.

Like the old saying .... happens. We have to deal with it. These plagues come around every 100 years or so. Maybe this time we should take notes so those 100 years from now will know what worked and what didn't.

I have seen photos of mask wearing people the last time it happened.

The local government is us. It is our friends, neighbors and cousins. They did the best they could within the perimeters they had to del with. To call it some sinister plot is a reach.

I may not like some decisions, but sinister? No.

And IMO, we need to fine tune our listening skills and reading comprehension. And those making the calls need to be very specific. Cloth masks? That can be anything from gauze to canvas cloth.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 PM

257 posts, read 165,979 times
Express Scripts, a mail-order pharmacy, recently reported that prescriptions of antidepressants for teenagers rose 38 percent from 2015 to 2019, compared with 12 percent for adults.

This Teen Was Prescribed 10 Psychiatric Drugs. She’s Not Alone.

Increasingly, anxious and depressed teens are using multiple, powerful psychiatric drugs, many of them untested in adolescents or for use in tandem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/27/h...ric-drugs.html

The United States Food and Drug Administration issued a Black Box warning in October 2004 after placebo-controlled trials of antidepressant medications found an increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors among children and adolescents taking antidepressant medications relative to placebo.

Old 11-28-2022, 04:28 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Express Scripts, a mail-order pharmacy, recently reported that prescriptions of antidepressants for teenagers rose 38 percent from 2015 to 2019, compared with 12 percent for adults.

This Teen Was Prescribed 10 Psychiatric Drugs. She’s Not Alone.

Increasingly, anxious and depressed teens are using multiple, powerful psychiatric drugs, many of them untested in adolescents or for use in tandem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/27/h...ric-drugs.html

The United States Food and Drug Administration issued a Black Box warning in October 2004 after placebo-controlled trials of antidepressant medications found an increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors among children and adolescents taking antidepressant medications relative to placebo.
Lifestyle is status quo, therefore pills are the only option...

When will people realize that environment is often a problem, and treating brain/biology malfunction is not as simple as a list of pills? Oh yeah, money and thus a disincentive to solve problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies