Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 04:58 PM

7,686 posts, read 13,088,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
So, based on what I'm reading and what I've seen at work, it looks like the younger generation doesn't think they should have to come into work anymore. We've tried work from home at my company. It's not effective. Employees spent a lot of time watching videos and screwing around. I remember trying to reach my assistant during a "zoom meeting," but she was at the mall and had forgotten about it. Those kinds of stories are commonplace with other business owners I've talked with.

I'm looking forward to the recession to we can clear out the workforce and get people motivated to work again.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/28/busin...ess/index.html
Start firing them all one by one and replace them with MEN and WOMEN from previous generations who have good work ethics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 05:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 986,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Property taxes going up by thousands probably stinks more.
Then you have a problem with government tax collection methodology, not worker choice/input/behavior. But, I do see your point.

Also, commuter pollution literally stinks

Old 11-28-2022, 05:01 PM

257 posts, read 161,613 times
And generation boomer refused to keep using outhouses and built bathrooms indoors. Offices are antiquated.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Me too! And I'm at the tail end of the Boomers! I'm on my laptop all day long - NOTHING I do isn't online. And everything I do is independent of others...and among my team we are in three different cities ("regional offices" though we all work from home). Also, one person is an external that would have to get special permission for every occasion he wants to come in to work.

There is no reason in hell for me to go in to work other than to get sick and waste gas. If I did, only 3 of my 8 team members would even be there and we'd have to all call into a meeting the same way we do now from our own homes.

And yeah, I work the same way at home plus it's easy to check email at odd times if something special is going on. I'm just a few years from retirement and I'm sure hoping I don't have to go back in the office. And that's despite my door to door commute being only 10 minutes.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:04 PM

257 posts, read 161,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Start firing them all one by one and replace them with MEN and WOMEN from previous generations who have good work ethics.

Bull S Jobs: A Theory is a 2018 book by anthropologist David Graeber that postulates the existence of meaningless jobs and analyzes their societal harm. He contends that over half of societal work is pointless, and becomes psychologically destructive when paired with a work ethic that associates work with self-worth.

Oh ya sure who feels good going to "work" doing stupid forms and checkboxes all day that serve no purpose but to get filed away in some bottomless data pit never to be seen again.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:06 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Assuming, of course, that you have the same internet at home.....but not everyone has unlimited, broadband, high speed Internet at home.....and further, really don't want it (oh, higher taxes, more people moving in, things like that)
Sure - make that a requirement of employment, else they have to reside within 50 miles of a regional office and go there to work. Why make everyone who actually lives in civilization go in to work because of 1% of the population who choose to live that way?

Old 11-28-2022, 05:06 PM

7,686 posts, read 13,088,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Bull S Jobs: A Theory is a 2018 book by anthropologist David Graeber that postulates the existence of meaningless jobs and analyzes their societal harm. He contends that over half of societal work is pointless, and becomes psychologically destructive when paired with a work ethic that associates work with self-worth.

Oh ya sure who feels good going to "work" doing stupid forms and checkboxes all day that serve no purpose but to get filed away in some bottomless data pit never to be seen again.
Thats why its called, (((WORK))) and not ,"lets go play video games and get paid for it time".

Old 11-28-2022, 05:12 PM

10,623 posts, read 5,484,786 times
Well, today Gen Z has the power. Next year, they won't. Employers will have the power. Life is a negotiation. The balance of power changes from time to time.

Who wouldn't want to work from home? I commuted to an office for 35 years. It sure would have been nice to work from home all that time, no commute, leisurely breakfast, long lunch made at the kitchen counter, frequent breaks. I am honest and would have completed my entire work load, so I would have been more or less as productive at home. It just would have been bad for me, because daytime distractions mean I would have to work make-up evenings or weekends -- which might have ended up being worse than 8 hours at the office and turning it off cold when I walk out the door.

Companies that have seen productivity losses will eventually require back to work and the free market will decide if they get their way or not.

Millenials and Gen Z are a different breed of cat. Not for long. They will all eventually become like my Depression era fathere, because they are going to go through a severe financial collapse that will forever fundamentally change their attitude toward money, work, and survival. Economic collapse and prolonged unemployment are not fun.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Well, today Gen Z has the power. Next year, they won't. Employers will have the power. Life is a negotiation. The balance of power changes from time to time.

Who wouldn't want to work from home? I commuted to an office for 35 years. It sure would have been nice to work from home all that time, no commute, leisurely breakfast, long lunch made at the kitchen counter, frequent breaks.

Companies that have seen productivity losses will eventually require back to work and the free market will decide if they get their way or not.
I wouldn't be so sure, though the past few millennia, you are historically right.. The basic, physical power has always existed in workers and workers only. They have just refused to use it and collectivize. Workers can exist without capital owners; the opposite is not true.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Then you have the wrong job if that is your attitude.
Or the wrong hours, management, and pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies