Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2022, 06:09 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times

Advertisements

Gen X here.

I have worked with Silent Generation, Boomers, other Xers, Millennials, Gen Y, and probably a few Gen Z are coming in.

Something I've noticed is every generation has its slackers. When I first started in the civilian workforce (mid 90's), I worked with a Boomer who took a fifteen-minute smoke break every single hour. Not even remotely kidding.

I worked another job with a fellow Gen Xer who would come in *just* a bit late, take lunches *just* a bit long, and leave *just* a bit early--in other words, not quite enough to get busted by the higher ups, but we all knew what he was doing.

Granted, missing a meeting because you're shopping at the mall is extreme, and to me, that's a 'bust 'em' moment. Said Gen Z'er does need to learn a lesson there.

Some people, regardless of generation, will always try to game the system (whatever said system is.) Others will do what they are being asked to do.

I personally think remote work is beneficial, but I will also agree there are those who aren't suited for it, for whatever reason. Those who aren't doing their work just because they're 'working from home', however, are likely to be the in-office slackers who always take long breaks, gab with others all day, whatever.

Slackers gonna slack if they can. Age matters not here.

As for 'the younger generation is gonna get perks that I didn't get!' argument....that's really kind of true for *every* generation, don't you think? I'm sure my mom (first of the Boomers) never once considered she'd have a *daughter* pulling in a six-figure a year salary, but she's not bitter that I got that and she didn't. And don't we *want* things to be better for future generations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 06:17 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I agree with you. When it comes to feeling ripped off, I (lovingly) tease my Boomer relatives that I envy them and their pensions. That's something that was phased out when I started working. I am okay with doing my 401k and Roth IRA and such, but if I was being honest, I would have loved a reliable pension instead of the 401k.
There is always somebody better off or having it easier to be jealous of. You can drive yourself nuts doing that. My happiness comes from counting my blesssings for what I have, rather than envying those who have it better. I can always find a ton of people who have it worse. Start with Africa...

Companies have never been altruistic, but they used to throw employees a much bigger bone. Companies have become a lot more greedy and ruthless and corrupt.

It is what it is. We all have to play the hand we have, be thankful for the good, and shrug off the bad, and fix whatever is in our power to fix.

Life is harder today than it was in the 50s or 70s, but you will be all right. Everybody is in the same boat. You don't have to come in first place, you just have to do what will make you happy within your real world constraints. It beats dying or being miserable.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:22 PM

1,579 posts, read 949,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
There is always somebody better off or having it easier to be jealous of. You can drive yourself nuts doing that. My happiness comes from counting my blesssings for what I have, rather than envying those who have it better. I can always find a ton of people who have it worse. Start with Africa...

Companies have never been altruistic, but they used to throw employees a much bigger bone. Companies have become a lot more greedy and ruthless and corrupt.

It is what it is. We all have to play the hand we have, be thankful for the good, and shrug off the bad, and fix whatever is in our power to fix.

Life is harder today than it was in the 50s or 70s, but you will be all right. Everybody is in the same boat. You don't have to come in first place, you just have to do what will make you happy within your real world constraints. It beats dying or being miserable.

Oh yeah, I always count my blessings too. I am fine and pretty happy with my life. I have everything I need and a few things I want, who could ask for more. So no worries there. I was just saying maybe work from home is this generation's equivalent to a pension plan (a nice benefit).

Old 11-28-2022, 06:23 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
If having Internet access was the only issue, I'd agree with you. But - there are meetings that require worker interaction that cannot be done over Zoom. Working from home just isn't the same and physical presence. Not to mention the tendency for "workers" to goof off (such as the example of the woman shopping instead of working from home).
I disagree, we have teams of class a surface layout people in India. We have to relay creative designs to them so they can digitize them in a 3D environment. Many of our other designs are done in Mexico and South Korea. It's been that way since the early 2000's when our country offshored tens of thousands of tech jobs.
It is extremely rare that i need face to interaction to do my job duties. Our SMT doesn't agree though.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:28 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The goal of a business is to maximize profits. They should not break the law to do so, but they are obligated to use everything they can legally do to maximize profits. That includes reducing costs, like labor costs.

When you hire somebody to work for you, you have "all the power" trying to get the work done at the lowest possible costs whether you are shopping for groceries on sale or trying to talk a car salesman down from full MSRP.

I can't related to your point of view. Not at all. The way I see it, is you have different parties with different needs negotiating to fill their needs by giving up the least they have to. This is just business. You make it sound like some kinds of conspiratorial slave world. I don't see it the way you see it.

I am sorry that businesses have become so greedy and ruthless, but that is not even in the top 20 of my complaints about how America has gone downhill. I am sorry that we are not still a nation where a union laborer can get a solid middle class wage workign for the same company for 30 years and retire with a gold watch and a pension. Those were great days, back before globalism and before we sold out to China.

I don't see it the way you do. I see the relationship between companies, managers, and employees as purely a business negotiation. If you want more power in that relationship, you skill up with unique and valuable skills so you have few competitors and you have power over a company that now needs you, instead of you needing it.

We all have the power. Most of us lack the drive and work ethic to seize that power.
It may take 80 hour weeks for while until you achieve those skills and abilities.
I absolutely agree. Many employees forget that the owners started somewhere too. We all had jobs along the way that weren't lucrative or particularly enjoyable. But we did them to the best of our ability, learned as much as we could, and eventually took the risk to start our own business. Some succeed, some fail, but all business owners assume a lot of risk.

Anyone can do it, but not everyone has the drive or ability. I think what bothers me about the poor attitude towards work is the fact that most of the young people complaining have almost ZERO job skills or experience, but they are so entitled they can't see it.

We will just let the economy do what it does and soon there will be a lot more people looking for work than there is work to be done. When that day comes, and it will, the Gen Z crowd can apply all they want, but companies are going to blow right past them in favor of more experienced workers with a better attitude. Gen Z thinks they have things figured out, but they are in for a hard lesson. When they are choosing between McDonalds and homelessness, they will learn a skill... Flipping burgers. Maybe they can make a Tic Tok video about it.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Fire each and every one of them.
And hire those who don't abuse WFH.

If someone I employed blew off a meeting for the mall (do we still have malls?), they would be terminated, immediately.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:30 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,001 times
Work in a form and all throughout the pandemic, Gen X, Boomers, etc were the first to return. Gen Y (my peeps) and Z were worried about catching Covid.

Same in the gym.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Oh yeah, I always count my blessings too. I am fine and pretty happy with my life. I have everything I need and a few things I want, who could ask for more. So no worries there. I was just saying maybe work from home is this generation's equivalent to a pension plan (a nice benefit).
The genii is out of the bottle. Nobody wants to return to work. There is not a single advantage to it for the rank and file worker. Now that it has been so long in widespread use, it is here to stay. It is just a matter of negotiation and compensation.

WFH is the new reality. It is not going anywhere. Some old fashioned managers will try to end it. Where it is not productive, managers will seek to end it. The market will figure it out.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:35 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And hire those who don't abuse WFH.

If someone I employed blew off a meeting for the mall (do we still have malls?), they would be terminated, immediately.
I have to admit, I saw that, and I was, "Malls are still a thing?"

Old 11-28-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I absolutely agree. Many employees forget that the owners started somewhere too. We all had jobs along the way that weren't lucrative or particularly enjoyable. But we did them to the best of our ability, learned as much as we could, and eventually took the risk to start our own business. Some succeed, some fail, but all business owners assume a lot of risk.

Anyone can do it, but not everyone has the drive or ability. I think what bothers me about the poor attitude towards work is the fact that most of the young people complaining have almost ZERO job skills or experience, but they are so entitled they can't see it.

We will just let the economy do what it does and soon there will be a lot more people looking for work than there is work to be done. When that day comes, and it will, the Gen Z crowd can apply all they want, but companies are going to blow right past them in favor of more experienced workers with a better attitude. Gen Z thinks they have things figured out, but they are in for a hard lesson. When they are choosing between McDonalds and homelessness, they will learn a skill... Flipping burgers. Maybe they can make a Tic Tok video about it.
Workers will always complain the way soldiers will always complain about their officers. It is the nature of the beast.

A workforce is usually a bell curve. You know how 10% of your workforces always takes 90% of your supervision. Just like the top 10% of your workforce are beasts who do the heavy lifting. Workers aren't equal. Often it is the worst workers who complain the loudest.

Another argument for WFH. You don't have to listen to them complain as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies