Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 09:18 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Employer gets to set the rules. My business, my choice.
You just chose to keep those who can't find a job more to their liking elsewhere.

Oh, and the kicker: Your employees can seek jobs with competitors who do offer WFH pretty much nationwide. Meanwhile, you've reduced your talent pool to those living within what, a 30-mile radius?

Who gets the better workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 10:39 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You just chose to keep those who can't find a job more to their liking elsewhere.

Oh, and the kicker: Your employees can seek jobs with competitors who do offer WFH pretty much nationwide. Meanwhile, you've reduced your talent pool to those living within what, a 30-mile radius?

Exactly. That being said, WFH works great only if there is a good leadership structure. If not, you see things like what some have posted here.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:

you need to realize one thing though, 78% of the entire workforce is in "hands-on" jobs, that can NOT work from home.

WFH is great, if it is possible for your profession...ie analytical in front of a computer all-day

Old 11-29-2022, 10:46 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you need to realize one thing though, 78% of the entire workforce is in "hands-on" jobs, that can NOT work from home
The discussion is predicated on the idea that the jobs are WFH-relevant.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
The discussion is predicated on the idea that the jobs are WFH-relevant.
eh... not by the title... which implies that genZ is lazy and won't come back to work...it does NOT specify the 22% of jobs that "could" WFH

my daughter is genZ (2002) and she has a great work ethic, her boyfriend, not so much

Old 11-29-2022, 11:12 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Work from home formerly called "The Cottage Industry"

Two good reasons to work from home:

1) Employers can reduce or eliminate office space cost. Look at downtown New York City. And they are.
2) Employees save the time and expense of commuting. Plus employees can live where they want to and usually at a much lower cost of living. And they are.

Before the Industrial Revolution in the UK, the Irish, English, etc. would produce linen goods in their cottages. Today, employers set production goals or develop metrics by having their employees account for every half hour of their time or install key stroke apps on their employees computers to make certain that the employees are putting the time in.

I am not making this up, I worked off-site and experienced all these restrictions.

Best of all for an employer, employees never see one another so they cannot organize over common grievances.

Some business needs in-office employees but it is absolutely more costly.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:13 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:

Those who are willing to go above and beyond to get the job dont and not sit and cry, "I need an emotional day" boohoo.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:26 AM

17,131 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post

1) Employers can reduce or eliminate office space cost. Look at downtown New York City. And they are.
2) Employees save the time and expense of commuting. Plus employees can live where they want to and usually at a much lower cost of living. And they are.
Added bonus for all: When I was down with Covid, I was stuck at home for two weeks. I was still able to work.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:28 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post

Before the Industrial Revolution in the UK, the Irish, English, etc. would produce linen goods in their cottages. Today, employers set production goals or develop metrics by having their employees account for every half hour of their time or install key stroke apps on their employees computers to make certain that the employees are putting the time in.

I am not making this up, I worked off-site and experienced all these restrictions.

Best of all for an employer, employees never see one another so they cannot organize over common grievances.

Some business needs in-office employees but it is absolutely more costly.
Don't forget, it helps with climate change. Millions of cars that aren't on the road sitting in rush our traffic twice a day.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 1,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Those who are willing to go above and beyond to get the job dont and not sit and cry, "I need an emotional day" boohoo.
Honestly, those who choose not to go above and beyond pretty much know not to be suckers for corporate overlords who'd fire them for few extra points in the profit margin.

I had a co-worker who was going above and beyond. Editing footage and just explaining to me that "I wanna put lots of effort into this work, otherwise they might decide to lay us off".

He was an older dude. In his 50s. I think in his mind, it was still 1985. He got laid-off during covid.

It goes to show you that no matter how much work you put into a company, they will throw you under the bus. I'm not gonna be a kiss-ass. I just do the work that is needed.

I only go above and beyond if my pay goes above and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies