Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2022, 07:18 AM

1,579 posts, read 927,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Im curious. What does wanting to WFH and who someone works for have to do with anything? From my experience it is about 50/50 on who someone voted for for those who want to WFH. Do you have something to back up that it is different nation wide?

I was curious about this too, but let it slide. I think SharonMB hit the nail on the head. It reads like an assumption that liberals work in offices and conservatives work in the field/with their hands. I find it funny because I've worked at plenty of jobs where we had an office and labor (like when I worked in a machine shop) and that was not the case at all. You can't make those assumptions based on career.

I really think those who like WFH vs. those who don't is more of an introvert vs. extrovert thing than a political thing. Not always, but I think that's the main driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 07:23 AM

984 posts, read 432,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I can't work from home due to the nature of my work but my wife does. The issue I have is that I used to be able to turn the thermostat down during the day in the winter and the lights weren't on all day like they are now, so it is costing us money. My wife also doesn't like it because she doesn't have any social interactions with anyone. We are Gen X if that matters.
But don't you save on gasoline, wear and tear on your car, and maybe your wife's work clothing?

Old 12-06-2022, 07:28 AM

21,434 posts, read 12,558,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I really think those who like WFH vs. those who don't is more of an introvert vs. extrovert thing than a political thing. Not always, but I think that's the main driver.
I believe WFH could come back to bite introverts. I know that, as one myself, coworkers provided reliable social contacts; I HAD to interact with them every day... Whereas the tendency to isolate and withdraw or be unable to reach out could take over, to harmful effect, if one is allowed to just sit in a house alone every day. It can lead to depression...

I unfortunately learned this from retirement!

Extroverts would be sure to have many other social outlets; WFH might be their ONLY solitary activity.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-06-2022 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-06-2022, 07:37 AM

107 posts, read 50,174 times
I'm at the cusp of Gen Z (I'm 28). Pretty much every job I have ever had was field tech support of some kind, driving to different businesses to fix equipment. Since I'm visiting different businesses all day, my friends always ask me if I know places that are hiring.
When I tell them the Transit District will pay them double what they are currently making at the grocery store to drive a city bus, or that I know a steel mill offering a great apprenticeship program there is always some lame excuse. "That's too hard", "I meant a retail job", "Sounds dangerous"

Old 12-06-2022, 08:00 AM

9,333 posts, read 6,868,747 times
It's a complex subject... I work remotely 3-4 days per week and in office 1-2 days per week. We do have quarterly audits where external auditors fly into town so we do a full week in office then. The interpersonal interaction is important for certain meetings and teams. But for getting work done working at home I'm far more productive. Also not having a 1 hour commute each way is very helpful for evening schedule flexibility. If I can get out at 5 go to the gym and eat I can be back online by 8 pm to have a meeting or two with our India team. If I go into the office and commute by the time I'm done with the gym and dinner it's time for bed.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:08 AM

10,648 posts, read 5,484,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
It's a complex subject... I work remotely 3-4 days per week and in office 1-2 days per week. We do have quarterly audits where external auditors fly into town so we do a full week in office then. The interpersonal interaction is important for certain meetings and teams. But for getting work done working at home I'm far more productive. Also not having a 1 hour commute each way is very helpful for evening schedule flexibility. If I can get out at 5 go to the gym and eat I can be back online by 8 pm to have a meeting or two with our India team. If I go into the office and commute by the time I'm done with the gym and dinner it's time for bed.
Welcome to my 35 year career.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:26 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,314,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Let me know when you can find all of these Chinese engineers with US PE licenses.
That's going to be a lot easier than you think. The percentage of foreign born PE's in the US is increasing dramatically. Outsourcing of engineering jobs is increasing at a rapid pace. While there will always be a reason for limited on-site work, many of the PE's job functions can be performed remotely. It's cheaper to buy a plane ticket than hire an American. If you can do your job from home, so can a guy in China.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3000055/

Old 12-06-2022, 09:41 AM

12,272 posts, read 7,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
That's going to be a lot easier than you think. The percentage of foreign born PE's in the US is increasing dramatically. Outsourcing of engineering jobs is increasing at a rapid pace. While there will always be a reason for limited on-site work, many of the PE's job functions can be performed remotely. It's cheaper to buy a plane ticket than hire an American. If you can do your job from home, so can a guy in China.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3000055/
Then again if it could be done remotely we are left with the potential that after you change your lifestyle to resume the commute your management could just decide to outsource overseas to someone just as able and willing to do it for less money anyway. So they might as well enjoy their present lifestyle with another employer willing to accommodate them working from home or increasing their compensation to account for the commute to work.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:42 AM

10,648 posts, read 5,484,786 times
Once employers can hire workers from anywhere, the candiate labor pool explodes geometrically. Even so, it does not mean you can just hire any dweeb from Delhi.

WFH opens the door to employers replacing American workers with cheaper labor from overseas, but I am not convinced it will be big numbers. Without doubt is a risk for anyone who can WFH. If you can WFH you can WFI (island) or WFA (Asia) or WFM (Mars). It is a risk.

IMHO, the bigger risk American workers face is, blue collar workers replaced by automation rather than white collar workers replaced by international labor.

We will find out. We live in interesting times. Being outsourced would really suck. We already went through waves of that in tech, telemarketing, customer service. Remains to be seen if WFH sees another big wave of outsourcing in other job classes.

I am so glad I am retired. As an engineer, there is no doubt I could have been replaced by someone with good Engish skills living in Taiwan, Vietnam, or Syria.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:55 PM

46,756 posts, read 25,667,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
WFH is nothing new. I've worked from home on and off since 2004.
I had a VT220 terminal and a 9600 baud modem in my apartment in, I'm old - 1991?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies