Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2022, 05:37 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are you calling 40% of the country who did not get a COVID vaccine a fringe movement?
More like 20%.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:43 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No you don't understand at all. It was shorthand for sexual and reproductive autonomy.

Pro-choice women have never concerned themselves with the fringe movement of anti-vaxxers. Your belief that they should is bizarre. Why would a minority faction of the population think latching onto a movement that supports the majority viewpoint of women and men on abortion was a good idea?

As for abortion, of course only one person makes the decision. The other is not a person and can't make a decision.

This isn't a left or right issue. Plenty or pro-choice women who are right or independent.
And the other "person" is not even considered - even though it is half his.

I would say that since 100% of people go through the same process in the womb - it's safe to say that the being conceived by a man and a woman is a human being.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:44 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I was fine with Roe/Casey which basically sets that at viability. I doubt there will ever be a specific week that everyone would agree on.

That being said, I don't believe the far right is capable of any reasonable compromise, so I will be voting for politicians that support removing it from the restrictions of the state altogether and leaving it between a woman and her doctor. As well as those who will support federal legislation to do the same.

Even when Republicans propose something they call compromise, it can't be trusted. For example, the Graham/Rubio bill purporting to allow abortion to 15 weeks. But, then when you read the fine print, no exceptions for rape/incest/fetal anomaly and allowing states with shorter restrictions like 6 week heart beat laws to keep them.
Can you understand when 75% of people don't believe the "pro choice" movement is capable of any reasonable compromise? I mean, I personally do, but it's not the political message ever used.

75% = 100% minus everybody that's not "no restrictions at all whatsoever!" (approx 18%) and everybody that's "life begins at conception!" (approx 7%)

Old 11-27-2022, 05:45 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Can you understand when 75% of people don't believe the "pro choice" movement is capable of any reasonable compromise? I mean, I personally do, but it's not the political message ever used.

75% = 100% minus everybody that's not "no restrictions at all whatsoever!" (approx 18%) and everybody that's "life begins at conception!" (approx 7%)
Is that your experience talking to pro choice people?

Old 11-27-2022, 05:45 PM

also, just as a question of curiosity/clarity ... why do we always include "incest" when "rape" would take care of an innocent child (cannot consent) having any kind of sex with an adult - relative or not?

Old 11-27-2022, 05:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Viability of a healthy baby.
"Healthy" born babies are no more "viable" without full care and sustenance then those during gestation...they just take a bit longer to die.
Well...unless you you rip them apart or chemically immolate them like is done during abortion...then they die just as fast.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:47 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
I appreciate the answer. So, you're also saying somewhere between 20-24 weeks, currently as a "generic" response.

Because the issue also becomes ... who decides viability? An assembled panel of neonatal docs in each metro? A single panel for the country who decides for the women who are making a purely personal choice?

I do wonder - I'm sure you still haven't read the article I linked about each state's current legal status - why don't more "pro-choice advocates" simply say "it should be the woman's choice until viability"?

this is where both "sides" - really the 'extremes' - get it wrong. You can come at it from the "right" - that life begins at conception and protection begins at that moment. You can come at it from the "left" - that the woman's bodily autonomy is sacrosanct.

But neither of these positions satisfies the ~75% of folks who fall into the middle.
Quote:
although I suppose we should delve into "healthy". That sounds like "birth defects that will affect them for their life", but I don't want to assume that's what you meant.
Yes I read the link when you posted it.

Each pregnancy is individual and I would say it a decision a woman and her doctor should make based on her medical situation.

No one with any compassion wants healthy babies at viability aborted for no reason. It is a misnomer that women in mass abort late term healthy babies.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is that your experience talking to pro choice people?
that's my experience watching the advertisements for 3 months and what the politicians all proclaim. And the protestors.

IOW, the "noise makers".

Again, the "pro choice" crowd decried FL having a 15 week limit. As I said very early - NC has a law of 20 weeks, a mere week to 3 (and well beyond knowing you're pregnant and choosing unilaterally), that is decried by the left in NC, including the Attorney General who has refused to "defend" the law.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
also, just as a question of curiosity/clarity ... why do we always include "incest" when "rape" would take care of an innocent child (cannot consent) having any kind of sex with an adult - relative or not?
I do believe in abortion for rape and incest victims. I however do wonder the mind set of why pro life folks are ok aborting these pregnancy but not those from consensual sex. I also ask and it’s mostly ignored why it’s ok to allow the millions of lives kept in the deep freezer at fertility clinics for decades or the thousands that they dispose of every month if life begins at conception?

Old 11-27-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I do believe in abortion for rape and incest victims. I however do wonder the mind set of why pro life folks are ok aborting these pregnancy but not those from consensual sex. I also ask and it’s mostly ignored why it’s ok to allow the millions of lives kept in the deep freezer at fertility clinics for decades or the thousands that they dispose of every month if life begins at conception?
I think you missed the inquiry.

When is it rape, and when is it not rape but incest?

And why, if a woman has autonomy, would we add a classification for a consensual sexual act with a different time limit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies