Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 04:50 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times

Advertisements

who are all these weird new usernames?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 04:57 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, we need to have a permanent year around time not switching at all. It should be based on what saves us the most in energy costs and other variables. It shouldn't be based on public opinion or preference.
I'm not convinced that either of the time strategies saves energy/money. Your house is going to have the same heating or cooling load regardless of the time of day we observe.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:03 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
You're right about kids not walking to school anymore. Not only do their parents drive them there but walk them up to the front gate. I think a little paranoia is at play here plus kids being coddled so much these days. I understand the dangers these days but this is a little over the top, IMO.
When I was in third grade, and on through sixth, I walked to school about a mile every day. I'd not let my child do that now - too dangerous and too many kooks out there. Maybe a little over the top, but it's not just paranoia. I'd also not let my teenager work at McDonald's or a similar place.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:08 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
No, we need to have a permanent year around time not switching at all. It should be based on what saves us the most in energy costs and other variables. It shouldn't be based on public opinion or preference.
Time zones should be based on an evenly divided set of 24 such zones for the entire world, and the times (relative to each other) should remain the same all year long. If it's noon in Greenwich, England (GMT), it should be 7:00 a.m. in New York (EST, GMT-5:00) and 4:00 a.m. in Los Angeles (PST, GMT-8:00) -- no matter what time of year it is.

Incidentally, I do find it interesting that the little, tiny Midway Islands get their own time zone (MIT, GMT-11:00). Just goes to show how empty that part of the world is.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:11 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,599,790 times
Quote:
Year around DST was tried a few decades ago and it was not popular. So why would we try the same thing again?
When will they try year round Standard Time?

Old 11-27-2022, 06:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Seems like that article isn't stating that they oppose DST as a year around time just that switching the time twice a year is what is hazardous to our health.
Here's an article where they oppose permanent daylight saving time and give reasons why.

Permanent Daylight Saving Time will hurt our health, experts say

Quote:
Dr. Phyllis Zee, director of the Center for Circadian and Sleep Medicine at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Evanston, Illinois, also opposes Daylight Saving Time.

“Between March and November your body gets less morning light and more evening light, which can throw off your circadian rhythm,” she said.

Standard time, which we enter when we move our clocks back in the fall, is much closer to the sun’s day and night cycle, Zee said. This cycle has set our circadian rhythm, or body clock, for centuries.

That internal timer controls not just when you sleep, but also when you want to eat, exercise or work, as well as “your blood pressure, your heart rate and your cortisol rhythm,” Zee added.

A call to ban Daylight Saving Time for good has come from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine: “Current evidence best supports the adoption of year-round standard time, which aligns best with human circadian biology and provides distinct benefits for public health and safety.”

The proposal has been endorsed by more than 20 medical, scientific, and civic organizations, including the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, the National Parent Teacher Association, the National Safety Council, the Society for Research on Biological Rhythms and the World Sleep Society.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:42 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Signs of Autumn:
Leaves change color to red or gold,
The temperature cools, Mornings are crisp.
There is a smell of wood smoke in the air.
Halloween, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving
Football games.
Grandpa smells like mothballs.
People whining about daylight savings time.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:44 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When will they try year round Standard Time?

I hope so soon but I don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:45 PM

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm not convinced that either of the time strategies saves energy/money. Your house is going to have the same heating or cooling load regardless of the time of day we observe.
It comes down to whether you'd rather have it dark in winter when you get up for work or when you go home from work. There is no consensus on that, and apparently nobody wants to meet in the middle, so we stick with what we have and change our clocks twice a year. Annoying, yes, but not the end of the world.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:48 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Here in the southwest if the sun would go down 1 hour earlier in the summer on Standard Time it would indeed save on our air conditioning bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies