Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 03:25 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,925,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Pedophiles are getting less than a year prison time after a range of horrific acts, including raping kids under 14.

Thousands of pedophiles in California getting less than a year in jail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ison-time.html
The database they had access to (probably unlawfully) was from 2019, they admit they were unable to access anymore recent databases, so let's put this into context - the data is almost 4 years old and Daily Mail hasn't even posted the actual database, so how can you or anyone else sign on to this like their data is even accurate? And all the talk about prop 57 is a little odd because sex offenders were not allowed to even apply for prop 57 in 2019. In December of 2020 the California supreme court ruled that non-violent sex offenders had to be given the opportunity to apply for prop 57, the state and CDCR disagreed and argued that they should not be eligible.

Let me know if a legit news agency does a real investigation with current accurate data, until then I will consider this to be a whole bunch of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:26 PM

35,362 posts, read 20,730,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Because too many liberals don’t have a problem with pedophiles.
I worked that scene with HSI - has ZERO to do with politics. What it does have to do with is your judges and laws passed at the state level. Whose running the state ?

With nearly 100,000 offenders, Texas has the largest list of registered sex offenders in the country, and California ranks second with nearly 60,000. New York had the third-most registered sex offenders, with about 43,000 people in its state registry.May 3, 2022

https://www.safehome.org/data/regist...ate%20registry.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:27 PM

37,674 posts, read 21,818,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Look below .Not just calif I’ve been saying we are way to slack on sex predators. They live freely among us and the repeat percentage is astronomical.

37 in one mile radius of my house. what’s in your neighborhood?

https://www.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xy...mart-nsopw.htm
I only had seven near me, but that's still unsettling.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I only had seven near me, but that's still unsettling.
There’s about 450 in your state registered that has nothing to do with those not caught yet. And yes it’s unsettling they just roam. Like letting lions lose in the streets

Old 11-29-2022, 03:45 PM

6,282 posts, read 2,827,358 times
I know psychologists who think that treatment works better than prison and that's why they get let out.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I know psychologists who think that treatment works better than prison and that's why they get let out.
Hm hm then why they repeat? I think you can’t change your sexual makeup. You are who you are and will always revert to that. They can play the game but so long, the desire is always there.

Prentky et al. (1997) examined recidivism rates on 115 child molesters and concluded that: (1) child molesters remain at risk to reoffend long after their discharge, in some cases 15-20 years after discharge; (2) there is a marked underestimation of recidivism rates.

Likewise, a review by the American Psychological Association (2003) concluded that "the research demonstrates that even sexual offenses against children that occurred long ago evince a continuing risk of recidivism by the offender."

Recidivism and Child Molesters

Old 12-01-2022, 03:22 PM

6,282 posts, read 2,827,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Hm hm then why they repeat? I think you can’t change your sexual makeup.
But you can change your behavior.

Quote:
In the late 1980s, Berlin tracked 406 men convicted of sex crimes against children in Maryland. Five years after they were discharged, 2.9 percent of men who completed therapy had been arrested for another sex crime. Men who didn't complete therapy re-offended at a rate of 7.4 percent, according to the article, published in the American Journal of Forensic Psychiatry.
https://www.livescience.com/17519-tr...challenge.html

I can't find details on that a review by the American Psychological Association (2003) study. Did the offenders get treatment?

I saw the Pretensky paper and it said this:

Quote:
The base rate problems we have identified also affect the evaluation of treament outcome. As Barbaree (1996) clearly demonstrated, failure to establish more reliable base rates for recidivism among subgroups of sexual offenders severely undermines any attempt to demonstrate the efficacy of treatment for sexual offenders. The temporal stability of recidivism found in the present analyses suggests that intensive community supervision and aftercare should be the centerpiece of any secondary intervention strategy. This, of course, is not a novel recommendation. It was recommended by Klein and Caggiano (1986) over a decade ago in connection with the 1978 RAND survey of 1,469 inmates in California, Texas, and Michigan. At the present time, the most effective known technique for reducing risk of relapse is intensive supervision by trained probation officers or parole agents and an aftercare plan that includes treatment (e.g., Marques et al., 1993; Pithers, 1990). It appears that such supervision, at least for higher risk offenders, should be long- term. The cost of long-term supervision is relatively trivial when compared to the costs associated with revictimization (Prentky & Burgess, 1990)

Old 12-01-2022, 03:28 PM

24,268 posts, read 16,947,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Who can possibly be surprised by this? I am surprised California doesn't give them free transport to Thailand.

Hey why do that when the state can just hand over a few of the unaccompanied minors that are crossing the Border? They need someone to take care of them.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:38 PM

4,852 posts, read 2,961,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Just another reason why I am leaving this pathetic state.

Amazing how the state has changed, they used to lock up everyone.
Now the worst offenders are spared the abuse of being a pedophile in prison, which was one hell of a deterrent.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:07 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Amazing how the state has changed, they used to lock up everyone.
Now the worst offenders are spared the abuse of being a pedophile in prison, which was one hell of a deterrent.
There are different sentences for different sex offenses. Indecent exposure or lewd conduct result in relatively low sentences and always have. Indecent exposure is a misdemeanor with 6 months in jail and 10 years mandatory sex registration. The penalty for felony rape of an adult is 3 - 8 years. Engaging in a sex act with a child under 10 results in a sentence of 25 to life. I don't think those are significantly different in other states.

Please don't base your opinions on the flawed Daily Mail piece, they claim that they did their analysis on the 1999 sex offender statistics but they are unable to produce the source. They talk a lot about the harm of allowing sex offenders to use prop 57 to shorten their sentence but it was not available in 1999 and they were only included in prop 57 in 2020 when the State Supreme Court ruled that non-violent sex offenders were eligible for prop 57 (both the Governor and CDCR objected to that decision)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies