Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2022, 06:32 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No. The reason why the widely anticipated Big Red Wave failed to appear was due to so many voters seeking some middle ground.

When so many voters couldn't find any middle ground in the choices they were given, they created some by voting against the bad choices. Or they stayed home and let others do the choosing.

It's clearing the dead wood out of the political forest. Once the forest floor is cleared of the dead wood obstructing everything, the middle ground is right there, underfoot.
Bingo!!

There are too many extremists around, from both parties. Everything is about one-upping the other side.

There are also people who seem to ignore that some would-be voters stayed home. Some people see the political landscape and lose all hope.

I like the forest reference. When the forest is full of dead wood, it can be kind of hard to walk through a forest. Many people are looking for that middle ground, but it's hard to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 06:55 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
America is a RED country and a middle ground is completely unrealistic at this point!

America is turning into an old 80s gang movie.

red vs blue

Old 12-01-2022, 06:59 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point was that there are many people for whom politics isn't the underlying reason for their decision to live in certain places.

Something else. I like my current job. I moved where I did because it was good for my career. I put on my "big boy" pants and moved somewhere. I didn't have connections where I was moving. I didn't now anyone. I literally moved somewhere alone. I had to start over.

And something about me. I'm a cautious person in terms of moving places. You packed up, moved to Florida, with no guarantees. I don't work that way. Before I move anywhere, I need to make sure I have these things.....
1) A job lined up.
2) A place to stay.
3) Enough money to pay for that place to stay.

I'm not going to move somewhere without a plan. One reason I do my homework about alot of places. I'm not going to just pack up and move somewhere without any guarantees of a job or place to stay. I need to make sure all of that is taken care of BEFORE I go somewhere. Or if I'm going to do some kind of pioneering or homesteading, I'm going to make sure I have a plan. I need to know WHERE I'm going, what kind of place it is, and how I'm going to survive.
Like I said, each generation gets softer than the previous.

Imagine if the pioneers would have only headed west if everything was already done for them and they could move into a safe space.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:08 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
If America has learned anything the past 6 years its you can believe half of what Democrats say and none of what Republicans say.
You can't even see your own biases in your own post.

The real unbiased statement is you should never believe anything Democrats say and you should never believe anything Republicans say.

Everyone is coming from their own agenda angle, which is why they all think they are 100% correct and the other side is 100% wrong.

Don't believe anyone and VERIFY THE INFORMATION INDEPENDENTLY. Never trust. Always verify.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:26 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
As I have stated, I watch CNN and MSNBC and even the morons on The View, so I can get a glimpse into their insanity, racism and hate. I know the context. The context is they traffic in white hate. They traffic in demonizing Republicans. They traffic in division.

The context in this particular one was straight up that Republicans, not just MAGA types, are a danger to the country and are terrorists.

That's it. Straight up.

What I am also saying is you and others on the left like to play this stupid game like you have no idea the level of hate spewed on CNN, MSNBC and The View.

We all know you know, so just stop already.
I understand that. I also know that Fox News spews a comparable level of hate toward Democrats.

But typically, I don't watch FoxNews, CNN or MSNBC. Neither do the majority of people in the country. That would be my point - it's the extremists that get their information from those sources. The silent majority of Americans are moderates who don't pay attention to that tripe.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:31 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Can't go by state, as one small area can have and often does have way more people, thus making the entire state look BLUE.

That's why using Congressional House Districts is the best way to find out how people lean across the entire state and country. Congressional House Districts break down the state into smaller areas, thus giving us a much better look into the political leanings across the state by not being overwhelmed by sheer numbers from one small area of extremely high population on the other side of that state.
Exactly, I live in a blue state....although when one takes a deep dive, it looks much different.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...-maps-show-how

Old 12-01-2022, 07:37 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Everyone is coming from their own agenda angle, which is why they all think they are 100% correct and the other side is 100% wrong.
That's so not true. I've met plenty of people on all sides that don't think like that. The left-right spectrum has never made much sense to most of us. Actual thinking people break down each issue or topic one by one, and often disagree with their general 'side' about at least some of them.

I find that the US liberals are usually around 70%-80% correct, and the US right is usually around no more than 10% correct. Only higher when they're more libertarian minded, or notably moderate. The libertarians are usually around at least 30% correct, depending on how consistent they are with applying the position.

I've never been a member of any party, and I don't plan to be. I'd vote for a Republican, in theory. You all just refuse to run anyone with redeeming qualities, in any of the races I've had the opportunity to vote in.

Everyone should vote for the better candidate. "Sides" and parties are far too emphasized in this country.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That's so not true. I've met plenty of people on all sides that don't think like that. The left-right spectrum has never made much sense to most of us. Actual thinking people break down each issue or topic one by one, and often disagree with their general 'side' about at least some of them.

I find that the US liberals are usually around 70%-80% correct, and the US right is usually around no more than 10% correct. Only higher when they're more libertarian minded, or notably moderate. The libertarians are usually around at least 30% correct, depending on how consistent they are with applying the position.

I've never been a member of any party, and I don't plan to be. I'd vote for a Republican, in theory. You all just refuse to run anyone with redeeming qualities, in any of the races I've had the opportunity to vote in.

Everyone should vote for the better candidate. "Sides" and parties are far too emphasized in this country.
Couldn't rep you again, yet!

Old 12-01-2022, 07:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
7 out of 8 presidential elections not mid- terms. I saw a number for the mid-term where out of 2,000 legislative races the republicans picked up 22 seats. So called open borders, 8 % inflation, gas at $3.50, rising home prices and they picked up 22 seats, what does that tell you.
That tells you how effective the current way we now do elections is for those good at exploiting it.
https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https:/..._the_data.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rom%20%251%24s

When you had to show up at a polling place on election day to cast your vote, "Electioneering", was illegal.
Now...if the "polling place" is your living room/kitchen, not only is it okay to full-on "Electioneer"...but you can even serve as a ballot courier.
People will do all kind of shady and nefarious things when no one is looking....so anything that has people involved in ballot casting while no one else is looking should not be allowed. Not if the electorate expects everything to be fully above boards.
This is actually the way reasonable people understand how Biden beat Trump. Mark Zuckerberg put up over 400 million dollars, actually even taking over the operation of some of the districts in the "swing-States" that determined the election.
It was actually just a matter of 40,000 votes in those few States that put Biden over. Zuckerberg had crews of people he called "Election*Navigators" do just what was described in those areas.
It wasn't lots of phony ballots, or manipulated voting machines, like Trump & his people claim(ed)...it was this method of getting the vote from many inner city dwellers that probably would not have voted at all...and "steering" who they voted for.
And, also, getting Tech & Mainstream/Social Media to push anything negative about Trump or Republican Candidates, and suppress anything positive...and do the opposite with Biden and Dem Candidates...so the public heard a heavily skewed message about the candidates, and a distorted impression of them.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:44 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Since we're doing maps, here's an accurate one:

Not some misleading map showing Death Valley as deep red country. Nobody lives there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies