Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2022, 02:46 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Then, let's do that. If a state like Alabama wants to ban it at 15 weeks, fine. They can have those type of debates.

As it is though, all abortion is banned there, at any stage, without any exceptions for rape or incest.

You wanted to start a thread to talk about "middle ground", well, there you go. Leave the women and their bodies and their private lives alone. They would really appreciate it.

Roe was at least trying to do that.
Leaving them to kill an unarmed innocent human life is not a middle ground. That is caving 100% to your side.

Lefties seem to not understand what compromise is. It's not what you think. Compromise is not conservatives 100% giving in to your side.

Answer me this simple question, which I know you will not.

Why hasn't anyone on the left taken the proper step to get an amendment added to the constitution to allow abortion?

I mean, that would end the debate right there. Once a constitutional amendment is passed, it is the law of the land. No state could stop it.

So why hasn't this been done? You claim to have a massive majority of people wanting abortion up to the moment of birth. Get it done. Get it added to the constitution. Debate ended right there, once it is done.

What is stopping you from making it real law of the land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It should be accessible in or near your own community. There are a ton of reasons why you shouldn't have to travel to another state, which not everyone always has the means or ability to do.

Anyway, you would think that the other side having an underground railroad would give some people some pause, like hey, maybe we're on the wrong side of history, here. Jesus.

The last time we split into free states and slave states, a destructive war between those states broke out. We should avoid that.
Now you are getting it. YOUR side is on the wrong side of the debate.

YOUR side is on the same side as those who thought it was fine to have SLAVES.

What side is that? THE WRONG SIDE!

History will not look kindly on those who endorsed mass genocide of innocent defenseless lives.

Someday people will look back on abortion and ask "what the hell were they thinking", just like we look back today and ask that about slavery.

But again, if you have all this support, why not simply get a constitutional amendment passed? You should have more than enough support for that, right?

Old 12-03-2022, 02:55 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
You claim to have a massive majority of people wanting abortion up to the moment of birth.
I do NOT claim that. As per the link YOU provided, the majority of Americans want there to be legal access to abortion. I didn't say they all want it "up to the moment of birth". You added that on your own.

National legislation to protect abortion access is being tried.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...s-legislation/

Old 12-03-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I do NOT claim that. As per the link YOU provided, the majority of Americans want there to be legal access to abortion. I didn't say they all want it "up to the moment of birth". You added that on your own.

National legislation to protect abortion access is being tried.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...s-legislation/
So you now AGREE the majority of Americans want the government to decide when a woman can have an abortion?

If they don't agree with abortion up to the moment of birth, they are agreeing the government should limit what a woman can do with her body depending on how far along she is.

You can't have it both ways.

It's either you believe the woman should decide or you believe the government should set the timeline.

It's one or the other. Pick one. I dare you.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:04 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
So you now AGREE the majority of Americans want the government to decide when a woman can have an abortion?

If they don't agree with abortion up to the moment of birth, they are agreeing the government should limit what a woman can do with her body depending on how far along she is.

It's either you believe the woman should decide or you believe the government should set the timeline.

The right wing evangelical politicians in red states are dictating the terms at the moment.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:07 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You can always go to a neighboring state to kill your unborn kid.

There is even a burgeoning underground railroad to assist poor women to do this wihout having to pay a penny for either the murder procedure or transportation/hotels.

Nobody is dragging women into hospital rooms to force them to have to deliver their babies. Women are being left alone to privately kill their unborn kids and rip them unceremoniously from their bodies.

It is all good.
If someone told you that you needed to travel to another state for a doctor would you be alright with that, besides this will impact poor minority women for the most part. Middle class women will survive.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Suddenly you can't answer primaltech.

See, here's the issue. If you do not think a completely viable unborn baby at 7 months or older should be able to be killed, then you are indeed in favor of government intervention.

The vast majority of Americans are not in favor of late term abortions. Who prevents women from aborting healthy late term unborn babies? THE GOVERNMENT.

So there you have it. It's you either agree a woman can kill the unborn right up until birth or you agree the government can get involved in a woman's life. Pick one.

There are only two options. Now where people want to draw the line IS what is up for debate. So when you try to claim Americans favor abortion, you never ever include the data which shows IT DEPENDS on how far along the mother is. They favor it in the first trimester, less in the second trimester and are very much against it in the 3rd trimester.

The fact those on the left leave out this important part is very telling.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The right wing evangelical politicians in red states are dictating the terms at the moment.
Well, they are the ones elected. Elect different people if you don't like it. You know..."Democracy".

Why don't you simply get a constitutional amendment passed to guarantee the right to unrestricted abortion up until birth?

You know that would solve your issue, don't you?

If you have massive support for it, why haven't you got it done up to this point?

Crickets chirping.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:47 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
When you look at the latest congressional races, we see the overwhelming majority of land in America is home to Republicans or Conservatives. A very small percentage of the land mass is Democrat or Liberal. Democrats and Liberals can and often do control things nationally, as the highest population areas are mainly in the BLUE areas.

What this has brought us in this country is basically a bifurcated country. It's very simple to understand.

The needs, wants and requirements for the RED areas are not at all the same as the BLUE areas.

The needs, wants and requirements for the BLUE areas are not at all the same as the RED areas.

There is no workable one sized solution for the country, even though the left continues to try to force it down everyone's throats.

Both sides are so far apart at this point and those on the left in positions of power will not stop demonizing those on the right, there simply is no path forward anymore.

We are two completely different countries located within the same borders. We have almost nothing in common. We think differently and at this point, have no respect for each other.

It's over folks. Stick a fork in America. The dream is dead.

America is right of center, not left
I don’t think it’s quite as bad as this, but it’s close. I’m on the blue side, but I agree with you on this point. I think that even though we seem to be incompatible culturally, we’re definitely better off together economically. If we ever divided the country, both sides would be poorer because we wouldn’t be nearly as strong in the global marketplace. So, I think we need to take a page from the Belgian playbook. Belgium is a very small European country made up of two totally disparate parts. In the north, you have Flanders - a Dutch speaking people who are basically the Netherlands. In the south, you have Walloon- a French speaking people who are basically a country backwoods part of France. The two people have nothing in common. Nothing. Different histories, different cultures, different everything. Both sides want to stay united, however, because together they are an important, influential part of Europe. The European Union’s headquarters is located in Belgium’s capital. So the Belgians make it work. The US should do the same.
Reds quit trying to foist your values on us Blues and Blues do the same to Reds.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:55 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Not sure why you're asking me about getting something passed. I'm not involved in the government.

If you're asking what my preference is for abortion policy, then, 24 weeks/fetal viability. It's definitely not a human being at any time before that.

I believe that's what the WA state policy is, but I can understand if not every state is going to have that particular policy. I'm fine with the deep red conservative moron states having some cutoff sooner than that. But I'm not fine with abortion bans, in any states. As confirmed by the poll data that you yourself shared, the majority of the entire country believes that women should have safe and legal access to abortions. Some of them with restrictions, perhaps. But if we're talking less than a few weeks into fetal development, then it shouldn't matter what state you are in.

You're depriving women of their basic liberty and bodily autonomy. The reason this topic was brought up was to highlight how the extremism of "Red" America is dividing the nation, needlessly. People don't want these ban policies being forced onto them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies