Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2022, 06:01 AM

19,033 posts, read 16,843,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Except that came out before it was constantly being shoved down our throats. People are over it at this point. People who normally would not have cared are being annoyed by it. But moreover, the particular storyline sounds pretty boring even if they were straight. I have no idea who the target audience is. I don’t see it going over well.
Then I guess they won't count on your attendance which is your choice, movies about people losing loved ones to cancer do get old. But like all the other movies that a theater carries people will make their own decision which one they will like to see.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:13 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,214,719 times
Can someone explain to me what "a gay film is"? I get that the main characters are gay but does that make it "a gay film?". I saw someone else was upset because Disney uses heroines in their stories and that put men in supporting roles which the poster found offensive. Is putting anyone besides a white male in the starring role suddenly make the story about however they differ from what a hero is supposed to look like? I believe everyone should be the hero of their own personal story. I can celebrate that with movies.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:52 AM

8,797 posts, read 6,068,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Can someone explain to me what "a gay film is"? I get that the main characters are gay but does that make it "a gay film?". I saw someone else was upset because Disney uses heroines in their stories and that put men in supporting roles which the poster found offensive. Is putting anyone besides a white male in the starring role suddenly make the story about however they differ from what a hero is supposed to look like? I believe everyone should be the hero of their own personal story. I can celebrate that with movies.
I’m guessing the issue was actually that they were taking characters that are male and created to be male and giving them to females and feminizing the characters to be “inclusive.” The issue is not with female leads, nor does it have anything to do with race.

A gay film is a story with gay main characters and their issues. I’m not sure why that’s confusing to define.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,638,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

No, being homophobic is so 2015...
No, feeling free to voice your opinion is so 2015....and the prior eternity.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 400,766 times
Quote:
Except that came out before it was constantly being shoved down our throats. People are over it at this point. People who normally would not have cared are being annoyed by it.
For some people that might seem like an exaggeration, maybe for many. Previously I'd be inclined to agree with them. But the ads I'm seeing on television lately are starting to ring true to your statement.

The latest one shows two men kissing each other on the lips. And it's more than just a peck. The commercials that show two men cuddling together on a couch while they're watching a movie or something didn't bother me, but the kissing is a bit much. Especially for network television.

If I remember right they are ads for treatments to keep symptoms of HIV suppressed, something like that. If you haven't seen them yet you probably will before long unless you rarely watch television.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:20 AM

8,797 posts, read 6,068,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
For some people that might seem like an exaggeration, maybe for many. Previously I'd be inclined to agree with them. But the ads I'm seeing on television lately are starting to ring true to your statement.

The latest one shows two men kissing each other on the lips. And it's more than just a peck. The commercials that show two men cuddling together on a couch while they're watching a moving or something didn't bother me, but the kissing is a bit much. Especially for network television.

If I remember right they are ads for treatments to keep symptoms of HIV suppressed, something like that. If you haven't seen them yet you probably will before long unless you rarely watch television.
I’ve seen them. And the ones where they’re just on a couch or whatever don’t bother me bc maybe they are family or roommates. I do find it sad that the most blatant ones are for HIV “prep” which just perpetuates a stereotype (which is a true one, but there’s no need to automatically think “HIV” when you see a gay male).

Old 11-28-2022, 07:31 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,076,490 times
Quote:
A gay film is a story with gay main characters and their issues.
Why would this be an issue for anyone?

Old 11-28-2022, 07:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,852,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Why would this be an issue for anyone?
Check the box office. People aren't interested.

It's like when they make films about slavery. Slavery was horrible. No one wants to the entertained by watching a movie about slaves, because it's not 'for fun entertainment.'

Old 11-28-2022, 08:00 AM

1,745 posts, read 763,651 times
i want to watch movies about my minority, my lifestyle, my culture or at least document of my past culture. I dont want to see gay men lifestyle. and others minority it better be a good netural story line.

But since the so call gay 11% and the trans 3% of the population, then they cant be concern if only 11% see the movie

Old 11-28-2022, 08:07 AM

11,409 posts, read 7,729,479 times
Quote:
A) Yes, they are, and it looks like some posts were deleted when someone else said the same thing and I replied that the shoving is not that they (the movies) exist per se, it’s that it’s been so drilled into society at this point that it’s exhausting and it’s turning people off bc the percentage of the population is just not that high. That’s why it’s defined as “shoving” at this point.

B) I saw an ad for it when watching something else. I got a link to share here only.
Since movies featuring heterosexual relationships are 99% of all movies made, is heterosexuality being shoved down your throat? Has it been shoved down your throat since movies and TV have been around? Yes. You’re just upset because your don’t like seeing something that doesn’t confirm to the shoving you approve of and something that makes you uncomfortable for some reason.

Do what we all do if a movie/TV show/Book etc aren’t of interest to us. Don’t go see the movie. Change the channel. Don’t read the book. It’s really as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.