Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 05:53 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Add Georgia to your list.
Yep. Probably.

One of my big reasons for choosing to move from California to Tennessee 2 years ago was my hope that Tennessee will be among the last to go blue, with the help of my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm starting to feel that way myself. Both sides hate each other. Its a nation divided not united.
By necessity. Our differences are irreconcilable.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
...The rural urban divide has its origins in an activist SCOTUS in the 60's tilting everything in favor of urban areas, without any basis in the Constitution. It will be the death of this country and the source of another civil war. ...
The rural-urban divide is older than Aesop's fable about the town mouse and the country mouse. It's older than the Roman empire or the Persians or the Egyptians. It's as old as civilization itself. It's persisted for over 5000 years. Why wouldn't it persist for 5000 more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
By necessity. Our differences are irreconcilable.
The divides aren't so clear. During the Pandemic I sided with the shrillest of the right-wingers, assailing mandates, lockdowns and the abridgment of civil liberties. I side with the staunchest conservatives on tax-reduction and shifting of taxation from income to consumption. Or guns. Or property rights. Or the interests of investors. But on so many social-issues, I'm to the left of Ted Kennedy or Barney Frank. On matters of religion I'm probably to the left of Fidel Castro or Ho Chi Minh.

Who is my ally? Who is my enemy? If the country divides, which side do I choose?

Old 11-28-2022, 07:01 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
So as centrist as they come, to the point of actually voting against Kristi Noem in 2022, I guess that makes my vote more valuable than the red and blue cult members. The extreme left are so off their rockers though it's easy to see why the polarization exists, and I suspect that conservatives are going to be on the decline in the coming 20 years, given just how brainwashed with leftist ideology today's youth are.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:04 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
And your map makes sense? Empty red counties vs. blue counties as dense as Tokyo? My map at least comports with outcomes and the popular vote, even while it does not display a county break down. Your map looks like the Sentate would by 90-10 GOP. It is useless.
Well you are completely missing the point. The point is not about the most amount of votes. The point is not about how to win national elections. The point is not about the electoral college.

The point is about the vast differences of wants, needs and requirements for most of the area of America versus where most people live.

The point is the two cannot coexist together.

The point is we have a bifurcated country, which will never see compromise and unity again.

There simply is no longer a way to blend what is best for rural America along with what those in high population urban areas desire.

It's apples and Klipsch speakers at this point.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:15 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
We have a case of the tail wagging the dog. By landmass, a very few blue "kings" are subjugating the rest of the nation.

The best solution short of a convention of states is simply to "balkanize." It's the only way out of enslavement for those who embrace the individual liberty as identified in the founding documents, because a convention of states, although codified specifically for this situation, is VERY unlikely.

Of course, there is the "civil war" route, but nobody really wants that. The only way that is going to happen is if the left pushes too far, too fast. Assuming they don't, it's a slow ride to hell with the leftists unless we (the rest of us) can find a way to get off the train. As I said, balkanization--it's inevitable. The only question is how soon and whether it's going to be a violent domestic dispute or a peaceful divorce.

My opinion. Don't have a meltdown, leftists. You have your opinion and I disagree with it as much as you disagree with this.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:21 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
We have a case of the tail wagging the dog. By landmass, a very few blue "kings" are subjugating the rest of the nation.

The best solution short of a convention of states is simply to "balkanize." It's the only way out of enslavement for those who embrace the individual liberty as identified in the founding documents, because a convention of states, although codified specifically for this situation, is VERY unlikely.

Of course, there is the "civil war" route, but nobody really wants that. The only way that is going to happen is if the left pushes too far, too fast. Assuming they don't, it's a slow ride to hell with the leftists unless we (the rest of us) can find a way to get off the train. As I said, balkanization--it's inevitable. The only question is how soon and whether it's going to be a violent domestic dispute or a peaceful divorce.

My opinion. Don't have a meltdown, leftists. You have your opinion and I disagree with it as much as you disagree with this.
Agreed. The issue is leftists truly feel they are 100% right and everyone else is 100% wrong.

Leftists want to force their ideology down your throat and expect you to enjoy it while they feed it to you.

That's why I stated in this thread the only thing we can really do is make peace with Democrats ruining the country at a national level and simply move to a state which works better for yourself.

For lefties, move to a blue state. For people who want to be left alone, move to a red state.

Separate for good

Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The rural-urban divide is older than Aesop's fable about the town mouse and the country mouse. It's older than the Roman empire or the Persians or the Egyptians. It's as old as civilization itself. It's persisted for over 5000 years. Why wouldn't it persist for 5000 more?

The divides aren't so clear. During the Pandemic I sided with the shrillest of the right-wingers, assailing mandates, lockdowns and the abridgment of civil liberties. I side with the staunchest conservatives on tax-reduction and shifting of taxation from income to consumption. Or guns. Or property rights. Or the interests of investors. But on so many social-issues, I'm to the left of Ted Kennedy or Barney Frank. On matters of religion I'm probably to the left of Fidel Castro or Ho Chi Minh.

Who is my ally? Who is my enemy? If the country divides, which side do I choose?
People who think abortion is murder cannot reconcile with people who think it is extraneous body tissue akin to removing belly fat via liposuction.

People who want to ban guns cannot reconcile with people who can only have them pried from their cold dead hands.

People who believe there are 57 genders and pronouns cannot reconcile with people who believe there are two and only two definitive sexes.

People who believe boys and girls should transition to the opposite sex cannot reconcile with people who believe that is an act of cirminal mutilation.

We can't even reconcile over a single orange-haired man.

It is over. There is no reconciliation. You may be part of the 20% middle, but 80% of the nation is fixed and has squared off. Compromise is impossible. One side must win. The other must lose. All states will eventually go blue, either because everyone moves to a city, or because the government has bought everyone off with entitlements, or because the government resorts to force.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
When you look at the latest congressional races, we see the overwhelming majority of land in America is home to Republicans or Conservatives. A very small percentage of the land mass is Democrat or Liberal. Democrats and Liberals can and often do control things nationally, as the highest population areas are mainly in the BLUE areas.

What this has brought us in this country is basically a bifurcated country. It's very simple to understand.

The needs, wants and requirements for the RED areas are not at all the same as the BLUE areas.

The needs, wants and requirements for the BLUE areas are not at all the same as the RED areas.

There is no workable one sized solution for the country, even though the left continues to try to force it down everyone's throats.

Both sides are so far apart at this point and those on the left in positions of power will not stop demonizing those on the right, there simply is no path forward anymore.

We are two completely different countries located within the same borders. We have almost nothing in common. We think differently and at this point, have no respect for each other.

It's over folks. Stick a fork in America. The dream is dead.

America is right of center, not left
As of current, they aren't done counting all of the votes.

The House goes by district.

Land doesn't vote, people vote. The most blue areas are......
1) The most heavily populated areas.
2) The Blackest or most heavily minority-populated districts (with a few exceptions).

The most red areas.....
1) Rural areas that are predominantly White.
2) Small towns and suburban areas that are predominantly White.

It's not just the needs and wants of red vs blue. It's the needs of people along racial and ethnic lines to consider. The needs of people based on age.

The majority of America might look red on the map. But if you look at the total number of votes, if you look at how the districts are divided up, that could tell a different story. Also consider that voting turnouts are lower among some groups than others.

America has always been a divided nation, from day one.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Well you are completely missing the point. The point is not about the most amount of votes. The point is not about how to win national elections. The point is not about the electoral college.

The point is about the vast differences of wants, needs and requirements for most of the area of America versus where most people live.

The point is the two cannot coexist together.

The point is we have a bifurcated country, which will never see compromise and unity again.

There simply is no longer a way to blend what is best for rural America along with what those in high population urban areas desire.

It's apples and Klipsch speakers at this point.
I agree with all that.

I have said as much twice on this thread.

All I disagreed with was the last sentence of your OP "America is right of center, not left". Then you posted a picture which makes it look like America is 90% red.

Then I said that America is not right of center anymore. It diametrically opposed. It is evenly split down the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies